Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mid 30s ISTP friend said recently that he has no emotions/ feels nothing.

I'm curious about this. I recall seeing passing references in PeRC threads to ISTPs saying they feel nothing or do not have emotions, or thought that this was true about themselves when they were young, but I don't really understand what is going on with this.

Is this perhaps true in some way? In the moment, or forever?

Is this maybe some sort of loop, or startling lack of Fe for a relatively adult ISTP? If so, what are the consequences? Is he just going to be fucked if Fe kicks in, or what?

Are there any good threads about this in the past that anyone recalls?

Any other ISTPs who have experienced this and can comment?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
"Having no emotions/Feeling nothing" isn't an istp issue, or an issue of any other mbti type.

So whats really going on with him? I mean, what are the actual issues this is causing? In what context did he bring this up -- does he think its a problem? Has he always been this way? Has he ever loved anyone, anything.. etc.. - no matter what mbti type, people feel things, even if not as intensely as others.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I don't mean to imply that as a group, I believe that ISTPs don't feel anything. Only that if others have specifically experienced this, could they tell me more.

I actually can't remember the specific conversation that preceded this, unfortunately. And no, I don't think it's universally true even for this specific person: he clearly feels, references and displays emotions at times (sporting events, trite as it may sound, are a clear example, and he has also said he loves his family and friends. Those two of the clearest examples I can recall).

On the flip side, he has also compared himself to Dr. Manhattan in The Watchman: totally detached and apathetic about everyone and everything.

He generally says he is content: I have no reason not to take him at his word, generally. The only evidence I would cite to the contrary is that he drinks a hell of a lot. These things read to me as repressed emotion, or depression, rather than no emotion: but that could be an incorrect inference on my part.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to imply that as a group, I believe that ISTPs don't feel anything. Only that if others have specifically experienced this, could they tell me more.

I actually can't remember the specific conversation that preceded this, unfortunately. And no, I don't think it's universally true even for this specific person: he clearly feels, references and displays emotions at times (sporting events, trite as it may sound, are a clear example, and he has also said he loves his family and friends. Those two of the clearest examples I can recall).

On the flip side, he has also compared himself to Dr. Manhattan in The Watchman: totally detached and apathetic about everyone and everything.

He generally says he is content: I have no reason not to take him at his word, generally. The only evidence I would cite to the contrary is that he drinks a hell of a lot. These things read to me as repressed emotion, or depression, rather than no emotion: but that could be an incorrect inference on my part.
I am capable of strong emotions, I just don't A) usually know how to express them, B) care enough to express them, and C) get overwhelmed by them (usually). I'm generally rather stoic, however if I'm extremely stressed and/or lacking sleep my emotions can "take over".

Also, when I detach it's only because I have nothing to say, I'd really just rather be an observer. I engage my Fe around close friends, usually in banter, and in small groups. Usually when I'm "animated" like that it's primarily because of Se - you cited that he gets excited by sports games. If I'm really into something I get super involved and energetic, and it can surprise some people.

Edit: To add, my Dad is also an ISTP. I'm younger, but we definitely act similarly.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I feel like I have no feeling most of the time. I show no emotion either. I have recently detached from all friends and family pretty much, I am not sure why, just need to be alone for a while.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I treat this as a stereotype. I neither admit nor deny I have emotion. Whenever it happens, it happens. I think I'm just less enthusiastic about things, but not "insensitive". Whenever a feeling hits me, it just less likely to be converted into emotion, but instead thinking about the feeling (understanding what the feeling is, putting it into proper words, how does it emerge, the significance of it etc.). That may escalate and develop into thinking loops and so it explains why expressing an intense feeling is a very difficult task for me.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
'Tis a name I haven't seen in a while, I think.

Anyway, any mid 30 ISTP (assuming the assessment is correct) making such remarks shouldn't have made it to their mid 30's for a multitude of reasons I'm too lazy to bring up here.

At the very bottom line however, if the assessment is correct and he means what he says then he hasn't learned shit in life.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
then he may be a sociopath

·
Registered
11 Posts
It does depend on context. I will say I have no emotion, thought or opinion on anything that is not relevant in my world. The context here is relevance or direct involvement. The recent train crash in Spain is an example. People around me have been shocked and has made them sad. It is not relevant to my life and does not affect me directly. It is another train crash and I am not particularly moved by it. Likewise if something happens that gives joy to the masses, like the birth of a future king, it is another birth. Again I am not moved by it. I have been told I am the hardest person 'to read'. I do not know what that means. I do feel happiness, sadness, love, anger and so on. The difference to me and someone else is how it is expressed. I have been told I do not express any of it well or at all. My straight-laced face reveals little because most of the time, in my opinion (context) some stuff just does not matter.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Lies. Possibly depression or avoidance as you have inferred, but since I do not personally know him I can't really make a judgement on what it is exactly that ails him. The last time I thought I was that invulnerable / beyond hope it culminated in me having a emotional breakdown- and that happened in my teens I really can't imagine how much worse it'd be if I had allowed it to build up to my 30's.

Any ISTP who seriously regards themselves as a heartless robot needs to get a good wake up call, because we aren't robots and thinking that way is only going to get him stuck in a very toxic mind place. He may never get out, since he has managed to stubbornly soak in that puddle of poison till his 30s, he probably knows all the mind tricks he can use to kick himself back to where he feels most safest and where the nonsense mantra of "no one can hurt me, cause I can't be hurt" actually works instead of being totally ridiculous and naive.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Having no emotions is a psychological disorder and therefore not type-related. But this guy's behavior doesn't fit the profile. He's just a moron who thinks he can make his emotions go away by wishing it so, with the help of liquor I guess.

Also it's a way for people with low self-esteem to convince themselves that they're tough, badass, untouchable, or whatever.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I have to wonder if there's something else going on here--if, by his saying that he doesn't have emotions, he's just saying that to protect himself. Or maybe he'd been hurt before and doesn't want to show his more vulnerable side. I mean, someone in their 30s has probably accumulated their own share of life experiences, regardless of type, and it seems that a healthy person of any type would invest a little in their emotions or acknowledge them. The fact that he drinks enough to the point where other people think it's a problem makes me think that he's got a lot of issues to deal with.

By the time someone reaches their thirties, they usually start to develop an interest in things related to their inferior; it seems like this guy has a completely antagonistic attitude towards Fe-related stuff (although the feeling function doesn't really have anything to do with emotion), which goes back to my first point, I guess...

Reactions: petitpèlerin

·
Registered
855 Posts

I'm curious about this. I recall seeing passing references in PeRC threads to ISTPs saying they feel nothing or do not have emotions, or thought that this was true about themselves when they were young, but I don't really understand what is going on with this.

Is this maybe some sort of loop, or startling lack of Fe for a relatively adult ISTP? If so, what are the consequences? Is he just going to be fucked if Fe kicks in, or what?

oh we have emotions , we just dont find them comftable . so we lock them away as good as we can , sometimes therefor we dennie their existance in ourselfs .

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
I believe when I have been that lackluster and depressed about life I was like clinically depressed state of mind. When feeling everything was nothing.

Otherwise in general I do not think this is something I generally deal with.

I imagine no emotion is something felt by people that are either clinically depressed finding no meaning in anything or found in sociopaths, not something based on type.

Also my Fe is very well developed in most aspects (outside romantic relationships) because it was forced to be on some level as a child and I really do not have that much of an issue with balance overall. So I do not like when its implied that every ISTP for example does not have a grip on their Fe. Mine is executed well and developed better then my Ni.

·
Registered
855 Posts

oh he has emotionds and feelings , we istp just dont know how to handle them and dont understand feeling our or emotionds , so we burrie them whit a big rock on top and walk away from the grave .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts