Personality Cafe banner

Should I stay in AP or drop the class. (READ POST FIRST)

• Endure AP to the end

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Drop out AP

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Figure out what’s more important to you: getting the best grades or being really challenged in a class. Sounds like you want the good grades. If you won’t be happy with less than a good grade, drop the class. Some of the classes I’ve really struggled in are the ones where I’ve learned a ton.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Figure out what’s more important to you: getting the best grades or being really challenged in a class. Sounds like you want the good grades. If you won’t be happy with less than a good grade, drop the class. Some of the classes I’ve really struggled in are the ones where I’ve learned a ton.

Yeah, but then shouldn't that be one more reason to stay?

I really want to get over this bad grade thing. I'm so not used to it! But I started doing breathing meditation and it's definitely helped. I just really think I might just be making a big fuss for a small thing.

One thing that combats that is that my teacher for World Cultures last year looked at my grades and my "work ethics" and decided that he'll make AP mandatory for me. What a mess, huh?

Look, if I need to learn at my own pace, then let me. I have good grades because I go by level. Again, I feel like if I started the year with good grades, this probably wouldn't be happening. I can't certainly be lazing off because I work hard in my other classes (especially Algebra and English).

I am also afraid that I will have a negative bias toward my teachers if they keep recommending the class. Also, I will find out on Monday when my drop-out opportunity will end. I just hope I settle with the decision that isn't lazy but isn't too hard on me. Why do I want to impress others so much? Why can't I just look at a teacher's face and boldly say, "I wish not to take this class anymore," and give specific reasons as to why?

I want to involve my parents with the teachers and see if I can work something out, because I had an okay day at school today. The AP class didn't stress me. I know that dropping or staying both really don't break my plan for the future, but I just don't want to feel like an idiot for choosing one side over the other. So hard to be a feeling and a judjing type as well as introverted.

I still want to make my final decision now to leave. Right now, the advice from you wonderful people is far more than the advice from the slightly irritating Yale graduated teachers in my school. If I were to show this thread to my teachers, maybe they can see a little into my head?

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Also, to break the drama, I just want to say that you guys are great advice givers. I know I can be unyielding sometimes, but I still have a lot to learn. I'm fourteen- I don't have to know EVERYTHING now! Maybe that should be my reasoning, hmm. *Trial scenario sets up in mind with cute little people representing both decisions*

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
One thing that combats that is that my teacher for World Cultures last year looked at my grades and my "work ethics" and decided that he'll make AP mandatory for me. What a mess, huh?
I think it's a bit unusual for a teacher to force you to take an AP class. That's supposed to be your decision not your teacher's. I'm suspicious that there could be another factor involved such as an ambitious World Cultures teacher who wants to make sure they have enough students taking their AP class.

Also, to break the drama, I just want to say that you guys are great advice givers. I know I can be unyielding sometimes, but I still have a lot to learn. I'm fourteen- I don't have to know EVERYTHING now! Maybe that should be my reasoning, hmm. *Trial scenario sets up in mind with cute little people representing both decisions*

Indeed, fourteen is still rather young! However, it is old enough to be aware of what works for you and what doesn't, so you're certainly within your rights to switch to a non-AP course if you so choose. Also, as has been suggested, another year or two of maturity might be helpful in dealing with the demands of an AP course if you decide to take one as a junior or senior. The difference between being fourteen versus sixteen can be rather large. As you get older it gets a little easier to take things in stride.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have made my final decision finally, guys! Thanks for all the help.

I wrote to my advisor and he replied saying that either decision is fine with him, and that he will not be picky because of it. He truly has a good heart--I was being to selfish to notice.

I will leave the class. No more debate. I no longer want this silent madness to linger on in my head, so I will leave, and will take regular American Government instead. Thank you all.

One last thing before I conclude, what are your favorite motivational songs/musical pieces? I like having that playing in the morning before I go to school so I can shake myself loose. Now that you have helped me, I think it's time I owe you.

I have never met a group of people online as polite as you. If I were to go somewhere else, I maybe might have had more criticism toward my decision, but hey, no facial contact= easier to make fun of/criticize someone. I hope you have a good day and a wonderful life!

·
Registered
155 Posts

I wrote to my advisor and he replied saying that either decision is fine with him, and that he will not be picky because of it. He truly has a good heart--I was being to selfish to notice.

I will leave the class. No more debate. I no longer want this silent madness to linger on in my head, so I will leave, and will take regular American Government instead. Thank you all.

One last thing before I conclude, what are your favorite motivational songs/musical pieces? I like having that playing in the morning before I go to school so I can shake myself loose. Now that you have helped me, I think it's time I owe you.

I have never met a group of people online as polite as you. If I were to go somewhere else, I maybe might have had more criticism toward my decision, but hey, no facial contact= easier to make fun of/criticize someone. I hope you have a good day and a wonderful life!

Congrats on reaching a decision that you feel good about! Hopefully you'll have a much more peaceful sophomore year now. What genres of music do you like?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I love jazz, electronic, soft rock, and just about any guitar or piano music.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Yeah, but then shouldn't that be one more reason to stay?

I really want to get over this bad grade thing. I'm so not used to it! But I started doing breathing meditation and it's definitely helped. I just really think I might just be making a big fuss for a small thing.

Look, if I need to learn at my own pace, then let me. I have good grades because I go by level. Again, I feel like if I started the year with good grades, this probably wouldn't be happening. I can't certainly be lazing off because I work hard in my other classes (especially Algebra and English).

I am also afraid that I will have a negative bias toward my teachers if they keep recommending the class. Also, I will find out on Monday when my drop-out opportunity will end. I just hope I settle with the decision that isn't lazy but isn't too hard on me. Why do I want to impress others so much? Why can't I just look at a teacher's face and boldly say, "I wish not to take this class anymore," and give specific reasons as to why?

I want to involve my parents with the teachers and see if I can work something out, because I had an okay day at school today. The AP class didn't stress me. I know that dropping or staying both really don't break my plan for the future, but I just don't want to feel like an idiot for choosing one side over the other. So hard to be a feeling and a judjing type as well as introverted.

I still want to make my final decision now to leave. Right now, the advice from you wonderful people is far more than the advice from the slightly irritating Yale graduated teachers in my school. If I were to show this thread to my teachers, maybe they can see a little into my head?

maybe not show thread to teachers but there’s no harm in typing up some of your favorite ideas and bringing along on a sheet of paper to boost your courage and remember what you want to convey! people are bullies, all over the freakin place. so hard to stay true to yourself I have found. you’ll get there, a long life ahead of you to learn these tough lessons. sounds like you’re already well on your way.
one thing I’ve found in the workplace, and probably back in school as well…the most talented and the smartest don’t always get the trophy! often humans play favorites and make you jump through hoops to satisfy their egos!!! it probably won’t change, you’ll see it your whole life.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts

Glad you made a decision on this. Good luck with your classes. ^^

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update: So far, the principal is deciding whether I can leave the class or not. I cannot wait to hear the answer.

Lately, I've coped with the class and I never felt like I did before. I'm handling it way better. Still, I plan to leave because it simply isn't worth what I'm going for. All this extra studying and preparation for a subject that I am not too interested in? I mean, now that I am used to the atmosphere of the class, I guess I will be more wary of decision to take an AP class in the future. That's settled.

My mind, however, even with all this coping, still has found the class to be a barricade rather than a nee opportunity. Sure, taking it will mean that I will know more than the average American at a younger age, but that is not what I value. I value inspiring others, helping people who are close to me, and getting out of the Ni-Ti loops that I continue to throw myself in.

The principal can say yes or no to the decision; I'm fine with either one, but my life makes the most sense in my head without the class constantly knocking on my brain. All other people in that class can succeed without me, and I will cheer them on while succeed at my own pace.

There is this one girl in my study group named Vivica who is taking the class to the max. She's helped me through studying and she literally works hard every single day. I wish to see her succeed in the way she wants, and so far, she wants to be an overachiever. I am glad because of that. Other people's success make me smile, not become envious. Maybe slight envy, but it goes away.

And I'm not going for a career path like she is. She wants to go to a challenging college and work in the medical field. I want to write things and do art projects and make music and share it with the world as my way of inspiration. Not everyone has to follow the same road; then, we'd all be robots!

I thank you all one more time. My stress is relieved, and my worries are gone. Don't you just love a happy mind?
As I participate more in these forums, I will see some things that I can relate to and try to improve without tearing myself apart.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts