Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm an infp that might be an enfp/an enfp that might be an infp, as you can tell from the rather spasmodic title le above ^.
From what I've seen from most of this forum, alot of you guys were once infp,right? so you guys must have experience with this.
My infj sis keeps preaching to me: "Why must you be one". "you can be a cross-breed between the two, afterall everyones different!"
Well, I just want to be sure of my self! I don't want to spend the rest of my life being half of something!! I must be WHOLE. erghhh and I'm tired of telling other ppl who ask me about my type: Oh I'm infp/enfp. Bcuz that confuses everyone...
I need help distinguishing it. I tried using the cognitive functons for help, because that's what decides whether one is an E or an I. (Btw if you don't know about the functions you'd have to look it up at this part). See I use Ne more than Fi, But I use Si more Than Te. Meaning I will make speeches, perform on stage, and debate someone as long as it is helping a cause, but it takes energy having to make worthless small talk, or chatting. I'm not exactly shy, I just like to spend time in my head more. I like to contemplate more too.
I also am capable of being extremeley hyper, to the point where I am pretending to be a dog to my sis, when I'm bored. (such as biting the hem of her pants, only if it is clean though! ik it's embarrasing but this is the internet).

:unsure: Ehhh basically, what is it that helps you guys know that your not Infp, or if you were once one; what made you change? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't have the patience for the day-to-day things a lot of the INFPs I know have. One of my INFP friends had a really quirky and evocative, modern-nostalgic way of dressing, that I wouldn't have had the patience to be as consistent in putting together. I also need time around other people, and am capable of getting more done around other people than the INFPs I've known have been. They are more likely to be amused by me and ground me while I get them to lighten up and work up possibilities.

Edit:
If you lead with Ne I would say you are an ENFP. I think the orders of the tertiary, etc... functions matter less than the two leading. Your 6-type might make you a bit more cautious or reserved than some other ENFPs, but I'm going to say ENFP. I've actually never seen a hyper INFP

There is also the What's My Personality Type? Section There are questionnaires over there :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Okay, there's all kinds of mumbo jumbo that I'm probably being unfairly dismissive of by referring to it as mumbo jumbo that you can study like cognitive doodads and interactional geegaws and whatnot, and someone will be along shortly to spell all that out for you. But here's what I suggest:

For the obvious introvert/extravert questions on the tests, like "Do you prefer going to parties instead of knitting alone in a cellar?" and so forth, try to determine if you are answering based on previous bad experiences, social anxiety, or something similar, or if you genuinely do not want to be around many people who are having a good time. Imagine the best times you've had with other people and the best times you've had alone. Imagine having both kinds of experiences where everything goes exactly right: a party where everyone enjoys talking to you and nobody makes you feel left out, time alone that is enjoyable and fulfilling. Compare the best possible of each, then answer.

Also, spend some time reading forum posts and blogs from ENFPs and INFPs and see which ones you relate to. That was a big indicator for me that I am an ENFP even if I'm a bit of a hermit in practice. It's actually pretty hard to separate your underlying personal traits from your current personal situation, and I suspect that's what leads to most of the mistyping that occurs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, there's all kinds of mumbo jumbo that I'm probably being unfairly dismissive of by referring to it as mumbo jumbo that you can study like cognitive doodads and interactional geegaws and whatnot, and someone will be along shortly to spell all that out for you. But here's what I suggest:

For the obvious introvert/extravert questions on the tests, like "Do you prefer going to parties instead of knitting alone in a cellar?" and so forth, try to determine if you are answering based on previous bad experiences, social anxiety, or something similar, or if you genuinely do not want to be around many people who are having a good time. Imagine the best times you've had with other people and the best times you've had alone. Imagine having both kinds of experiences where everything goes exactly right: a party where everyone enjoys talking to you and nobody makes you feel left out, time alone that is enjoyable and fulfilling. Compare the best possible of each, then answer.

Also, spend some time reading forum posts and blogs from ENFPs and INFPs and see which ones you relate to. That was a big indicator for me that I am an ENFP even if I'm a bit of a hermit in practice. It's actually pretty hard to separate your underlying personal traits from your current personal situation, and I suspect that's what leads to most of the mistyping that occurs.
Well, Parties are fun of course, but I generally have a hard time socializing such as mingling in the halls at school. It could be just an insecurity most people my age go through, but I can try speaking if I'd like, I'm just not geniunley interested. Basically it takes some energy or lots of drive. The thing is I'm more outgoing than most Infps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess what I'm really asking is: what do you percieve me as so far? Am I more of an Enfp and Infp. Also please point out certain traits that seem more enfp, or traits that seem more infp. Sorry, i just given up already and i really don't know what my type is :-(

·
Registered
541 Posts
I guess what I'm really asking is: what do you percieve me as so far? Am I more of an Enfp and Infp. Also please point out certain traits that seem more enfp, or traits that seem more infp. Sorry, i just given up already and i really don't know what my type is :-(
I don't think anyone can tell you that just from your forums posting. But let's suppose someone could, and they were able to convince you that you are actually an ENFP and not an INFP after all. What would you do differently? What would you discover about yourself that you didn't know before, besides which label to use? What would change about your life?

If you can answer any of those questions then you can probably get a better idea of what your MBTI is than anyone else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think anyone can tell you that just from your forums posting. But let's suppose someone could, and they were able to convince you that you are actually an ENFP and not an INFP after all. What would you do differently? What would you discover about yourself that you didn't know before, besides which label to use? What would change about your life?

If you can answer any of those questions then you can probably get a better idea of what your MBTI is than anyone else.
If Someone was able to convince me that I was an enfp, I'd probably be more ambitious or outgoing just bcuz they said i was. I guess because i feel 50/50 in both areas, it's just up to me whether i want to be an enfp or infp. Is that what u were implying?
You know what that doesn't matter. Basically, thankyou for leading me up to this conclusion. I feel somewhat silly, but I have a hunch of which i might be. I guess I'll take your advice and continue to look at more threads. Also when you said i'd get a better understanding of my MBTI, do you mean if I see myself capable as an ENFP, than perhaps I am?

·
Registered
541 Posts
If Someone was able to convince me that I was an enfp, I'd probably be more ambitious or outgoing just bcuz they said i was. I guess because i feel 50/50 in both areas, it's just up to me whether i want to be an enfp or infp. Is that what u were implying?
You know what that doesn't matter. Basically, thankyou for leading me up to this conclusion. I feel somewhat silly, but I have a hunch of which i might be. I guess I'll take your advice and continue to look at more threads. Also when you said i'd get a better understanding of my MBTI, do you mean if I see myself capable as an ENFP, than perhaps I am?
You shouldn't feel silly (unless you feel like being silly--this is, after all, then ENFP forum!). You got it right in the second part. I don't think you really get to pick your type, but if you step into a pair of ENFP shoes and they're more comfortable than your INFP shoes, then you should wear them! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You shouldn't feel silly (unless you feel like being silly--this is, after all, then ENFP forum!). You got it right in the second part. I don't think you really get to pick your type, but if you step into a pair of ENFP shoes and they're more comfortable than your INFP shoes, then you should wear them! :)
LOL. Yeah enfps are perky people. From what I've read from this one I think I'm pretty much an ENFP. Haha guess i was just hesitant all along. I guess It'd be better to If I was an E, so I don't neglect all my E friends.
Thanks All for the advice! I'm just a little hesitant to change my status on here to enfp bcuz all my past posts wouldn't make much sense.
I also still want to stalk the infp forums xD. Thx again.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Oh my goodness, you're me. Exactly. I actually have the same functional order. The reason I thought I was INFP is because I can be very reclusive and I use too much Si. I don't like parties very much because I have trouble socializing. And I definitely get weird and hyper. My guess is that you and I are among the more introverted ENFPs...

·
Registered
616 Posts
@Monoquel:
-----The "party" question can be a little misleading. If it's a concrete conversation, I'm already ready to go home. If it's an abstract conversation, I have a much higher staying power. The "party" question I found helpful was phrased like this: "Which are you more likely to do: 1. Leave a party early with decreasing energy, or 2. Stay late at a party with increasing energy." The other advice above is good, too.
-----In speaking with my ENFP friend, I think how we act when we're teenagers as compared with later in life is indicative of personality type--it gives a spectrum of behavior that can be helpful. It seems like INFPs make more effort to socialize as they get older. It seems like ENFPs make less effort to socialize as they get older (please correct me if I'm wrong).
@KateMarie999:
-----So this is where you went! I'm happy to see you're still on PerC.

Reactions: Finaille

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Monoquel - Haha! ^^ Just because it's hard for you to be in a crowd or in a party with a bunch of people you don't know and you happen to be a bit on the shy side does not mean you're aren't an ENFP. It's best to figure out which you lead with: Fi or Ne? It's pretty hard to answer this question. As for me, my Fi and Ne are practically equal. O_O So it was very hard to discern what I was. Lots of personality tests and some cognitive functions tests like to type me as INFP because despite the fact that I like social interaction and love hanging with my friends, I'm also laid back and enjoy time alone. In fact, I need time alone.

However, even the most extroverted of the Extroverts needs time alone sometimes. ENFPs are some of the most "introverted" Extroverts. So we can be loud but then we can also be quiet.

It's not very helpful to ask, "Where do you get your energy? Social interaction or time alone?" No, that doesn't work.

As an Extrovert, no matter how shy I am or quiet, I am always reaching outwards. I look out at the world and attempt to embrace it, you could say. I am always looking outwards first. And then I will attempt to see and match it up with myself inwardly. Introverts do this in the opposite order, I think. They look inwardly and then they lift their head up to see outwards.

Eh, that might not be the best explanation.

To me your posts come across as Extroverted, but don't take my word for it. ^^

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
From what I've seen from most of this forum, alot of you guys were once infp,right?
First of all- you cannot switch types.. if you look at the development of types people develop their 1st function early, 2nd years later and so on.. do you really think it's that easy to switch over several years worth of function development? i don't think so.

secondly- don't worry yourself too much about this.. Whether you are ENFP or INFP emotional intelligence is MUCH more important a factor in determining how you conduct yourself in everyday life- INFPs can have mad social skills and ENFPs are certainly known to be hermits from time to time.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I actually find that determining the order of functions is painfully difficult a lot of times, and that they're therefore a pretty bad way to tell I from E. You might find more luck cross-referencing type descriptions from many different sources for something like this. Or not.... I couldn't tell you... the ENFPs probably have some good answers. Also, if you didn't know it already, ENFPs are typically called the most introverted of the extroverts... hence the common confusion and mistypings.

Reactions: My Sweet Stalin

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I find the energy question misleading. I get energy from extroverted and introverted sources equally. It all depends on the specific activity. Big group activities drain me but small group activities energize me. Being alone for too long makes me desperate for company but I need time alone!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts