Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about how to word this post for a good 20 minutes now. Lack of ideas is not an issue, but I always feel a bit uncomfortable sharing personal information with strangers. Oh, I should warn you; private might not mean the same to you as it does to me. Ask me about my last bowel movement, which political party I vote for, or even how much I weigh. More than happy to share! Ask about something related to emotions, and I'll be about as talkative as an oyster.

I decided to sign up here mainly because of the INTP forum. While I enjoy hanging out with good friends (not too often, ofc), I don't know any INTPs irl. This seems like the perfect place to get to know some -- in the comfort of my own home.

Some (not too personal) facts about me:

-I use brackets (way) too often
-English is not my first language
-I always laugh at my own jokes
-I use the backspace key so often, the little arrow mark has rubbed off
-I like llamas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Yiva! I'm new here too, joined for pretty much the same reasons. I can most definitely be compared to an oyster - or any other tight-jawed seafood for that matter - when it comes to talking about emotions. I took the MBTI test a couple days ago, and was shocked at how accurate most of it was - even including the contradictory information I found.

Some interesting things about me (I hope you don't mind if I copy your format)

- em dashes dominate my writing - it's seriously becoming a problem
- I'm studying languages because it's what I found the hardest to understand in high school. I am now learning French, Spanish and Japanese
- I've become slightly obsessed with the whole INTP / MBTI profiling system, and have spent the last few days looking up every possible combination in an attempt to read more about myself, finally culminating with me joining this forum
- I am majorly obsessed with books - at my worst, I spend 6-8 hours a day reading various forms of fiction. And yes, I've read Harry Potter at least 20 times, if not more.
- I have become so prone to procrastination that I once finished an essay literally five minutes before it was due, giving me barely enough time to get it printed and run to class.

Nice to meet you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, and welcome to kmatt (it feels weird to welcome someone when I just joined myself, lol)!

@xEmilyx I love the llama song, and can listen to it for longer than anyone I know :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Well hai thar, fellow INTP. I struggled with a thread such as this myself when I joined not even a week ago (so I said hello on someone else's welcome thread). It's awkward welcoming oneself... it's almost like saying "I AM HERE. I know you were all awaiting the glorious day when I would join this forum, and now it has come. Bask in my greatness!"

Well okay, it's not very much like that, but I can't get myself behind anything like that sort of pretention ._.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Happy posting, glad to see more of my type on the forum. Although, INTPs are of the greatest numbers on the internet, so you're really joining a swarm. Welcome anyway! :D

Reactions: Ylva and Berdudget

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@RoSoDude Thanks for the welcome!

You are spot on when it comes to how I felt, trying to introduce myself. Shame I didn't consider posting in someone elses thread as an option. Oh well, the world didn't implode, so my introduction can't have been that bad ^^

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@RoSoDude - It felt pretty awkward for me, too. o_O And I'm extraverted. ^^

@Ylva - Actually, that was one of the more graceful and hilarious intros I've read. No worries. Welcome to PerC! :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Berdudget - A... year? And no intro? This, my friend, is a problem. Click new thread. Title it something like "Hello". Reveal your awesomeness to the world. XD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Julia Bell Thank you for those kind words! I think I like you already (flattery will clearly get you anywhere (*resists urge to explain why I wrote "anywhere" and not "everywhere"* (oh look, a brakcet within a bracket within a bracket))).

@Berdudget Thank you :) My metaphorical balls are apparently huge. Feel free to introduce yourself in this thread, should you experience a sudden burst of e-testicle growth. I'll feel less awkward if it's not all about me.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Ylva - Haha, you're welcome! ^^ Feeling slightly bashful here. Out of curiosity, why did you say "anywhere" as opposed to "everywhere"?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Julia Bell Because I don't believe flattery will get you everywhere. Some people are immune to it, and in some situations it simply won't work. "Anywhere" seems more vague, and also sounds better in a humourous setting. I like to make my own rules when I'm not happy with the existing ones, though it probably just makes me look like an ignorant fool -_-'

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have to admit though, flattery is a pretty useful tool, especially when you want someone to do something for you. :) Or in those awkward moments where you really have no idea what to say to someone, and you hear yourself say "I really like your shirt..."

·
Registered
23 Posts
- em dashes dominate my writing - it's seriously becoming a problem
I was going to correct you since that's technically not an em dash, but I suppose it's a decent substitute since the em dash isn't on most keyboards. Instead I'll just remark that parenthetic expressions and periodic sentences are similarly my bane (they're ugly, poor in pacing, and hard to crop out).

I haven't been here long, but there seem to be disproportionately many INTPs. Anyone with admin access want to write a SQL query to check this out?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I was going to correct you since that's technically not an em dash, but I suppose it's a decent substitute since the em dash isn't on most keyboards. Instead I'll just remark that parenthetic expressions and periodic sentences are similarly my bane (they're ugly, poor in pacing, and hard to crop out).

I haven't been here long, but there seem to be disproportionately many INTPs. Anyone with admin access want to write a SQL query to check this out?
I have too many pet peeves of my own, from the lack of use of the Oxford comma to the failure of many to understand the subjunctive. It's "If I were", darnit.

As for why there are so many INTPs, there are a few reasons. Firstly, we INTPs are the scourge of the internet. We are one of the types that is simply the most likely to find home on forums and wikis and all sorts of things where we can delve into our interests and find people who share them -- rare in real life, often. Also, the horrible online MBTI tests will often give people INTP. Watch this for a good explanation:

Reactions: sotic

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have too many pet peeves of my own, from the lack of use of the Oxford comma to the failure of many to understand the subjunctive. It's "If I were", darnit.

As for why there are so many INTPs, there are a few reasons. Firstly, we INTPs are the scourge of the internet. We are one of the types that is simply the most likely to find home on forums and wikis and all sorts of things where we can delve into our interests and find people who share them -- rare in real life, often. Also, the horrible online MBTI tests will often give people INTP. Watch this for a good explanation:

(video)
Subjunctive, eh? Glad I finally know the term for that (before I would always say "use 'were' for hypotheticals"). Cool video series, too. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts