Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear INFPs,

I have closely known three INFPs during my life, and I've loved them all. You know, as an ENTJ, I tend to automatically assign value of utility to people as I meet with them. "X would be good for Y or if I need Z." And it's funny - I don't find INFPs particularly useful in the same way I find other types. You all aren't stunningly, brilliantly intelligent, though you are often smart and insightful. You aren't the MOST artistic people I meet, though my INFP brother does make some of the coolest music I've ever heard. You don't typically present yourself to me in a way I can compete with you, which I always enjoy. You're just there, being all INFP-like, and I can't help but find it really cute in girls, and very conducive to good friendships with guys. And I don't even have a blessed clue what it is that I like about INFPs. But they're just awesome to be around. They make life a little brighter, a little deeper, and a little sweeter. And sometimes as I'm all focused on making the world better through long-term, big-vision plans, I wonder whether or not the INFPs aren't doing the same thing, but in their own little way.

Anyway, that's the most sentimentality you'll get out of me for the week.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
As an INFP with an ENTJ as my nearest and dearest human in the world, the feeling is very mutual.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Edit: I'm going to follow this up with something more substantive later. It's homework and sleep for now, but I'm feeling some ENTJ appreciation welling up that I'd like to reciprocate!

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
@Jordan J Thank you very much for your kind words :) You really are making the day of many an INFP. A few amongst us think we aren't appreciated and useless, you've just shown that this is not true :) Thank you for that.

You wonder if INFPs have plans.....ehhhmmm....I am with Cap on this one. I just make it up as I go along and do whatever feels right to me.

Reactions: Jordan J

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
A but bittersweet.... Or maybe sweeterbitt..... Thank you though. :) All INFPs really want is to be accepted for who they are...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edit: I'm going to follow this up with something more substantive later. It's homework and sleep for now, but I'm feeling some ENTJ appreciation welling up that I'd like to reciprocate!
Haha, I look forward to seeing that! I'd be curious to hear what you have to appreciate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
OK, I'm back!

Oh my goodness, where do I even start with this. I'm only close with one ENTJ, but have worked on project with another, and recently had an awesome professor who is an ENTJ, too!

It’s kind of a funny way to start this letter of appreciation, but I sent this article to my ENTJ boyfriend the other day because I knew he’d like it, and I think it encapsulates what he’s kind of like in a wonderful way: Google partners with Microsoft to fight false positives in the antivirus industry | VentureBeat | Security | by Emil Protalinski

Justice League-style stuff, right? I love that ENTJs think and move big. A lot of people see the flash and bang of it all, but what glows in the cracks to me is that underlying Fi motivation to see that something becomes a bit more right and fair in the world. For my SO (since he's who I've observed the most), this translates to how he approaches all the good things he does for others. It's like you'll almost miss it, if you're not looking. He's exceptionally generous, dependable, and thoughtful... but he does all these things with so much consistency and with such an easy, friendly air that I think people stop noticing or take it all as a given in knowing him. Like, he might be having a particularly busy week, but if we've planned to get together then he'll put everything aside and treat that time with me like it's 100% just for me (he won't use that time to complain about work or be distracted in some way by the work he needs to get back to). He'll act like that's all that there is to it. And now, my life is full of these little moments of attention and care. I know that these little things are gifts he's giving me, but do others? In a way, I think he likes it this way, so he can see how much something he does genuinely makes a situation better, but I can't help but wish more people really noticed and would tell him that he's an amazing person to have in their lives.

I strangely love the fact that people need to prove themselves to an ENTJ. There are two parts of the skepticism that people usually assign XNTJs. The second isn't highlighted enough. 1. XNTJs will hold off on accepting your idea until it's run through some checks. 2. They will also be willing to fully and fairly consider your idea if you present it to them to do so, regardless of kind of distant status you have with them (I don't know if this is applicable if you're on some sort of blacklist with them though.). When someone presents an idea to an ENTJ, it's like I can see their words pass into their brain and take a good, full swing around the place before they respond accordingly.

Conversely, I know my ENTJ will respond with as level of consideration to anything I discuss with him as well, showing his specific care for me in not what he decides to tell me in response or how he chooses to deliver the response but by putting more time or consideration thinking over my ideas. This, for me, is honesty and openness that resonates as really true and brave with my Fi love of authenticity.

What's more, for me, is an ease of communication. You're right, there is a lack of competition, and instead there's respect and learning. We both also have a positive outlook for the future and the possible, which translates into a lot of energy and support for each other's ideas, dreams, goals, etc. I've never felt more heard than with my ENTJ. And for something of a quieter, softer (externally, at least) person, it means a great deal to me. He's an extrovert, and this has been really helpful in creating a good flow of communication between us. At the same time, he's efficient and task-oriented, so he spends a lot of his day doing work and getting things done on his own, and I think I've experience more of an understanding of my introversion and independence inherently because of this. There's a great mash-up of different strengths and a surprising amount of understanding!

Well! Looks like I could go on and on, but I'll stop here. ENTJ <3

Oops, I didn't quote you! @Jordan J

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
We take flattery exceptionally well too.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,341 Posts
Feelings are definitely mutual friend. I have a close ENTJ friend and i admire her drive and passion she pours into things, we also share a deep frustration of incompetent things which is a laugh. It's so true about there not being competition, i feel like it's two skilled masters at polar ends showing respect for each others crafts, but at the same time won't bend over for anyone. Communication is clear and fun since we both share Te and Fi functions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I'm back!

Oh my goodness, where do I even start with this. I'm only close with one ENTJ, but have worked on project with another, and recently had an awesome professor who is an ENTJ, too!

It’s kind of a funny way to start this letter of appreciation, but I sent this article to my ENTJ boyfriend the other day because I knew he’d like it, and I think it encapsulates what he’s kind of like in a wonderful way: Google partners with Microsoft to fight false positives in the antivirus industry | VentureBeat | Security | by Emil Protalinski

Justice League-style stuff, right? I love that ENTJs think and move big. A lot of people see the flash and bang of it all, but what glows in the cracks to me is that underlying Fi motivation to see that something becomes a bit more right and fair in the world. For my SO (since he's who I've observed the most), this translates to how he approaches all the good things he does for others. It's like you'll almost miss it, if you're not looking. He's exceptionally generous, dependable, and thoughtful... but he does all these things with so much consistency and with such an easy, friendly air that I think people stop noticing or take it all as a given in knowing him. Like, he might be having a particularly busy week, but if we've planned to get together then he'll put everything aside and treat that time with me like it's 100% just for me (he won't use that time to complain about work or be distracted in some way by the work he needs to get back to). He'll act like that's all that there is to it. And now, my life is full of these little moments of attention and care. I know that these little things are gifts he's giving me, but do others? In a way, I think he likes it this way, so he can see how much something he does genuinely makes a situation better, but I can't help but wish more people really noticed and would tell him that he's an amazing person to have in their lives.

I strangely love the fact that people need to prove themselves to an ENTJ. There are two parts of the skepticism that people usually assign XNTJs. The second isn't highlighted enough. 1. XNTJs will hold off on accepting your idea until it's run through some checks. 2. They will also be willing to fully and fairly consider your idea if you present it to them to do so, regardless of kind of distant status you have with them (I don't know if this is applicable if you're on some sort of blacklist with them though.). When someone presents an idea to an ENTJ, it's like I can see their words pass into their brain and take a good, full swing around the place before they respond accordingly.

Conversely, I know my ENTJ will respond with as level of consideration to anything I discuss with him as well, showing his specific care for me in not what he decides to tell me in response or how he chooses to deliver the response but by putting more time or consideration thinking over my ideas. This, for me, is honesty and openness that resonates as really true and brave with my Fi love of authenticity.

What's more, for me, is an ease of communication. You're right, there is a lack of competition, and instead there's respect and learning. We both also have a positive outlook for the future and the possible, which translates into a lot of energy and support for each other's ideas, dreams, goals, etc. I've never felt more heard than with my ENTJ. And for something of a quieter, softer (externally, at least) person, it means a great deal to me. He's an extrovert, and this has been really helpful in creating a good flow of communication between us. At the same time, he's efficient and task-oriented, so he spends a lot of his day doing work and getting things done on his own, and I think I've experience more of an understanding of my introversion and independence inherently because of this. There's a great mash-up of different strengths and a surprising amount of understanding!

Well! Looks like I could go on and on, but I'll stop here. ENTJ <3

Oops, I didn't quote you! @Jordan J
I really liked reading that. Ah man, I got to find a good INFP soon. It kills me, because I knew one... But I started liking her too late, and someone else swept her off her feet too fast. And I'm pretty sure she liked me while I was oblivious to it. Maybe that's why I chose to write my original post? Hmm. Oh well. Anyway, thanks again! I appreciate your ability to see that we really will accept any idea. Some people fail to see that. My sister actually keeps a short list of things she's convinced me of. About the blacklisting thing: I don't blacklist any ideas, just people :p. But if they get an idea into my ears, I'll still think about it. This dynamic comes out in Bible College a lot: people tend to be shocked by the amount of different theological views I'm willing to believe. I weigh them all by Scripture, and not by my past beliefs or by my denomination's past beliefs, so I find myself at odds decently often. But now I'm just rambling. Thanks again! I like hearing thoughtful descriptions of how people feel.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I really liked reading that. Ah man, I got to find a good INFP soon. It kills me, because I knew one... But I started liking her too late, and someone else swept her off her feet too fast. And I'm pretty sure she liked me while I was oblivious to it. Maybe that's why I chose to write my original post? Hmm. Oh well. Anyway, thanks again! I appreciate your ability to see that we really will accept any idea. Some people fail to see that. My sister actually keeps a short list of things she's convinced me of. About the blacklisting thing: I don't blacklist any ideas, just people :p. But if they get an idea into my ears, I'll still think about it. This dynamic comes out in Bible College a lot: people tend to be shocked by the amount of different theological views I'm willing to believe. I weigh them all by Scripture, and not by my past beliefs or by my denomination's past beliefs, so I find myself at odds decently often. But now I'm just rambling. Thanks again! I like hearing thoughtful descriptions of how people feel.
Yep, I love this very open approach to ideas. Something I aspire to. That's really interesting to consider how this approach would play out in religious discussions! I think this is an essential way that demonstrates how XNTJs are much more flexible than they are made out to be. Seeing my ENTJ professor use this during class was really impressive. Someone could say a lot of silly things in a row that he'd break down, and he'd still give the next thought from that person full consideration to see if there was something in there to jump off of and create some good conversation. Awesome. So conducive to learning and cultivating divergent thinking/creative solutions!

I'm sorry to hear that you missed your chance with this INFP! I hope the person and timing is right for you next time around :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
awww.... touching... T~T

just when i thought of avoiding ENTJs bcoz their profile screams "arrogance"... and they're way 'too' ideal for me...

but well, i'm single so.... will you marry me? Lol just kiddin' honey :kitteh:

i enjoy reading this, and i appreciate it a lot... *hugs :3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts