Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read how I've ordered my cognitive processes based upon six or so times I've taken the cognitive processes test, you can guesstimate what 'type' I am.

But I wanted to ask a question: what cognitive process would you say this is?

So, for example, this afternoon or last week at a major league baseball game, I become so acutely aware of 'everything' around me. The shades of color become more pronounced. At the baseball game, the dark blue neon light in the distance was so...blue. The 'blueness' was so beautiful I can't even describe it! Or the patches of green grass that varied in shades. Or how the lights accentuated the colors on the trees. Or this evening I catch a glimpse of the light through the trees, and I felt sad but comforted by the dying leaves on the dogwood. How it shades from a lime green to a tainted red and finally to a light, crumbly brown. Shapes become pronounced; people's bodies become more accentuated. Features I hadn't noticed in others appearances becomes noticeable. Both the flaws and the beauties. I'm aware of how it all affects me, and I feel quite alive. I feel in sync with the world, and even amongst a crowd of thousands I feel like I'm a part of it all.

It's all so beautiful, but it happens all so fast.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
Sounds like Ae (extroverted alcohol).

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Ha! That's a good question. But the answer is, 'no'. I was quite sober.

But that's the weirdest thing. I had no sort of any psychotropic substance in my body whatsoever.
Sometimes when I am put in an unfamiliar situation, I think I do use Se as a sort of survival mechanism. When there is a lot going on around me in a place that I can't really predict then I'm drawn to sort of be -aware-..

Alternately; have you ever experienced anxiety? Really both of these things are similar though physiologically, just that anxiety as most people know it is more extreme than just a regular heightened awareness.

Reactions: SuperunknownVortex

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alternately; have you ever experienced anxiety? Really both of these things are similar though physiologically, just that anxiety as most people know it is more extreme than just a regular heightened awareness.
Not at all! I love the feeling of it! I look for that feeling when I, say, run for recreation or even go to the cinema. I feel so in sync and even more confident than I already am. If I feel anxious, I inhibit my ability to experience the world as I described as best as I could. And I don't like that.

I feel more anxiety within my 'internal' world than 'external'.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Probably Se. I've gone past some flowers before that were soo red. I remember being on the second floor of a library and it was autumn and through the windows I could see the brown and yellow leaves of a tree and it was wow. A few weeks ago I was taking a walk and it was the time coral trees blossomed and the sight of them was transfixing. But it doesn't happen often, normally I'm not so attached to the external world. Once I was with my ESFP sister and she yelled out 'PINK!' and pointed at some flowers. They just looked pink to me though. Lol. It's like when my sister waved a chocolate cake under my nose and my nose was just following it without thinking and in a few weeks the lemon tree will have so many blossoms and I'll be able to smell them at night when they smell so delicious. But normally I'm apart from the external world and living in my head.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably Se. I've gone past some flowers before that were soo red. I remember being on the second floor of a library and it was autumn and through the windows I could see the brown and yellow leaves of a tree and it was wow. A few weeks ago I was taking a walk and it was the time coral trees blossomed and the sight of them was transfixing. But it doesn't happen often, normally I'm not so attached to the external world. Once I was with my ESFP sister and she yelled out 'PINK!' and pointed at some flowers. They just looked pink to me though. Lol. It's like when my sister waved a chocolate cake under my nose and my nose was just following it without thinking and in a few weeks the lemon tree will have so many blossoms and I'll be able to smell them at night when they smell so delicious. But normally I'm apart from the external world and living in my head.
That's beautiful. That's exactly what I felt and feel like.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tend to think that Se is my least developed function (seriously, I sometimes find walking to be an extreme sport, what with all those stationary trees and telephone poles everywhere), but sometimes I'll notice a flower or a leaf, and really *see* it, or a really gorgeous sunset, or hear a perfect piece of music, and I'm out of my head.

I'm a really anxious person, normally, and I find that panic attacks essentially remove any Se from my cognition. A year or so ago, in a Spanish class on the first day of the quarter, I had to perform an impromptu speech with the teacher in front of the class, and I completely stopped processing any external input. I essentially blacked out, and still can't really remember what happened.

When I'm really relaxed, though, I have the ability to use Se to a small degree.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Probably Se. I've gone past some flowers before that were soo red.
I remember doing this too. I was visiting a friend and at her place there were these small deep red flowers growing near by the window. I happened to see them and they just struck me as so amazingly beautiful that I just interrupted my train of speech and started talking about these flowers - she just gave me this look like "mmm, those are just flowers" lol.

I always dream in color and for some reason I remember the color in my dreams is always richer, deeper, brighter, and more fulfilling somehow that the colors I see when awake - I wonder if this has to do with my Se.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
I do it all so unconsciously so I never think about it. Maybe that would be the difference between primary and secondary Se. I don't have time to smell the red flowers.

·
God of 1000 Suns
2,547 Posts
In my opinion what you've described sounds more like Ne i because you seek to find the relevancy and connections that each observation represents to you and to everything else. (Ne= big picture Se = detail)

This quote for example
Or how the lights accentuated the colors on the trees
...is a big picture observation of how one element affects another, while an Se observation would be more specific and to the point. For example, I might notice that the most of the leaves are glossy and shine in the light rather than focus on how the lights cause the leaves to look glossy. Se only takes in first impressions so that the Se user is aware of everything so that they can react to the outer world quickly and with the most impact. Se doesn't have time to focus on why something is the way it is,Se only recognizes that it is that way and accepts it.

Or this evening I catch a glimpse of the light through the trees, and I felt sad but comforted by the dying leaves on the dogwood. How it shades from a lime green to a tainted red and finally to a light, crumbly brown.
At the baseball game, the dark blue neon light in the distance was so...blue. The 'blueness' was so beautiful I can't even describe it!
These above quotes might represent observations gathered from the outer world using Ne and analyzed by Fi more than just pure Se. I think an Se user would notice that there are dying leaves of varying color among the trees, or that there is an annoyingly bright blue neon light in the background that they can't help but notice because it sticks out.

What you've done here is gone beyond the immediate context of each observation and try to describe how beautiful the light is to you or how sad/comforted you were at the sight of the dying leaves.

I'm aware of how it all affects me. I feel in sync with the world, and even amongst a crowd of thousands I feel like I'm a part of it all.
From my experience, Se gives me a feeling of separation with the outside world rather than a feeling of unity with it. From my Se viewpoint everything is separate and is its own entity and can be acted upon by me without affecting everything else. Every sight, sound, taste, smell, or touch is different and not connected and If I were to try to touch everything in a scene I would notice that some things might feel similar or look similar but they are still different.

Se is used by me to keep track of where everything else in the world is compared to where I am.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my opinion what you've described sounds more like Ne i because you seek to find the relevancy and connections that each observation represents to you and to everything else. (Ne= big picture Se = detail)
I disagree.

First, I sought explanations via this thread specifically after and not before or during the baseball game and after being outside. My feelings were given at the moment, and explanations for those weren't sought further while I felt them. I didn't ask myself nor anyone else why I felt 'sad' when I experience the dying leaves; I simply noticed what I felt and what I experienced at the given moment. And as I reread my own post, I wasn't looking for a 'connection' or an explanation as to why things were they way they were at the time I experienced them.

Second, after all I've read, I don't fully understand how Se could lead not lead someone to be in sync with the world. Perhaps it was my inability to describe feeling 'oneness' with the world around me. It wasn't some esoteric feeling; it was simply being 'there'. I felt thoroughly effective within the world as I recognized it as I wrote. My sensory experience was simply more pronounced, and the experience was, as you described:

an Se observation would be more specific and to the point. For example, I might notice that the most of the leaves are glossy and shine in the light rather than focus on how the lights cause the leaves to look glossy. Se only takes in first impressions so that the Se user is aware of everything so that they can react to the outer world quickly and with the most impact. Se doesn't have time to focus on why something is the way it is,Se only recognizes that it is that way and accepts it.
And I would've accepted it, but since I'm learning about cognitive processes, I wanted to ask whether or not what I experience was, indeed, Se.

Good God, all this philosophical gobbledygook.

·
God of 1000 Suns
2,547 Posts
First, I sought explanations via this thread specifically after and not before or during the baseball game and after being outside.
Hmm, I did give thought to the fact that you were describing everything you saw after the fact and thats why it comes off as Ne to me.

Any who, it was just my opinion. You asked what cognitive process we thought was used and I didn't mean to say outright that your experience wasn't in fact Se but that in my opinion what you wrote seemed like something else. So I'm sorry for all the "philosophical" stuff?

It could totally be Se

Reactions: SuperunknownVortex

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, I did give thought to the fact that you were describing everything you saw after the fact and thats why it comes off as Ne to me.

Any who, it was just my opinion. You asked what cognitive process we thought was used and I didn't mean to say outright that your experience wasn't in fact Se but that in my opinion what you wrote seemed like something else. So I'm sorry for all the "philosophical" stuff?

It could totally be Se
Heh! That's alright. I appreciate your response regardless. I felt frustrated as I tried to explain to you what I felt at the time I was experiencing my...experiences. See, that sort of philosophical gives me a headache!

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
I completely agree with Talon. For sure primary Se users don't really know we are one with the world or actually take time to see the beauty. We just go out, do and accept. His theory about you describing Ne could actually be true so maybe you shouldn't discredit it too quickly. Talon isn't spouting philosophical he is trying to explain how Se dom users are.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I completely agree with Talon. For sure primary Se users don't really know we are one with the world or actually take time to see the beauty. We just go out, do and accept.
If what you say is true and that is the case, then I'm obviously not Se dominant whatsoever.

And, again, when I say 'one with the world' I was referring to simply being 'in sync' or 'there' with the environment around us and not referring to something more esoteric.

His theory about you describing Ne could actually be true so maybe you shouldn't discredit it too quickly. Talon isn't spouting philosophical he is trying to explain how Se dom users are.
It isn't Ne whatsoever, and that is because that how I wasn't approaching my experiences while I experienced them. But I appreciate Talon's reply, as it has helped me understand what possibly may be the Se dominant mindset (given, of course it's true).

Perhaps I was simply paying more attention to where I was at the given time and place. I did it at work this morning. I simply became more acutely aware of the world around me as it appeared in and of itself, and I liked that. I felt so grounded.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I too agree with Talon on my experience with Se. Se just is. I don't associate "thought" with Se at all. Since I read this thread previously "how Se manifests" was in the back of my mind as I was laying down earlier. Anyways, during that moment my thoughts dispersed and I felt farther away from my surroundings. I was just purely using my senses with no thoughts involved. The clock simply ticked, and my focus went to that, and then to my hands under my pillow and how they felt cold against the wrinkled pillowcase. Then more surroundings became noticeable like the warmth of my cat against my leg and her tail softly moving. It was then I was like, yeah that's Se (what I was experiencing). Then the rest of the room came into focus, like the paint on the walls and the placement of each object. I was just "surrounded" and "taking everything in like a sponge".

You have to realize everything I just wrote has "thought" behind it because written word needs such; however, that experience was simply just experiencing my senses and surroundings, no thoughts involved.

Though if anything you could be an ISFP utilizing Se through Fi (since you associated feelings with your surroundings; senses feeding feelings/value system). I do know when I use Se through Ti it is a bit different then what I just described.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have to realize everything I just wrote has "thought" behind it because written word needs such; however, that experience was simply just experiencing my senses and surroundings, no thoughts involved.
I have said this exact same phrase in my own words again and again in this thread.

Though if anything you could be an ISFP utilizing Se through Fi (since you associated feelings with your surroundings; senses feeding feelings/value system). I do know when I use Se through Ti it is a bit different then what I just described.
No, I don't so. Fi is much more complicated than the perceived 'how I feel' function.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have said this exact same phrase in my own words again and again in this thread.

No, I don't so. Fi is much more complicated than the perceived 'how I feel' function.
You mentioned "experiencing and not making connections" in posts #13, #15 and #17; however, you continue to allude to making connections, not to thought/objective data (T) or possibilities (N) but how you felt. Fi is an inner value system. What you hold dear inside yourself and what moves you specifically.

I as a thinker don't notice how the environment makes me feel. On the contrary my emotions are so removed from my self I can turn them on and off as if I had a light switch to do so.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts