Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to challenge the proponents of people who base typing themselves and other people on the cognitive functions.

I would say that taking the MBTI is often a little bit more accurate than figuring out your cognitive functions. Maybe close to 90% to your actual type.

One example would be most Fi-dom(as they have typed themselves based on the cognitive functions) for example, testing out as INTJs on the official MBTI. people who think they have Fi-dom are sensitive to their environments and all that so they usually would try to secure themselves in their environments, hence testing out as "TJ" or even "J". But the truth is that their Fi is tertiary, not primary. The dominant function would be something they would take for granted, in a way that they wouldn't even notice they're using it, which is Introverted Intuition, supported by Extraverted Thinking. Their "push" for the use of their Fi would seem very "unnatural" or "forced" (These are my feelings/values/etc.! Deal with IT!) in contrast as it would appear if it's in the dominant function.

So most people who think they are Fi-dom who test out as INTJs are really INTJs because the MBTI does indeed test what the true order of the cognitive functions in your psyche. The same goes for the other personality types. If you test out as a certain personality type frequently on the tests (and this holds validity for the tests), then that's probably your personality type reflecting your true order of the cognitive functions. Of course there could be some confusion about a single letter, but I'm arguing is that studying the cognitive functions and trying to pin down your conscious/forced(?) dominant function would lead you to wrong typing.

But what I'm also saying is that, it doesn't work on the test only per se, you could be doing the same thing by studying the letters individually, and trying to get to your personality type (which would, more often than not, correlate with your test result, I assume.)....what I'm just saying is that starting off by studying the cognitive functions and trying to know your "dominant function" would lead you to erroneous self-typing.

So a "consciously" Si-dom person could have been INFP for example, which has Introverted Feeling as the dom function and Si as its tertiary. It's all interesting.

Most often than not, what YOU think your dominant function could actually be your tertiary function....because your dominant function easily supported by the secondary function are the functions we take for granted for the ease that we use them with.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
More information is - not even "by definition," rather "tautologically" - more informative than less information.

MyersBriggs types provide different information from Cognitive Functions, and I think that MyersBriggs and functions (and Enneagrams, DISC...) are more informative than one or another.

My MyersBriggs type is INTP, my Cognitive Functions are Ne-Fi-Ti-Si, my Enneagram is 5w4, my DISC types are Steady and Conscientious, my D&D alignment is Chaotic Neutral (75% Chaotic, 60% Good)...

Not all of that information is scientific, but all of it is useful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts