Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad just asked me what I would like for Christmas, (perhaps a little late but that's besides the point) and I replied On The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin :proud:. That's when he said "I thought you would want money." I couldn't help but laugh at that and wonder what other INTJ's would like for Christmas, and if that's not your fancy, what is on your wish list?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I constantly dodge 'what do you want for... ' questions around the holidays or my birthday. I don't think of other people to give gifts, when I do I'm bad at it and always procrastinate, and I despise sending mail. So.. when I'm pressured into giving an answer, I reply with inexpensive, practical answers... like hand towels for the kitchen... or a package of paper towels and some Windex. My ISFJ SO and his mother (I also believe ISFJ) both work at the same place I do.. she trapped me in the hallway today and insisted I give her xmas ideas since my SO refused to give her any for similar reasons to myself. I told her some wine glasses... or tupperware...something we'd actually use, but also something inexpensive, easy to find, etc.. so neither of us feel bad for receiving a gift, and she still can get us something for xmas.

Edit: I realize now that kitchen stuff is all I've brought up to ask her for. lol. It's really the only stuff we're properly lacking though.. and it would be awkward to ask her for toilet paper or condoms.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I asked for some books, including a Japanese grammar book I hope will be helpful in my course. My sister asked for wellies and a mac, then money from everyone else.
Up until the last couple of years, I've always wanted tons of books, but now that I don't have as much time to read them, I've not got many this year (unless my friends have bought me any). It's funny, but I never ask for money off people.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Most of the stuff I want is too expensive to request. Such as: A new drum kit, tattoos, hiking equipment, a new stethoscope, and...well that's all I can think of actually.

My family is pretty hardcore about Christmas and we're still required to make lists, even as adults. Mine was composed entirely of books and a few places I'd actually use gift cards.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't ask for things for my birthday or Christmas and when my family asks me what I want I stiff arm them until the topic changes or they get side tracked by something else. Then eventually my birthday or Christmas will pass and crisis is averted. If there's something that I want, I have the money to buy it for myself and I certainly don't need to wait for 1 of 2 days out of the year to get it.

I am awful at receiving gifts and my reactions (or lack there of) to the gifts I've received in the past usually left the gift giver upset with me. I also don't give gifts... I despise Christmas shopping and dealing with the holiday crowds.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Cash, Amazon.com giftcards (I have quite extensive wish lists). My grandmother often wants to get me something practical that I can use, so I dropped off a hint or two regarding a new saucepan, frying pan or other kitchen equipment.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My family knows that I don't like giving or receiving gifts. I hate to feel obligated to give someone a gift because she/he gave me one -.- That said if someone corners me and asks I will just take the money. Will spend it on a thing that I actually want/need and not something stupid (like the usual gifts I receive)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will tell people not to buy me anything but that usually does not work so I ask for gift cards, If I want something cheap enough that I would have felt comfortable asking for it I usually have already bought it for myself. I have a tattoo appointment in January, so when asked this year I said a giftcheck to that tattoo shop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Something practical. This year it´s three new basic blouses. Two black ones and one grey one. Exciting isn´t it?
I can buy books etc. myself.
I also hate the obligations that come with getting gifts. Or surprises. I hate surprises. Because the real surprise is only what an grotesque facial expression one can make when forcing onesself to look delighted. I like getting gifts for people, but only when I spontanously find something someone particular would like. And that doesn´t happen when stores change all their products to overpriced christmas trash.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I stopped doing these... holiday things once I moved out of my parents house.

Reactions: Eliyahu

·
Registered
869 Posts
the intj i know has a family that gives shockingly bad and cheap presents, that basically say i dont give a shit about you. so, i think, he likes my inexpensive but really well thought out pressies

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
the intj i know has a family that gives shockingly bad and cheap presents, that basically say i dont give a shit about you. so, i think, he likes my inexpensive but really well thought out pressies
My family gets shockingly bad and expensive presents, which says "we care about you though we don't know you at all and are willing to fork out money on what we want you to like, getting hurt when you end up disliking it as well as later complaining about money constraints".

Best present to get an INTJ:
- Something cheap or nothing.
- Something that will be personal to them or their interests.
- If they like you well enough, they'll tell you exactly what they want (though they'd still love to be surprised by you one-upping their request).

·
Registered
159 Posts
My family is pretty hardcore about Christmas and we're still required to make lists, even as adults.
My family is all adults and we submit our Christmas lists to one another in early December.

Since I can buy myself whatever I want throughout the year, I just put a few books on my list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This year is going to be my last christmas since I'll be moving out, but I don't know if I'll be forced to have them again when I get a girlfriend. I also hope my decision will be met with understanding and not ridicule but it doesn't really matter since I don't care what people think of me.

The only thing I need is what I need right now: a new mouse since my old one is 6 years old and failing (MX 518) and an 8GB usb flash drive to use as another encrypted backup for my own programmed systems, libraries, and stuff for personal data research. And I'll be getting these things myself, thanks very much!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm an INTJ in a family with all ESFJs and one ENFP (I get along with her the most). I'm also the only atheist and they give me a hard time by telling me that there is no point to getting me anything for Christmas. I tell them to not get me anything for Christmas, but they should splurge on me for the celebration of the Winter Solstice. :p I only ask for cash, or visa (or other major credit card company) gift cards. That way there is no awkwardness if I get something I do not like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just books really, it kinda makes me laugh because it's very atypical of some my age (14) and some of my family also finds it very strange

·
Registered
771 Posts
So my dad just asked me what I would like for Christmas, (perhaps a little late but that's besides the point) and I replied On The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin :proud:. That's when he said "I thought you would want money." I couldn't help but laugh at that and wonder what other INTJ's would like for Christmas, and if that's not your fancy, what is on your wish list?
Mistake......!. You have to ask something that makes sense to them... In my case i was asked of what i wanted as a gift and I replied "Dante Alligieri's Divina Commedia" and i received NOTHING.... So, next time say something like "an iPad" (where you could read "The origin of species", or in my case the "commedia" for free on pdf)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts