Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an interesting article I stumbled upon.

Full articleA Little Bit of Personality: Type Heroes: ESTP - The Spartan

I found the below part to be spot-on. Are you a bitter ESTP? Have you at some point felt that the world didn't accept as you were and either have chosen to comply (and lose your awesomeness in the process) ... or have you taken the other extreme, which was to simply become even more defiant and bitter all the while refusing to take any responsibility for the impact of your actions?

I did. And something tells me that this might truly be something that many ESTPs go through.

But from a young age the combination of loving to experience life, being and planning in the moment and the desire to keep the parts of themselves they love, makes the ESTP easy to call dumb and shallow. Young ESTP's are often not fond of sitting for long periods of time, abstract concepts or being asked to change... all of which are huge factors in the Western school system as well as most places of religion. The ESTP isn't shallow, nor are they stupid; instead they care deeply about people and groups who they feel can see the best parts of them and do not want those parts to change. As the ESTP goes through life, they have three options.

The first option, which in our society is taken more often by female ESTP's, is to change and become a part of the sea of mundanity they see around them. ESTP's who choose this path can be quite good at being unassuming, normal, non-threatening and just charming enough to make friends... but the ESTP who rejects their true self soon discovers the excitement, adventure and self-confidence they could have had is slipping away from them, leaving them feeling unsatisfied and lonely as no one sees them for who only they know they truly are.

The second option, which in our culture is taken more often by male ESTP's, is for the ESTP to resent those asking them to change and therefore insist that *every* part of them is good, even the parts they themselves don't like. A resentful ESTP ends up bitter against people (who as EP's they naturally love observing and interacting with) and in a constant struggle to prove their self worth, even defending their mistakes as "just the way life works" or "just the way they are." This ESTP will end up hating themselves and feeling like everything they saw and loved in themselves maybe wasn't so great after all.

The ESTP's final option is to reject others' poor images of them, embrace fully how much they love themselves and try to become the best version of all their favorite parts. An ESTP who has taken this final path becomes even *more* themselves because the ESTP has been honed into just what they wanted to be all along. For lack of better words... a creature of pure awesome! This is the ESTP Spartan.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
You use your Ti to struggle with self worth derived from those around you?

Why not just have Fi? Then what others feel about you is but background to what you feel about yourself, although that backfires if pretty much everyone likes you but you don't like yourself.

I'm confused. Do you use your Ti for other stuff too? I hope so.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I think he means Introverted Feeling, but, I'm still new to this, really don't know myself, what he's talking about.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I don't choose these things, why not have J(for Judging)? That was meant for the @default settings guy.

You use your Ti to struggle with self worth derived from those around you?

Why not just have Fi? Then what others feel about you is but background to what you feel about yourself, although that backfires if pretty much everyone likes you but you don't like yourself.

I'm confused. Do you use your Ti for other stuff too? I hope so.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
The first post from non-ESTP assumes that ESTP's are doing it wrong. Essentially what the article is about. Anyone else see something funny about that?

Thanks for sharing @pericles

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
The first post from non-ESTP assumes that ESTP's are doing it wrong. Essentially what the article is about. Anyone else see something funny about that?

Thanks for sharing @pericles
"It"?
"Wrong"?

Well, you made your comment successfully general and meaningless. "Wrong" at what? And what is the "it"?

More concrete please, less abstract. What are you trying to talk about, exactly? "Life"? If so, again too general. What in life? Making money? Friends? Developing character? What exactly?

Or are you suggesting I think you are wrong at everything? That would be a fairly hilarious thought. Why would I make ESTPs special out of all the types to think they were wrong at everything? What makes you so special? Why should I do that for you?

And how do you know if I am or if I'm not an ESTP, for that matter?

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
"It"?
"Wrong"?

Well, you made your comment successfully general and meaningless. "Wrong" at what? And what is the "it"?

More concrete please, less abstract. What are you trying to talk about, exactly? "Life"? If so, again too general. What in life. Making money? Friends? Developing character? What exactly?
I was talking about you, not to you. If you can't pick up on my subtext, you're on the wrong board.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I was talking about you, not to you. If you can't pick up on my subtext, you're on the wrong board.
Your subtext doesn't matter to most people. Let alone one random person's subtext when someone like me moves through multiple users views on a message board.

So how far is the drop off a high horse?

Why the assumption you are special? I don't get it. Enlighten me, realists.

You kind of remind me of me when I was a bit younger. I'm a bit worried that I can actually relate.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My thoughts exactly. I guess he's trying to prove something to himself. Hence the "why not have Fi" which is obvious B.S.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I guess he's trying to prove something to himself. Hence the "why not have Fi" which is obvious B.S.
The amusing part is that he seems to want an explanation that he isn't owed.

Reactions: Brian1

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks for sharing! It's one of the few articles I've read about ESTP descriptions that don't seem entirely biased against Sensors in general.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The first option. That's me right now, and I really hope that once I move out of this boring, limiting town and start a new life as an adult, I can steer towards the third option and be what I'm meant to be.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I definitely do pick parts about me that I love to develop and somewhat 'accept' a lot of shortcomings I have. Sort of 'trade off', believing that I can't have the best of both worlds and shouldn't be penalised for it.

I don't mind so much if people just want to change my behaviour in a certain way, like for work or because it directly inconveniences them. When people try to change my pattern of thinking, I get very heated and defensive.

The funny thing is, (I apologise for the counter-intuitive incommunicable nature of what I'm trying to say here, so I've separated the lines out to make it easier):

When I've behaved in a way I favour
with respect to the aforementioned traits which ESTPs like about themselves,
someone comes along and says:
"I think you were wrong and you shouldn't do that because X"
I like to defend my point and stick to how I was, if I really want to be that way.
(This isn't entirely belligerent, because I do listen to reasonable people with strong viewpoints).
This is a trait which I favour, which forms a circular concept
Defending my chosen favoured traits, is something that I favour.
Being a strong-minded man that can make up his own mind about how he wants to be.

I'd rather not be a jerk of course, but sometimes that can just happen.
People don't have to like me, but I'd much rather they did.

I think this self-reinforcing egotism of choosing the right traits for oneself is a clear and well developed manifestation of Ti, and the basis on which the article is written.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The ESTP's final option is to reject others' poor images of them, embrace fully how much they love themselves and try to become the best version of all their favorite parts. An ESTP who has taken this final path becomes even *more* themselves because the ESTP has been honed into just what they wanted to be all along. For lack of better words... a creature of pure awesome! This is the ESTP Spartan.

I am INTP. I agree with this. I was wondering about joining the norm and being myself. I think we have to accept the norm which is uncompromisable in most places (timeliness, getting things done instead of letting them build up, etc.) and be the best parts of ourselves (in my case, creative, curious, always wanting new things).

Good article

1 - 18 of 18 Posts