Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I were were having a conversation earlier that provoked a half ass theory. I'm not sure if there are similar threads regarding this, or perhaps scientific research involving the cognitive functions that could give weight to the topic either way, but none the less, I thought I would mention it, in hopes of some feedback, and opinions.

INTJ's aren't exactly known for being artsy. This always bothered me in a way, after "diagnosing" myself as an INTJ, because I am very creative musically, and quite artistic. I play several musical instruments, as well as draw, paint, and write. Anything practically that falls into the category of an art form, I have dabbled with. Anyways, we all know an INTJ's ability to appreciate art, not so much on creating it. They can tell you what is considered perfection in a painting, or a piece of music. And they can also damn sure tell you what is wrong with it.

However, after having conversed with other fellow INTJ's, I have come to the conclusion that there are several other INTJ's out there who are also quite artistically inclined. That is what prompted me to start this thread.

Fact: Our emotions are introverted. We control them, do not like to display them outwardly, and are uncomfortable being around displays of outward affection or emotion.

Observation: A lot of INTJ's have a pronounced artistic streak to their personality.

Question: Could it be that because we do bury our emotions so deeply, and control them so much, that we subconsciously seek out a form of outward expression to release those emotions?

Art is an expression of emotion in my mind. I have cried over music, over art, over a good book, and a beautiful photo. It seems to me a way for the ever so introverted and emotionally retarded INTJ to positively express emotional "build up", via an outward form of art. (Example: Playing, or emoting in a sense, your feelings into the piece of music you just wrote on the guitar or piano.)

So could this be a subconscious desire? A subconscious need to release our highly controlled emotions?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm not as well versed in the MBTI and cognitive functions as others on this forum so I won't attempt to validate your theory in that way. I do concur with your observations.

Expressing deeper emotions like love require an extreme release of self control therefore the recipient must be trustworthy. Alternatively, the safer path is to express deep emotion through art. In my case, it is through writing -- personal essays and fiction. I also find myself getting absorbed by music, choral works in particular.

The emotion are there and they will find an outlet. I suspect INTJs seek external expressions in an attempt to control the when and how they are released.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have had similar thoughts to this. I am very creative when I'm writing, doing graphics designs, or taking pictures. I always thought that it was pure awesomeness radiating at my core.

Reactions: PurpleTree

·
Registered
23 Posts
The aforementioned friend, that's me!

I am a guitarist, drummer, and graphic artist. People rarely see or hear my work, but I generally get good feedback when they do, so I assume I have at least some talent. So anyway, I usually get a craving to play music and I'll play for the entire day. Like Saturday for instance.. I was just jamming with my guitar all day, and a song just kinda came out. But then the next few days I hated even looking at it and didn't play at all. That's how it usually works, except for when I force myself to get practice in. I think that reinforces Infrared's theory about emoting all you need to, then building back up again.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am also nowhere near an expert on MBTI and cognitive functions and I am even still in a debate with myself about my typing but I will just add my take on this, in case it may be of some use. I am definitely not a very artsy/creative person, having miserably failed at all art subjects at school. However I will often cry at music, whether it is the lyrics or the melody some songs just evoke a strong emotional reaction. I also often cry when watching films or reading a novel and this is one of the main reasons why I am doubting INTJ. I always thought that I had an emotional overexcitability as, although I don't feel emotional very often, when I do they can be extremely intense. Perhaps this is similar to what you guys are experiencing when you express yourselves through your music?

Sorry if that's not very coherent, hope it helped just a little!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
A well-developed INTJ might logically develop a Te or Fe outlet... and based on my own observations the result is stupendous.

I think that outlet heavily includes but is in no way limited to creative mediums such as music or art. I don't think I've quite find that cathartic valve so to speak, so as of yet I can really only navigate to Fi using a potent tandem of Te-Ti. I'm not greatly knowledgeable in the functions either, so I hope my jargon is accurate.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am also nowhere near an expert on MBTI and cognitive functions and I am even still in a debate with myself about my typing but I will just add my take on this, in case it may be of some use. I am definitely not a very artsy/creative person, having miserably failed at all art subjects at school. However I will often cry at music, whether it is the lyrics or the melody some songs just evoke a strong emotional reaction. I also often cry when watching films or reading a novel and this is one of the main reasons why I am doubting INTJ. I always thought that I had an emotional overexcitability as, although I don't feel emotional very often, when I do they can be extremely intense. Perhaps this is similar to what you guys are experiencing when you express yourselves through your music?

Sorry if that's not very coherent, hope it helped just a little!
Yes. Even if you aren't artistic in the sense, becoming emotional over something that is, be whatever the source, is what I'm getting at. One thing I have come to learn of the INTJ type, is that yes, believe it or not, we do feel, we can feel very deeply. It's just that we choose not to share it, and we control it whenever there are eyes around.

Also, we do tend to find beauty in things that others, or other MBTI types, do not understand. Other types would laugh at the fact that an INTJ can find beauty in something like Star Wars, and there are several scenes, that could make us cry. That's what I mean by other types not understanding, or finding beauty in something we may. So yes, that's what I'm asking, do INTJ's seem to be able to express those deep emotions, in the sense of something similar to that? Art or music, or what have you? Is it a way for us to physically release emotions that we can relate to, with what we hinder within ourselves? And is it of a subconscious motive to release these emotions, what we consciously hinder?

Reactions: Sonne

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've always been rather artistically inclined, preferring the visual arts. I used to draw/paint but now prefer photography instead.

I'm not so sure I subconsciously seek to release my emotions with art, rather than an outlet for my creativity and innate appreciation of beauty, though I would not discount the idea completely. Having said that, I don't really cry over music, art etc.

I see you have put your enneagram type as 5w6. I suggest that you take a look at the 5w4 description and see if that doesn't fit you better.

Are you into infrared photography by any chance?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always been rather artistically inclined, preferring the visual arts. I used to draw/paint but now prefer photography instead.

I'm not so sure I subconsciously seek to release my emotions with art, rather than an outlet for my creativity and innate appreciation of beauty, though I would not discount the idea completely. Having said that, I don't really cry over music, art etc.

I see you have put your enneagram type as 5w6. I suggest that you take a look at the 5w4 description and see if that doesn't fit you better.

Are you into infrared photography by any chance?
I will definitely look into the 5w4 type, as you mentioned. It leaves me curious as to why you think that would be a better fit for me, so now I have to look. I've taken them a few times, and always tested 5w6, but I'll humor us both by at least reading 5w4. :happy:

And no, I do not even know what infrared photography is, sorry :unsure:. It's just a username that I picked, lol.

·
Registered
383 Posts
While i too have a creative/artist streak i always attributed it to my Ni being its creative self, although i do know definitely that emotions have on occasion caused me to do something creative.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I'm creative and so on it's more Ni than Fi for me, like mentioned in the above post. This includes creating and appreciating art, crafts and similar activities, reading, listening to music, etc.

I don't really have pent up emotions. When I'm really upset I think about it/sleep over it/discuss it with someone close/write it down (helps to organize my thoughts). When I've ordered everything, and calmed down (if applicable), I deal with it and that's it. It wasn't always like that, but it's a process I have developed for myself and it works.

Reactions: midnightblonde

·
Registered
131 Posts
This:

When I'm creative and so on it's more Ni than Fi for me...
Way more Ni than Fi for me.

I had overlooked this in my previous post, but Fi has actually (on a once-in-a-blue-moon basis) driven me to write poems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Question: Could it be that because we do bury our emotions so deeply, and control them so much, that we subconsciously seek out a form of outward expression to release those emotions?

Art is an expression of emotion in my mind. I have cried over music, over art, over a good book, and a beautiful photo. It seems to me a way for the ever so introverted and emotionally retarded INTJ to positively express emotional "build up", via an outward form of art. (Example: Playing, or emoting in a sense, your feelings into the piece of music you just wrote on the guitar or piano.)

So could this be a subconscious desire? A subconscious need to release our highly controlled emotions?[/QUOTE]

This is so true of me ... I played the flute when I was a child and I took up playing the violin a few years ago, not because I particularly wanted to play an instrument, but I remember saying to someone that I needed a way of letting out all the stuff that was in me and I had this overwhelming feeling that returning to music was the only way - a bit like letting emotion flood out through my fingers on the strings...

It feels really good to be able to type that - I definitely am a good example of what you describe.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I design stuff at work, so I don't use it for emotional expression that much. I write poetry. I'd also like to get into photography someday.

·
Registered
312 Posts
thats interesting... It would certainly make sense. I have a guitar, write, paint, draw, and my favorite... my camera. I rarely do anything with any of the pictures, but I love taking them! Going on a long hike that lasts alllll day long, and all alone. Through cities, small towns, into the forest and off the beaten paths. just time away from the other dastardly humans to reflect. And then, when I see something beautiful that sparks emotion in me, I do my best to take a picture of it in a way that I can keep that emotion that I felt for it.

it is generally things other people wouldn't care to take pictures of either, which plays back to what someone in the above mentioned about INTJs seeing beauty in places other MBTI types dont.

Reactions: The Unseen

·
Registered
162 Posts
I find this thread highly fascinating because I always come up with an INTJ result but also consider myself quite artistically minded. The whole scientific bend just doesn't fit. What I do like about art and writing though is looking at structure and form so I guess this fits.

As for art being a channel for deeply held emotions - I think you might be onto something. I don't know about other INTJs but I live in a world of concepts and abstracts. It's very hard for me to even identify what emotions, if any, I am having let alone express them in words. For that reason I choose art as my form of expression. Case in point: my art project called Draw that Beast (see link in sig block), which asks people to explore their depression through imagery.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,380 Posts
I play guitar and write songs, poems, short stories and stuff. The best time for me to come up with ideas is when I am reaching cartharsis or trying to find answers to problems. I work on them and develop them better when I am actually in a better frame of mind to look at the artistic bent and to refine the ideas.

My mother is a multi media artist and I have been surrounded with artists all my life. A lot of them talk about getting busy and getting their self expression out of them as if it were a demon. I don't really think it is just INTJs that would typify this kind of idea.

Further more from what I can see on this forum alone is that there is a hell of a lot of INTJ writers and seemingly very few mathmeticians and scientists. Which kind of makes me feel better about being a total maths retard.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
As the others have said, I'm another very artistically inclined INTJ. I play guitar, draw, paint, mess around with musical mashups and fan videos, take photos, and write very frequently (and especially if I'm in an extremely good or extremely bad mood). So, although I hadn't really thought of it as such before, I guess it is a form of emotional release for me.

Also, most of the times I've cried (I cry about once every 3.5 years, according to my calculations...) they have been because of art-related things... the cinematography in a scene of AI (granted, I was sick and on some serious meds when this happened:crazy:) and a home demo version of 'Beautiful Boy' by John Lennon that someone set to a montage of photos of him and his son that I stumbled upon on Youtube.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts