Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an experiment I have long been interested in doing, and now I've decided to do it. The experiment is to listen to the sounds in your surroundings, whether it is in nature, in a mall, or a piece of music, and draw the sounds as you are hearing them, in realtime! There is no contemplation involved. The aim is to simply let your hand instinctively create your mind's interpretation of the sounds, without pause.

So yesterday I went to downtown main street and sat on a bench and decided to do a very basic version of this, drawing in line form across the page like a heart rate monitor. I wasn't trying for creativity, but to get the feel for listening in and letting my hand move freely, seeing if any kind of patterns were visible.

Here are the guidelines of the experiment if you wish to join in:

Once a day for the next couple of weeks or more, spend at least 5 minutes drawing the sounds in your environment, or music if you so choose (but try environmental sound, too). The style should be freeform and uninhibited. It may be preferable to create some continuity from where the sounds start to where they end so that you can follow the continuity and remember where certain sounds occured, but it's not a rule...the most important rule is that you are uninhibited! While you are drawing, let your awareness center around the sounds; their textures, pitch variations, etc, and let your hand interpret. If you are able, write the sound origins next to the corresponding strokes so that you can keep track of the patterns.

Each day, observe your progress both in your ability to focus on sound, and your ability to visually interpret them. Do you notice patterns or themes? Share your creations and results in this thread.

Here is mine from yesterday:

I think photobucket reduced the size, so it may be hard to read my writing next to the sounds, so I'll write it here. Line 3: car horn, people talking. Line 4: Loud girls closing car doors and chattering + car horns. Line 5: car with bad engine idling, keys jangling. Line 6: conversation......end. Line 7: car w/music, honk, baby giggle, insect buzz, shoes dragging. Line 8: conversation, car music beats.....

You don't have to emulate my form. I only chose this form to get the feel for it and let creativity open up from there. So have fun!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I"ll participate, but only after my work weekend is over so I have time to actually participate on good grounds.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. I'm planning on doing one in a couple of hours, so I'll post it when I'm done. I haven't decided the sound environment yet.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Here is my drawing of sound:

I don't want to do the other thing.

Reactions: 007phantom

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Wow..this is a great idea of a thread :) I suck at drawing though :( I'll just let others' artworks do the inspiring.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to do the other thing.
Really, why? I thought it was very enjoyable, almost magical in a way. I still haven't had a chance to do one today. After I eat. Maybe I made it sound too much like an assignment, let me rephrase it:

Let the sound waves from your environment flow into your mind, and let the unique energies of each sound course through your nerves and into your hand, and let your hand create the visual interpretation of the auditory world. It's magical! :happy:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It seems too authoritarian/structured to me. Ickles.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems too authoritarian/structured to me. Ickles.
Lol, it's probably because of how I introduced it. I have a habit of doing that. Basically the whole idea is to just listen to the sounds around you and let your hand intuitively draw the sounds as they happen, and see how things progress with multiple tries.

Izzie, you should try it, too! It doesn't have to be an art piece. My first one definitely wasn't. It's just whatever feels right, you know?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts