Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at school, I'm currently in this team consisting of me, an ISFP girl, and two guys (one is ENTP, another ENTJ). Now, we were having this discussion about the ISFP's boyfriend, who seems to be serious about having kids (we're 17/18 and he's 24) with her and getting married, and even if she was against the idea, she seemed surprised by my extreme reaction.

Personally, I would completely freak out if my boyfriend seriously talked about having kids and getting married when I'm 18 - I've commitment/trust issues already, not to mention I don't really like kids all that much (legasp! but sadly, true), and I'm also slightly bordering on being overly ambitious, so being a young mother/wife really doesn't fit into my plans of (world domination) studying/working my ass off the coming years, perhaps even abroad... I wouldn't have the time nor energy to dedicate myself to a family, and I wouldn't want be the mother/wife you never see around. Even without my ambitions, I wouldn't want to be a young mother, as I think it's far too early (at least for me) to settle down before I'm at least 28-30 years old.

The ISFP thought I was overreacting about it, so she told the guys. The ENTP guy didn't have much of a reaction besides, "Seriously? That's freaky", but the ENTJ was freaking out about it as much as I did. He told some of his other ENTJ/ENTP friends who were nearby, and they all seemed pretty freaked by the situation and answered they'd react the same way as I would have had they been in the ISFP's shoes. (At first the ISFP reckoned it was only because he asked guys at first and that they lacked a maternal instinct, but there were some ENTx girls too who had the same reaction as I did.)

None of mine and the ISFP's non-ENTx friends seemed to share that opinion, though. They wouldn't want to be young parents either, but none of them seemed as freaked out by the idea as me and my ENTJ workmate.

So I'm guessing it's an ENTx thing (or at least, an ENTx teenage thing)? Or was it just coincidence?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I don't know if its an ENTx thing or a xSFP thing.

I think a lot of personality types would be against it for different reasons.

For me, I would be against it because it flies in the face of long term plans. It would be tough for school, for career, financially, etc. Babies are really expensive - I would never make one without figuring out the financial implications... not to mention the logistics of school and career. It would drive me up a wall to knock up some girl (even my wife!) without knowing monthly income, our schedules, expenses, etc.

I would need some stability before making a decision like that - I guess xSFP would be prone to doing something like that on a whim?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh. Gah. Wayyyy to young for me. I've always imagined getting married in my lat 20's, after I've risen to the top. :proud:

What would freak me out even more is the age difference in the two partners. 17 and 24? 7 years apart? I wouldn't see that much of a problem in this same age difference in older individuals, but it seems to me (and I'm getting a little mathy here) the greater the ratio between the two ages, the more freaky it would seem to me. For example, a couple aged 60 and 67 doesn't seem all too odd to me, 17 and 24 just... I don't know. I'm over thinking this. :tongue:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Marriage in 2010 is for two kinds of people: gays, and Muslims.

Someone needs to tell Mr. 24 yr-old Male what's up. Why buy the cow, etc. etc.

In fairness, at least he's thinking about marrying young women, instead of decaying hags in their 30s.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Marriage in 2010 is for two kinds of people: gays, and Muslims. Someone needs to tell Mr. 24 yr-old Male what's up. Why buy the cow, etc. etc.
Funny, but totally not.

Aye 18 is young. But he's 24 so to him, he's probably ready. So its her choice. If she feels ready, she's ready.

But yes, I'd say the ENTx's do tend to get very carried away with "controversial" issues.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Well, I'm not consistently seeing any one person right now, but if ANY guy I was going out with even -joked- about the idea of me marrying him and having kids, I'd be across the planet before you could say 'adieu'.

Of course, I plan to be across the planet next year anyway. :happy: "World domination" is on my checklist. (So scratch that off yours, it got on MY list first.)

No, seriously. I'm running a business, working as a F/T college student and a market research analyst, planning to teach abroad in as many continents as I can by next year, hope to get my MFA from an Ivy League and then teach at universities...

And then I'm toying with the idea of teaching skydiving for a living. So no room for storklings. If any women want to complain about that, they can HAVE my goddamn eggs and HATCH them, poach them or whatever they want to do with them. I simply have no use for them.

And I don't really care for kids much either. I don't see what the big deal about them is. And marrying is not on my to-do list either. The only ring I want to own is a crime ring.

(only kidding....don't report me to Guantanamo Bay or anything...I don't think there are many ESL teaching positions available there...only "pick up the soap" positions.)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Funny, but totally not.

Aye 18 is young. But he's 24 so to him, he's probably ready. So its her choice. If she feels ready, she's ready.

But yes, I'd say the ENTx's do tend to get very carried away with "controversial" issues.
Agreed. My issue with the 24 year old is why does he need to marry a 17 year old though? Completely dismissing the fact that it is illegal, I can't see what kind of person 6 years out of High School or 2 years out of college would want to marry a High Schooler (no offense to any HSers here). The maturity, lifestyle, and education/career gap would be overbearing for me.

The 7 years isn't the bad part for me - its the fact its on a different stage of life (high school, college, entry level career, etc). A 30 year old dating a 23 year old would be fine... but I would even be iffy if one of my post-college graduation friends would date a college student let alone a high school student.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, techically it's not illegal for her to marry since she's 18 xD I'm one year younger than the rest of the seniors. As for him, he has never attended college. He doesn't have a steady income and still lives with his parents, but he has plenty of savings for when he moves out next year and gets a proper job, so he considers himself ready to have a family.

Personally, I'm not as freaked out about him wanting to settle down than him expecting her to do it. If my boyfriend as much as simply insinuated that he takes for granted that I'm supposed to marry him at the age of 18, I'll be on the next flight to Dubai.

wiarumas: I'm not so sure about the gap part... she considers him to be mature in comparison to the douchebags she has dated in the past, but somehow I almost feel like he's younger than us in terms of naivety and innocence. His lifestyle is pretty much the same as it was when he was our age, too, his high school education was far easier than ours so he actually lacks the knowledge we have, and his 'career' these past few years has consisted of random part-time jobs xD;

God: I'll give you the U.S and Australia, I'll take on Europe and Asia, and together, we non-kid-loving-women shall conquer the world. Deal?:tongue:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are you sure these are ENTx's?

The first things that comes to mind for me:

ENTx's have always seemed really rare in my life.
Even knowing as many ENTx's as you mentioned in this situation, much less having them all be in the area seems unlikely.
Where are you that you are meeting so many ENTx's?
How can I get there?

Also, my current plan is to get a wife when I find someone worthy of sharing my life with and never having children.

What I think of the situation is that the 24 year old is a pervert and probably isn't going anywhere in life if he's hitting on 18 year olds, and it's too bad the girl has fallen for him, but that's her mistake.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
wiarumas: I'm not so sure about the gap part... she considers him to be mature in comparison to the douchebags she has dated in the past, but somehow I almost feel like he's younger than us in terms of naivety and innocence. His lifestyle is pretty much the same as it was when he was our age, too, his high school education was far easier than ours so he actually lacks the knowledge we have, and his 'career' these past few years has consisted of random part-time jobs xD;
Any 24 year old dating a 17 year old has issues... like maturity, mental, and lifestyle issues and probably shouldn't be married to any self-respecting person. Unless of course that 17 year old is not a trophy herself.

Then again, I have to refrain myself because not everyone is out to make something out of their lives and are happy being uneducated and barely employed. Oh well, I guess let them eat cake in their lives of mediocrity.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
God: I'll give you the U.S and Australia, I'll take on Europe and Asia, and together, we non-kid-loving-women shall conquer the world. Deal?:tongue:
No.

I'll take on Asia and the Americas. Oh and Antarctica...it's also highly populated, albeit with penguins.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
An animal is a biological adult as soon as it's able to have children. The age of consent was originally introduced as a population control in the 1700s, since people don't have children if they're not having sex. It was illegal, in the U.S., for people under the age to have sex with anyone, including other people under the age, until the law was changed in 1998.

The change of the law was when 2 people under the age were caught uploading a sex tape to the internet, and they were charged with exploiting minors, even though they were the minors. The stated reason for the change was that this charge wasn't the original intent of the law. It seems like our culture has created an entire ideology from a law introduced for a completely different reason. I'd guess the law was unquestioningly carried out for a couple hundred years by SJs, and since no one was taught what the original reason for the law was, they just came up with their own reasons.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I know what you mean, my boyfriend went out with me at 17 (remember in England it's legal at 16) It's a case of maturity. Bt I do find my fiance constantly treating me like a kid, I'm 23 now and he's 30.:crazy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.