Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This question has sifted throughout my mind for years, ever since I read up on the percentages of each MBTI types. There is an estimation of an average of 2-3% for INTPs or INTJs (even less ~0.5-1% for females?) that exists in the US (not too sure about the percentages in other parts of the world but I can't imagine it would vary too greatly for INTPs/INTJs), and significantly higher percentages for certain other types.

So here are some questions for you to muse over - from some general questions to some more specific ones:

• What if the world had an even distribution for all MBTI types (i.e., 6.25% for each of the 16 types). Would that change our current world as it is presently or remain relatively the same?
  • Under the assumption of the 6.25% distribution, would INTPs function easier in this new world? For example, would the INTP find it easier to bond with others (more INTPs around), less pressured into functioning in a world catered to a certain type, general appreciation (both INTPs and of other types) of the existence of different types in the world, etc.
  • Under this same assumption, would any 1 type out of the 16 MBTI types be more successful or advantageous than the rest?
  • Would this hypothetical be an ideal world for you or just plain chaotic and impossible?

Share your thoughts.

Reactions: Trec93

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I can't imagine what would happen in that circumstance, but given that the current distribution is very different from that, i guess this makes for an equilibrium condition. I mean, that distribution would perhaps be unstable, and events would go in such a way that the distribution is forced to get back to how it is now over time. Basically natural selection.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
If there was an island of INTPs running around, without electronics, without books, without internet, would anything at all get done?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If the distribution was even I'd imagine that the society would be more accepting (as now it heavily prefers SJ types for example) since there would be a greater need for that to get the full advantage out of the population. I would say that the differences in success between the 16 types would actually become less significant. In a non-technological world it would mean natural selection all over again but nowadays it's all about society and its expectations.

Naturally it'd be easier to bond with your own type yet I don't think it would ultimately be that significant, at least the NTs might stop feeling as special as some tend to. If the situation changed from the current one, it would first mean chaos but later on adapting. If the distribution had been equal from the beginning it would work because everything would have been built around the existing standard.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Why not go full on "Brave New World" and just program everyone at birth?

Reactions: WeirdWeirdo

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't imagine what would happen in that circumstance, but given that the current distribution is very different from that, i guess this makes for an equilibrium condition. I mean, that distribution would perhaps be unstable, and events would go in such a way that the distribution is forced to get back to how it is now over time. Basically natural selection.
Why is that? If the world is evenly distributed from the start, would your equilibrium condition still apply?

If there was an island of INTPs running around, without electronics, without books, without internet, would anything at all get done?
That is beyond the questions that I am asking, but yes, because of survival instincts. If you were left on your own without food, resources, shelter, and all the basic necessities on an island, wouldn't you at least try and gather some of those resources for your survival? Self preservation is generally in every one of us, regardless of our MBTI type.

Why not go full on "Brave New World" and just program everyone at birth?
LOL it's quite funny how you alluded to Brave New World from this thread. In BNW, the distribution itself is extremely skewed. Alphas and Betas are not mass produced, while Gammas, Deltas and Epsilons are heavily mass produced for the world to function. I don't see how that novel can be realistic at all, since the author never told us how to achieve that world, but just what could possibly happen in his particular hypothetical. Well, that and unless you can provide everyone in this hypothetical a copious amount of Soma for us to all get get high on every single day and to facilitate free sex exchanges between anyone and everyone, old and young :tongue:

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I'm not sure how much of an effect it would have on society in terms of grand, sweeping changes, but I do think that it could potentially create a more balanced baseline of what is considered "normal," in terms of social interaction.

Reactions: akiyama

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
From a global perspective like draculaoverlord said, it won't last because of the structures already in place. But I think a lot of things would be better. You'd probably have a stronger likelihood of interesting discussions taking place on a daily basis, completely reforming the nature of small talk. I think just that reformation alone would make it completely worth it. You'd have more compelling companies, video games would probably be on the level of sports in cultural participation... idk I see so much positive with more N around. There will be less stability for sure, but hey I'm alright about a little bit more adventure in life anyway. It doesn't have to be completely constant and manageable for it to be worth it.

Reactions: Grandalf

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Why is that? If the world is evenly distributed from the start, would your equilibrium condition still apply?
It's only speculation, but what i meant is that i imagine that if the current distribution is like it is, then that's because it converged to it as an equilibrium point, and i imagine the same thing would happen if the distribution started from something else.

You may find this explaination more compelling to get an idea of what kind of principle i'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's only speculation, but what i meant is that i imagine that if the current distribution is like it is, then that's because it converged to it as an equilibrium point, and i imagine the same thing would happen if the distribution started from something else.

You may find this explaination more compelling to get an idea of what kind of principle i'm talking about.
I understand the advantages of the evolution theory and strategies, but I'm not sure why you posted that link. The evolutionary stable strategy holds true to a certain point. You are assuming that the "equilibrium" or the proportion of the different types in the current world today is fixated, and that it is the true equilibrium or balance in this world. But how can you be sure this world has reached that perfect equilibrium already? How do you know if it's not still adjusting and constantly changing? The article you provided me also suggests that "in nature, changes in an organism's physical environment or species invasion can change all the rules of the game, and strategies may topple and be replaced by others better suited to the new environment." This supports what I am saying. In a world where all types are evenly distributed, new strategies may arise to accommodate the increase or decrease of other types.

Reactions: White River

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I understand the advantages of the evolution theory and strategies, but I'm not sure why you posted that link. The evolutionary stable strategy holds true to a certain point. You are assuming that the "equilibrium" or the proportion of the different types in the current world today is fixated, and that it is the true equilibrium or balance in this world. But how can you be sure this world has reached that perfect equilibrium already? How do you know if it's not still adjusting and constantly changing? The article you provided me also suggests that "in nature, changes in an organism's physical environment or species invasion can change all the rules of the game, and strategies may topple and be replaced by others better suited to the new environment." This supports what I am saying. In a world where all types are evenly distributed, new strategies may arise to accommodate the increase or decrease of other types.
Yeah, that's also possible, we don't have enought data to settel this. It was only speculation. But there is something on the back of my head which is telling me that a world with evenly distribution of types wouldn't be much stable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just feel like there could be a good story to tell with this teory as the main plot, just imagine all the different adventures one could find in a world much "equally balanced" and what would be all the disadvantages... So much to work with. The aceptance for so many different people nad their own diferent techinques to survive this world, how would each type of personality see one or another, what if the clasification were made since school and we got to share all our experiences only with people of our same kind, totally divided... I don't even know but it sounds awesome to me.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that's also possible, we don't have enought data to settel this. It was only speculation. But there is something on the back of my head which is telling me that a world with evenly distribution of types wouldn't be much stable.
Okay, fair enough. Thank you for your input.

I just feel like there could be a good story to tell with this teory as the main plot, just imagine all the different adventures one could find in a world much "equally balanced" and what would be all the disadvantages... So much to work with. The aceptance for so many different people nad their own diferent techinques to survive this world, how would each type of personality see one or another, what if the clasification were made since school and we got to share all our experiences only with people of our same kind, totally divided... I don't even know but it sounds awesome to me.
I know, right? I actually have a lot of book ideas, but it's the actual part of actually bothering to write it down that sucks :tongue:

·
Registered
595 Posts
We would already be colonizing other planets, government less corrupted due to brighter population, an intelectual standard would be much higher, and because the population would be much much brighter... (you know where this is going).

At least that's what I think, an amazing idea, the world would be much better place than it is now, the actual world does not favor INTPs at all, we know from history that there were many ancient philosophers in the past and they were very respected, are they now?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We would already be colonizing other planets, government less corrupted due to brighter population, an intelectual standard would be much higher, and because the population would be much much brighter... (you know where this is going).

At least that's what I think, an amazing idea, the world would be much better place than it is now, the actual world does not favor INTPs at all, we know from history that there were many ancient philosophers in the past and they were very respected, are they now?
Interesting idea. Yes I agree that INTPs are, in general, underrated and hidden away for the most part. What do you propose to make your ideas a reality in this hypothetical? I think having INTPs and INTJs working hand-in-hand together would be a great solution. INTPs would have the ability to come up with a wide variety of clever strategies and solutions for a better world. However, they need someone else to implement their ideas. That is where INTJs come in and work with the INTP. I hear that INTPs and INTJs generally make a great team if their values align.

Reactions: Trec93

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think this would be a great idea, because a lot of PerC users seem to be affected by the 'special snowflake syndrome'; they want to stand out. I'm sure not 90% of PerC users is an Intuitive, I think most of them just have tested intuitive when they took a MBTI test and maybe they know that they're a sensor somewhere deep down. (This doesn't apply to everyone of-course!)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think this would be a great idea, because a lot of PerC users seem to be affected by the 'special snowflake syndrome'; they want to stand out. I'm sure not 90% of PerC users is an Intuitive, I think most of them just have tested intuitive when they took a MBTI test and maybe they know that they're a sensor somewhere deep down. (This doesn't apply to everyone of-course!)
Or maybe intuitives naturally gravitate toward anonymous forums to share ideas while all the sensors are outside chasing butterflies.
I do suspect some posters who claim to be NTs are unconsciously deceiving themselves, but they're by no means a majority.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know, right? I actually have a lot of book ideas, but it's the actual part of actually bothering to write it down that sucks :tongue:
Haha yeah, that's totally me too, I've started writing so many books so many times and I have the stories of so many freaking characters in my head but there's no way I'm writing it for real. Ugh.

Interesting idea. Yes I agree that INTPs are, in general, underrated and hidden away for the most part. What do you propose to make your ideas a reality in this hypothetical? I think having INTPs and INTJs working hand-in-hand together would be a great solution. INTPs would have the ability to come up with a wide variety of clever strategies and solutions for a better world. However, they need someone else to implement their ideas. That is where INTJs come in and work with the INTP. I hear that INTPs and INTJs generally make a great team if their values align.
I think I've read this before somewhere and it's actually a very interesting idea although I assume we're talking about mental work? It could sound like a stereotype but I particularly am very bad with handwork and stuff, I though INTPs (and INTJs) would be more or less like that...

·
Registered
LSI 5w4 5-9-4
2,374 Posts
If the distribution was even I'd imagine that the society would be more accepting (as now it heavily prefers SJ types for example)
You mean we wouldn't all be expected to behave, think, act, feel, and have the same motivations and self-image as SJ types all the time by every "institution" that we are thrust into from birth? We wouldn't be treated like living shit-stains for not being good little SJs?

I hear that INTPs and INTJs generally make a great team if their values align.
Hahaha! Oh...

(The trope of INTPs needing the "big brother INTJ" to help them actually do anything can die quietly somewhere)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You mean we wouldn't all be expected to behave, think, act, feel, and have the same motivations and self-image as SJ types all the time by every "institution" that we are thrust into from birth? We wouldn't be treated like living shit-stains for not being good little SJs?
That's a harsh way to say it I guess, but technically.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts