Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I hope this information helps you guys in helping me understand myself ;)

Regarding previous typings, I've often been typed by the MBTI tests and cognitive function tests as either an INTP or an INTJ.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

No, not really - unless being about to move countries in 3 days counts. I'm currently on vacation, relaxed. I am a male, aged 19, current state of mind that of quite content and intellectual curiosity.

1. Click on this link: _____ Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

My post count isn't high enough, but I'll say that the photo is that of an abstract painting, a reflection of something, putatively a park and some people.

My thoughts on it: I wonder why abstract, impressionistic paintings are so famous and popular among people, since I never really liked them or understood what they were all about. This phenomenon can possibly be explicated in term of psychology and the history of art, with some cognitive function playing a major role in there. I do seem to obtain a general impression over and over again with these impressionistic paintings. Namely, that the artist is trying to convey a view of the world as filtered through human experience, a bold statement that all experience is mediated, never immediate. Other than that, there is a general sense of nostalgia involved in such works, and even a dream-like quality to them. Are these artists trying to teach to see life as a dream, as ultimately lacking inherent existence? Who knows.

Back to the painting itself however, as I try to think whether this particular one is artistic or not artistic, good or bad, I realize that if one is to talk about one painting, one must always introduce and discuss the nature of art itself. Much like in mathematics, where if one is to set a firm axiomatic bases for the natural numbers, one must too introduce the notion of infinity, in the form of inductive numbers.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

My initial thoughts would be somewhere along these lines: "well, looks like we're missing the concert. I wonder whether the car's got tool and supplies to aid in the process of repairing the problem. This could potentially take long. Is there anyone present who has any expertise on the subject? Since this is probably a mechanical failure, I should head to check the engine."

My outward reactions would be a sudden stop of my movements, as I drift away and think. Next, comes a rapid check of all the crew members, seeing their responses/ whether anyone's been hurt. Next, I exit the vehicle and head towards the engine and commence to examine the potential sources of the problem.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

This depends greatly on the concert and the context, etc. I see four main options in my reaction.

Option A: I do want to go to the afterparty, but cannot fully trust the driver, given how most people that go to concerts are rather relaxed and not greatly responsible when it comes to drinking. So, I decide to go to the party, decided that I won't drink, so that given the case that the driver is not in a state fit for driving, I could act as a substitute.

Option B: I don't want to go to the afterparty and the people involved aren't really my friends or close to me. I make up a quick excuse and leave.

Option C: I don't want to go to the afterparty but the people involved are my close friends, and I feel that they really would miss my presence. So I decide to join them in the afterparty, with the caveat outlined in option A.

Option D: I don't want to go to the afterparty and the people involved are really close to me, so much that I know they'll understand my position. I tell them that I don't want to go, and I leave.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

My inward reaction is to examine what my friend is saying and making a "virtual" space in my mind for the possibility that what I believe is false and what's been said true. I then proceed to a quick examination of some of the logical implications of what my friend is saying, to check for any contradictions either within his own position or with generally accepted objective "knowledge".

Outwardly, I could say many things, depending on my relationship to the friend. If he's a really close friend I'll attack and question his position, attempting to probe his thoughts and see the potential for a reconciliation of views or a greater understanding. If he's not that much of a great friend, I'll respond politely in a skeptical manner, such as "that could be true", "I don't know", etc, not pronouncing my true thoughts on the matter, or at least not being openly explicit about them.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I would enter a reflective mood, withdraw and check which beliefs from the set of all my beliefs needs be removed to maintain consistency. However, if the thing seen/experienced is not conclusive, I shall simply regard it as an interesting possibility, without reexaming the whole of my belief-system.

As regards the more concrete, pragmatical habits, if the thing experienced or seen has enough strength and when examined in relation to my beliefs prompts a change in my habits so as to act guided by this new nugget of fact/information, then I would proceed to implement such changes immediately, incorporating them into my "routine".

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

This is a very hard question, for I believe I'm not very aware of them and positing them as values is hard too, for it more or less implies that I hold them to be universally applicable, when in most cases I think that their domains of validity are rather restricted.

Nonetheless, I do hold intellectual honesty as an absolute, at least under most day-to-day circumstances. By intellectual honesty I mean what could be summed up as "pursuing the arguments, wherever they may lead us".

These other values, such as integrity, sincerity, sensibility, compassion etc I find them to be generally good guides in directing our lives but I'm far from regarding them as absolute.

I don't think I ever really came to a conscious process of determining them. Rather, they've developed through time and through my years of accumulated experience, a part of my slow model-building overall mental process.

I see two possible ways that they could change. The first is rational: it could take the form of my reading an argument that convinces me towards another ethical position, and thus shifts my values too. The second is empirical: it could take the form of my experiencing a whole new domain of events, be them personal or global that put to question the basic assumptions, directly or indirectly, on which I base my values. This would lead to a serious reexamination.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

a) My pensive nature and skepticism. People will often tell me things of the form "stop thinking so much" or "relax, you don't need to analyze everything". Also, as a runner-up, my emotional stability. I'm really hard to alter when it comes to feelings, and people often feel "calm" around me.

b) I would change perhaps my difficulties when it comes to understanding and dealing with emotions. I have a hard time being compassionate. This is all because I do think that in order to be happy and mature one must have developed a certain degree of competence, if not expertise, on the main areas of human activity, such as emotions.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I believe I treat them with skepticism. Yet if in situation when such pondering are not feasible, I am forced to rely on the hunches instead. They are triggered everywhere, from a plain conversation, to figuring out which is the shortest route to take or playing a nice game of chess. Given the context, I will treat them differently and seek justification for them.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

a) Reading things of my interest, mostly related to philosophy and mathematics (but also psychology, physics, linguistics, computer science, history, literature), solving puzzles, playing chess, writing, having an good argument with another thinker, learning about a new subject. I believe this activities satisfy in general my thirst for knowledge and intellectual curiosity and my desire for developing deeper and deeper models and systems that attempt to "cut reality at the joints", as Plato would put it.

b) Going to a mall and generally crowded places and not being able to have the silence to think. Having to schedule and plan a trip. I believe these activities drain me the most for they pull me out of my head and force me to interact with something that is neither engaging nor friendly. The thing with scheduling is something I can't quite explain or understand, it simply feels as totally alien to my way of thinking, though I'm good at it and I know it needs to be done, if one is to be efficient.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

Mostly when I'm angry, I repress any manifestation of it and simply withdraw. Many times I think I need to repress my internal thought processes because there're often long-winded and others might not entirely follow them or be plain uninterested. When explaining something, I feel like I have to explain everything about the systems and their inter-related parts and then end up thinking that I've only confused the other. This will then lead me to oversimplify and offer a rather superficial explanation - doing no justice to the complexity of the ideas in play.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im going with INTJ. Numbers 2 and 3 were dead giveaways because they show your coordinating skills and "mastermind" techniques, all vital aspects of INTJs. Also, your interests were those of INTJs also, enjoying arguments and having chess on your list of favored activities. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
At first I was thinking ISTJ, but as I got towards the end I thought you were an INTP. Certainly a Ti dom, I see it all over your writing style in general but especially in question number one. I also see a bit of Ne there where you get off tangent.

I see no Se for you to be an ISTP and I see too much Si here for you to be an INTJ.

Question 1: Si. Focus on nostalgia.
2: Ti, Si
3: Ne
Question 4: Si, Ti and possibly also Te
5: Fi
6:Fi. You recognize that those are your own subjective beliefs, not universal ones.
7a) Ti
7b) inferior Fe
8) Ti
9a) Ti
9b) Ti
10) Ti

Reactions: Faeruss

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@kasthu
@drew8325

How would you reconcile your different readings? You seem to have picked up on very different meanings, out of the same text.

I'd be interested if you addressed this in terms of cognitive functions, and not so much in steoreotypes of the form "XXXX does things likes this y here and that z there, therefore she must be and XXXX".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts