Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A post by @Vishalmisra

Whether the reader of this article is an ENFP, or indeed knows an ENFP; they should (theoretically) report a love of individual freedom as characteristic to the ENFP mindset. So what does liberty mean to the ENFP?

The ENFP is a strange creature, we are swift to resist being put in a box, or an attempt to attach a label to us. The irony herein lies that MBTI effectively categorises all into one of sixteen "types". So what is about freedom that the makes the ENFP heart and mind thrum with pleasure? Lets see if I can shed a personal light on what makes the ENFP love freedom.

Creativity
ENFPs are creative critters, I am yet to meet one without some form of creative outlet. Indeed, the ability to play with abstracts, possibilities and connect links to form a big picture comes with the cognitive functions attributed to the ENFP.

Our Extraverted Intuition (Ne) allows us to dream of a plethora of "what if" scenarios, which in turn couples with our Introverted Feeling (Fi). This system of personal values does not correspond to what society wants of us. Rather ENFPs attach personal merit to their ideas, thus blanket rules are of little use to the ENFP mindset, which immediately dreams up situations which the rules simply did not account for. Lastly, our Extraverted Thinking (Te) function allows us to find patterns and trends with ease.

The traditional ENFP spends as much time daydreaming, if not more, as they do rooted in reality. So how does independence square into this?

Managing the ENFP
As an ENFP, I abhor being micromanaged. Indeed, limiting the number of possibilities is something that I struggle to comprehend. Often I make slightly off the cuff decisions. In 2009, I upped and left for Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. Anyone (unreasonably; bear in mind I was 22 in 2009) restricting my mind from its whims, or my body from carrying out those whims can only cause me distress.

Like many ENFPs, I insist that we all take responsibility for our actions and reactions. Thus, any mistakes I make due to impulsiveness or abstract play are mine to make. This is a principle that Fi dictates I apply to myself too. It is best, in my eyes, for one to make their own choices and walk their own life path. If your life path brings you into contact with an ENFP, you will find a soul who screams individuality.

Experience Life
Finally, ENFPs retain enthusiasm. It may be a bit much to say that it was an ENFP who coined the phrase "carpe diem"; yet with the amount of possibilities life leaves us to explore only sends the ENFP brain into overdrive. Let us gnaw at life with our childish glee and energy! The ENFP approach to life isn't the only approach to life available, but let us find ourselves by allowing us to explore exactly what life has to offer. The only thing I like more than dreaming of what tomorrow will bring is experiencing it for myself, with me and only me at the driver's seat.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts