Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apperantly, yes. And even quite likely. A little introduction: when I first took the test, I was an ENTJ. I didn't doubt it, because the overall sounded a lot like me, but then I started to doubt things and felt like I was too feel-y to be a Te dom. Also, I grew up with a Fe mother, and valued emotion so having Fe seemed kind of magical. I remember having doubts and asking my friends if I'm a T or an F, and they all said: T. Yes. But people online said I gave them a Fe vibe, and I decided it makes sense to trust the experts online rather than my friends, who obviously don't know shit. So I was ExFJ (most of the time ESFJ after realizing the N biases, lately ENFJ but for the past two weeks I was thinking ESxJ again). But then I had a game with friends where we assigned ourselves fictional characters, and mine were always ESTJs (with the rare exception of ENTJs, other SJs and one ESFP which was totally weird). Anyway, I thought about it again and I think I'm actually an ESTJ. Yeah, no kidding.

Why am I Te?
Rules and order. Yes, I'm a sucker for structure, hierarchy and rules, always has been. I was sure it's an SJ thing but for god's sake, I'm an extreme case. I've had a military activity in school where we had to go to a military base and act like real soliders for 5 days (preparing us for the actual army), and I blossomed. No kidding, I had so much fun keeping the rules! Responsible, mature, directive and bossy. Oh yes, always. Nothing gets by me. Give me the facts! thought this was an SJ thing, but also no. I'm factual and need a proof for everything. Ambitous and driven. I thought this was an NJ thing back when I thought I was one, but setting a goal and reaching for it was Te, not a vision (Ni). My visions are ever changing. I'm not warm. Newsflash! I'm not good at taking care of others when they're sick, I'm just annoyed by them or don't realize they're in distress. I like helping people a lot, and I'm the mother-hen of my group of friends, but that's simply because I'm the adult in charge. I don't get emotionally invested, like ever. I'm very nice to others but if I'm a horrible friend in which I forget to buy gifts for birthdays, forget to talk to people because I just don't want to or telling my friends I don't have energy to hang out with them when I don't. I love interacting with people I don't know as long as I don't have to keep in touch with them. When I fight with friends I'm usually so freaked out over the fct that "they're not being logical I don't understand what they're doing fuck off". I hate Fi. It's just so selfish and annoying! Just, get over yourself. It's my least used function, and my most hated one. Under stress I have emotional and irrational outbursts. Maybe it's because it's my inferior? EVERYONE THINGS I'M A LOGICAL THINKER. Today I sent again Te vs. Fe descriptions for my friends and they were like "You're Te". I repress my emotions and anger a lot, I'm always in control. I like logic games so much it's insane. Everyone around me consider me being the most rational.

I'm enneagram 3, and I figured being a Fe is more attractive so I tried being more Fe, but I think it's a learned behavior. Once I learned all the functions my questionnaires became biased in order to get the type I want, but everytime I took a different one I looked at the previous one I wrote and thought: damn, this is not like me at all!

Why I actually might be Fe?
I don't like offending people and under stress I become submissive. I don't like to have conflict around me, and it's rather unpleasent. I don't lack tact and I have very good manners. Te has the reputation of being blunt. I do that, quite a lot, but I can recognize when bluntness is not fitting and then I act differently. I cry easily. And in front of people, though it makes me kind of uncomfortable. If I watch and emotional movie or read something about animal curelity for example, I cry. Though I admit it's more because I put myself in their shoes, and thinking about that kind of pain makes me sad. I do want to please people, especially authority. I need this approval, though I'm not sure if it's because I want to be liked or respected. I do care what others think of me, but it's not to the extreme like my F sister, for example. I want people to think highly of me, but I know I have people who love me and give me confidence. I'm not crazily competitive. I know not all Te users are, but I still wonder. I don't always play to win unless I really care about the game personally. I'm good at giving an emotional advice. I'm the conflict solver in my group of friends, when they fight I always try to get a compromise and help them, and I'm great at that. I don't argue for the sake of the arguement. It depends. Sure, if it's a logcial arguement I'll argur my point of view, but leave me out of emotional arguements. Sometimes my mother can be very bossy and tells me what to do to the extreme, but I shrug and do it because I know talking to her is pointless. (one time I tried talking to her about something that bothered me, she just said "bite me"). I remember there was a thread about the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and as an Israeli I tried giving my point of view but after a while I got so emotionally drained from seeing people bahs my country like that and I stepped out of the arguement because it was an emotional toll on me.

Anyway, that was long. I do believe Te is a better fit, but I want to hear your opinions, especially @ilovemusic006 since it was her idea for me to make a thread about this.

Posting the EDIT here as well, in case someone misses it: I'm probably not a ESTJ, because I really don't use Fi. Also, I'm not orginized. Reading now a post someone made about being an ISTJ made me realize that I don't do schedules or lists, and I dislike planning so so much, I loathe it. I like rules, structure and hierarchy to keep general order between people and it keeps me from doing a slack job about things I don't care about. Also, I don't like routine. I can't see myself working 9-5, for example.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One question--when you were in military camp, did you more enjoy following the rules or imposing those rules on others?
We didn't have the chance to impose those rules on others because we were divided in groups and are commanders were actual soldiers doing their military service, so none of us imposed rules on anyone.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm not sure you're a Te-dominant if you're not imposing your order on others/the world. The typical ExTJ blind spot is Fe, but you seem too aware of others' feelings for that. I don't think you're an Fe dominant either. I'd buy Ti dominant. But this is just from your descriptions in this thread.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure you're a Te-dominant if you're not imposing your order on others/the world. The typical ExTJ blind spot is Fe, but you seem too aware of others' feelings for that. I don't think you're an Fe dominant either. I'd buy Ti dominant. But this is just from your descriptions in this thread.
Ti dominant? What gave you this vibe? I'm just curious, not attacking you or something like, I'm really interested.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ti dominant? What gave you this vibe? I'm just curious, not attacking you or something like, I'm really interested.
Two elements: Substantively and Stylistically

Substantively:
You are logical, but it's so highly personalized. For example, the criteria you use for deciding you're a horrible friend are completely related or derived from what you do--there's no objective standard, a "Dr. Phil says that a good friend does X and I don't do X" (in my experience very common in ESTJs). There's no inductive process--no citations of specific incidents that build up to a global truth, a "I forgot Jane's birthday last month, and I didn't hang out with Sam last week. These show I'm a bad friend" (another common ESTJ practice). You employ a more deductive process--"I've decided these are the criteria for being a good friend, and I don't meet them. Nope, we're keeping to generalities here."

I think feeling does seem to be inferior (or tertiary, but definitely weaker than thinking). In no small part I am getting a mix of Fi and Fe themes--but then, as inferior functions, they tend to manifest behaviorally in a very similar way. Both inferior Fi and Fe are associated with emotional outbursts in particular. But where inferior Fe tends to lead to conflict avoidance--which you show--inferior Fi tends to lead to conflict seeking--which you don't.

That was why I asked the question about imposition. Extraverted functions are imposed on the outside world. Every Te-dom I know loves imposing logic and order on others. My ESTJ father cannot walk by a corner of a rug out of place without trying to straighten it. My ENTJ aunt cannot leave things at "give me a call on the day and we'll figure it out"--she will get her datebook out and nail down the time and place at that moment. Another ESTJ friend obsessed with an online game (Ingress) loves it because he can control the world to a degree by giving suggests for new portals and the like. He does tons of betas because he loves giving feedback and when you talk to him, it's often about, "I suggested this, and they did it"--the external, independent existence gives him validation. I get more of an Si-user vibe from the way you talk about following the rules. It doesn't rule out ISTJ, but for me it's not Te-dominant.

Stylistically
Illustrating with a quote:
I hate Fi. It's just so selfish and annoying! Just, get over yourself. It's my least used function, and my most hated one. Under stress I have emotional and irrational outbursts. Maybe it's because it's my inferior? EVERYONE THINGS I'M A LOGICAL THINKER. Today I sent again Te vs. Fe descriptions for my friends and they were like "You're Te". I repress my emotions and anger a lot, I'm always in control. I like logic games so much it's insane. Everyone around me consider me being the most rational.
What's going on here, cognitively?

We start with an assertion. It's a bold assertion that definitely suggests dominant judgment. Then we get right to the glib reasoning. You think it's selfish and annoying, and they're totally subjective criteria in a traditional Ti-overstatement/universalization. But it doesn't end there (why not)--it's not only least-used (that would be true for a Ti dom) but it's also the most hated--that's a bit strong for the more measured Te (and again, the subjectivity in that statement).

Then we get to the Fe bit--turning to your friends for independent confirmation. Not against functional definitions (as I'd expect from a Te-dom), but "what do my friends think?". And this is presented as external confirmation. But note that you made the choice for them, basically, by restricting yourself to Fe vs Te. Then we have more Fe--"everyone around me considers me the most rational."--that's highly subjective (again) and also not particularly useful--what if all your friends were ISFPs? But it is typical Ti-overstatement. "I like logic games" is as close as we get to specific examples/evidence.

So in total, we're getting a lot of rhetoric here and not many clearly presented, plain facts. Lots of universal, general claims and few definite criteria. We get tons of opinions and conclusions and few standards and norms. All of that is where I see Ti>Te.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
@Jinsei Do you have an idea at least of what judging function Gray Romantic probably uses?

Reactions: Adena

·
Registered
97 Posts
@Gray Romantic
I agree with @TyranAmiros that you are probably a Ti user.I wish I knew more about Ti though.You don't come off how I think a Te dominant type would come off in how you interact on here and especially in the videos you posted.You seem to be genuinely warm and considerate of the emotions of others.You should trust your friends if they say you are more logical because they know you more personally than anyone on here does even if they don't have knowledge on the functions.You being conflict avoidant is also another thing that makes me think your not a Te user.I think you should read about Ti and see if you can relate to it.It might be good to ask for the opinion of other Ti users to and see if they see you as a Ti user.I will try to find you good descriptions and post links on here later.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I'll jump in on this after work. FWIW, Much of what you consider Fe isn't Fe at all.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I agree with @ilovemusic006 that you don't come off how I think a Te-dom would. I've always seen ESTJs as more... intense, in a "do, do, do!" sort of way (since my type is pretty much the complete opposite, I've always thought of ESTJs as, well, the opposite of me), and not as warm, as she said (although I realize that that could be a stereotype, so I'm not using it as a determining factor). It could also just be the influence of your Fe mom, though. I think @TyranAmiros presented some damn good points about you being Ti, but it's still possible that you could be a Te user, just not a Te-dom (a lot of the things that you said did seem more Te to me than Ti).

I'm only going based off of what I've read about these functions, though, since Te is my inferior function and I don't use Ti at all, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@Gray Romantic
It would be helpful if you posted a picture and described your interpretation of it.That would maybe rule out if you use Se or Ne.
Mhm, okay!

So I chose this photo, it won't let me copy it. Keep in mind that I literally just woke up so bear with me.

Okay lots of snow and ice, very mountain-y, look like Antartica. It all looks a little blurry, the sky- because of the clouds. The ice is blue, which is really cool. One time I went on a trvael to Norway and climbed on an iceberg which was also blue, it was pretty cool. I tried to come up with a symbolsim in order to sound clever but I'm not doing this morning, nah uh. Just two icebergs, one of them is kinda dirty and big, and the other is small.

I tried a more "polished" picture:

A little house of wood and a man sitting on a window, only his bottom half is showing. It look terribly uncomfortable, why would he do this? He's wearing a black suit of some sort, probably some kind of emo shit or something. Lots of leafs on the ground and many trees, it looks like it's in the woods and it's autumn. The bottom of the picture is dark and the upper half is brighter, might be a symbol of hell/earth vs. heaven. The man is trying to hide his twisted mind from others. No wait, he's alone, that's not right. He's trying to hide from himself.

EDIT: I suddenly remember a moment that could indicate a Ti user: I went to a museum with my whole family (grandparents, uncles, parents, etc.) and when we first walked in there was a sign with a hidden message and we needed to find the code. My mom understood the code and I translated it, and it says there's a whole game, each sign will lead us to another sign and and every one of them will have a different code. So I decided I'm gonna go and crack them all. At first my sister joined me but she got bored, I literally just left my family in order to play the logic game.

And won, because I'm super good at logic and cracking the codes.

I got a poster about the brain from the museum hahaha but I didn't do it for the prize! It was fun.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ESTJ - Implementor Supervisors < this book might off you some insight.
The Keys2Cognition test might offer a bit of reassurance.

Is it really that important which type you are at the moment?
I'm not gonna buy a book though, my parents won't let me ;)

Technically, it's not. But it doesn't matter the fact that I still want to know after studying for two years and I haven't got a clue. I took it now, but each time I take it it's a different result according to how I see myself. However, somehow it's always Se/Ni over Si/Ne.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************************* (37.9)
excellent use
introverted Sensing (Si) ****************************** (30.7)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************* (31.3)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************** (27.4)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************* (21.5)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.7)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.6)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************** (16.5)
limited use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ESTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Sensing (Se): Immersing in the present context. Responding naturally to everything tangible you detect through your senses. Checking with what your gut instincts say. Testing limits and take risks for big rewards.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ISTP, or ENTP

EDIT: I'm probably not a ESTJ, because I really don't use Fi. Also, I'm not orginized. Reading now a post someone made about being an ISTJ made me realize that I don't do schedules or lists, and I dislike planning so so much, I loathe it. I like rules, structure and hierarchy to keep general order between people and it keeps me from doing a slack job about things I don't care about. Also, I don't like routine. I can't see myself working 9-5, for example.

·
Registered
116 Posts
EDIT: I'm probably not a ESTJ, because I really don't use Fi. Also, I'm not organized. Reading now a post someone made about being an ISTJ made me realize that I don't do schedules or lists, and I dislike planning so so much, I loathe it. I like rules, structure and hierarchy to keep general order between people and it keeps me from doing a slack job about things I don't care about. Also, I don't like routine. I can't see myself working 9-5, for example.
Ha, ha. I relate to liking structure, but not really being into scheduling. Do you still identify as a J type?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha, ha. I relate to liking structure, but not really being into scheduling. Do you still identify as a J type?
Nope. This thread really got me thinking. People often see me as J because I give the impression of hardworking. IRL... Not always. Things go easily for me and I'm very good at "looking like" I'm very hardworking, haha ;)

I think my friends types me as the STJ because this is the role I take in the group, but as an indiviudal- I'm seriously considering ISTP.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
After reading the first post, I got the impression of ESTP.

I'm not basing that solely on MBTI though. My understanding of functions is based on a combination of MBTI, Socionics and Carl Jung as well.

One common mistake in MBTI is treating Ti and Te as completely different. They are not. Jung said that T is a function, which makes Ti and Te two different approaches to the T function. Ti is just as focused on structure as Te is. Ti-Ne will structure concepts and theories, Ti-Se will structure the world in a way that could easily be mistaken for Te.

Reactions: ilovemusic006

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After reading the first post, I got the impression of ESTP.

I'm not basing that solely on MBTI though. My understanding of functions is based on a combination of MBTI, Socionics and Carl Jung as well.

One common mistake in MBTI is treating Ti and Te as completely different. They are not. Jung said that T is a function, which makes Ti and Te two different approaches to the T function. Ti is just as focused on structure as Te is. Ti-Ne will structure concepts and theories, Ti-Se will structure the world in a way that could easily be mistaken for Te.
I wonder why ESTP over ISTP? Because seeing myself as a Se dom would be really weird, since my Se had only recently developed (at least, I think so...)

1 - 20 of 172 Posts