Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I became interested in MBTI types a while back, but recently got back into it again. I figured it would be worth signing up here to learn more.

I've taken several tests online, (perhaps when I'm older I'll pay for the official test) and I've consistently scored as an INTJ. I'm definitely introverted, reserved, a planner, a deep thinker (well I'd like to think so... :dry:) and somewhat bad with personal relationships... But I have hardly any interest in Science , if any at all. I'm also not particularly 'to-the-point' or impatient which kind of seems to be a trait on INTJs. As you can tell from this long-winded post :bored:.

My main focus in life is guitar, not music, but guitar. I dedicate most of my free-time, as well as the time I should be working to that. I hate reading, I find it difficult to focus and don't take much of it in (this could be related to having M.E. but that could make this even more long winded and I'm already getting sick of talking about myself.) Incidentally I'm very poor at the theoretical side of music, I believe it's immensely useful and I wish I had the discipline believe me. But I've never really mastered drawing the little black dots... Maybe one day. :tongue:

Let's see if I can rap this up, I also have a more extroverted side. But my social life is pretty dead at the moment (to do with the M.E., long story.) So the extroverted side has kind of died with it. I love to perform, in find it much easier in front of larger audiences. I'll get pretty nervous in the guitar shop unaccompanied ... But playing in front of 200 people or so with a band I'll really enjoy (although I'll get pretty nervous beforehand.)

I probably included a lot of useless information there, as I'm new to this stuff. But I'd like some other opinions.

Cheers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
100% allowed. I'm an ENTP who doesn't like gadgets/engineering. It's okay. :proud:

Generally NTs will gravitate toward what they are good at. Science is popular because of its basis in logic, but an NT's abilities could fall anywhere. Maybe check out the mypersonality.info Multiple Intelligences test to better understand what those skills could be. Angela Lansbury is an INTJ, for example.

Just read a lot of articles (found at the INTJ forum, many are excellent) and try to overlook stereotypes. And I'm sure someone will give you a link to a good cognitive functions site and you can analyze those, but I'm a novice in function theory so I'll leave that to someone more reliable. :p

As an aside... I'm getting a little bit of an INTP vibe, read articles about them too. :proud:

Reactions: The_Guitarist

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah I see, that makes sense.

INTJ does seem to fit me best based on what I've read, but my lack of interest in typical INTJ interests (i.e. Science, maths, gaming, technology etc.) left me a bit sceptical. As in fact that better describes the interests of two of my ENFP friends (I think I asked quite a few people to test themselves a while back...) :tongue:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Treat word "scientist" more symbolically - it simply represents the mind-set INTJs often have but whether it is applied to study of physics or shopping in a grocery store is irrelevant - it just represents how they are likely to think. I think if you ask about careers in INTJ forum you will get a wide variety of responses :)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My favorite INTJ in the whole wide world is pretty much the most extreme INTJ you'll ever meet, but guess what he's majoring in? Social Studies. Mmmmyep. He's good at math and science, but he's totally uninterested in it. He's much more into philosophy and the like. He says that he doesn't see the fun in doing something for which there are definite answers. Kind of an interesting take on things.

So yes, it's very much possible.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Treat word "scientist" more symbolically - it simply represents the mind-set INTJs often have but whether it is applied to study of physics or shopping in a grocery store is irrelevant - it just represents how they are likely to think. I think if you ask about careers in INTJ forum you will get a wide variety of responses :)
Yes, yes, yes! Another word for the INTP is the architect. While few of us are into that sort of thing (I actually used to design houses for fun but I'm sort of odd like that:wink:) whatever I do is a "master plan", a "grand design", a "symphony"...no matter how silly and mundane it is.

My favorite INTJ in the whole wide world is pretty much the most extreme INTJ you'll ever meet, but guess what he's majoring in? Social Studies. Mmmmyep. He's good at math and science, but he's totally uninterested in it. He's much more into philosophy and the like. He says that he doesn't see the fun in doing something for which there are definite answers. Kind of an interesting take on things.

So yes, it's very much possible.
Funny. That was what turned me off math and science as well. And yet some people hate things that are open ended. A lot of ST's who like math claim to enjoy it because it is "either right or wrong". I always found that strange. But then again I am very aware of what is logically true and false...

In any case, I think you will find a greater proportion of NT's not into those things on these message boards than you would find in "real life". Many "scientific" people (no offense to scientific types on the forum) do not go in for personality theory, I find...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts