Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An INTP in college | motivation problems | need help!!!!

Hello everybody.
I am 17 years old, male, and it's my first year in college. I was wondering if there is any advice to how to manage studies, especially that i didn't do very well in high school because of me being a very lazy intp.
I am smart, yes. But I can't help but change my interests, i usually get bored easily and i suffer before exams because i can't focus on studying, and instead, i'm reading about penguins or string theory (even if i'm not finished yet with classical mecanics)
I always wanted to study physics (or at least mathematics), but i ended up with engineering owing to a series of cercumstances.
i have 2 years of studying sciences [preparatory classes] (maths : calculus, algebra, statistics etc.. - physics: classical mecanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, chimistry etc.. - and some programming courses) after that i get to choose a speciality- a branch of engeneering.
now don't get me wrong, i'm a little bit excited, but i know that this 'state of mind' is going to be over soon, and i find engineering to be very boring, i'm more into abstract and theoretical stuff, that's why i deceided to finish the first 2 years, and in the meantime i could think about the future.
I am asking for ways to stay motivated, or some methods to charge my motivation from time to time. I don't want to fuck it up, and i really mean it.
I need some insight

:sad:
~ thank you all

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,284 Posts
Motivation would be monetary.
Engineering is a good career to start with.
Get your degree, get a job, be smart with your money so that you don't have to work very long.

I have a job with a topic I find interesting but at the end of the day it's a job and I'd rather be doing something else.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motivation would be monetary.
Engineering is a good career to start with.
Get your degree, get a job, be smart with your money so that you don't have to work very long.

I have a job with a topic I find interesting but at the end of the day it's a job and I'd rather be doing something else.
thanks man !!

·
Registered
29,012 Posts
Engineering Science?
If that is the case, I think you could go either into Engineering after two years or you could pursue a specific Science as well. I would recommend what you are doing, because you have no idea what will change after two years. I didn't really know what I wanted to do until I experienced it in class.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any advice ?

Engineering Science?
If that is the case, I think you could go either into Engineering after two years or you could pursue a specific Science as well. I would recommend what you are doing, because you have no idea what will change after two years. I didn't really know what I wanted to do until I experienced it in class.
thanks mate.
do you have any advice concerning the laziness and the distraction matters?

·
Registered
29,012 Posts
thanks mate.
do you have any advice concerning the laziness and the distraction matters?
Wake up early, take early classes and do it consistently. If you have a routine, then you will get things done. Start homework as soon as classes end, then you will have plenty of time to be distracted. It's more flexible, for me. Usually, my assignments are posted a week before they are due, so the workload is lighter." Maybe I'm not the right person for this. That's why I said it is good that you are doing your "preparatory work" because you could change direction one day. That's kind of how I am right now, just trying multiple different things to satisfy multiple interests.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's just that.... I don't like it,

If you have a routine, then you will get things done.
Don't get me wrong, i tried so many times, but i just couldn't steak to a routine, i think i just don't like (NOT TO USE: HATE) scheduling stuff, even if i know its benefits. I'll try again, maybe it'll change this time.
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ADVICE :heart:

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Universities are gates of hell. Just remember you're not there to learn, you're there for the paper that you can wave in employers face so they give you money!

Uni is only a small part of your life so once you're out on the other side you should be golden.

...assuming you study something people will hire you for and you don't fail your studies of course.

·
Registered
INTP
4,215 Posts
Get a timer and a calendar, or some kind of computer-based tracker. Commit to doing a certain amount of studying or project work each day, and mark/track it.

Break up the time. Let's say you want to work for 2 hours a day. Experiment with what kind of time period works for you before your mind wanders, or before you get distracted by penguins, or before you find excuses for taking a break. For me, this was 30 minutes. For others it can be 15 minutes, 60 minutes, or longer.

Be realistic; if you break up the time, 2 hours of work might take up 4 hours of your evening (depending on how long your breaks are). But at least you won't be spending all night "working" and not really accomplishing anything.

Have a goal. Do you want to achieve high grades, or do you just want to pass? Each time you receive grades from an assignment or test, compare this to your goal. If you're not doing well in one course, devote more time to that course to make up for the discrepancy.

Try joining the online discussion groups (if they exist) for your classes. Discussing problems and helping others might help motivate you. But again, put a time limit on these and decide what your goal(s) are. For example, you might limit yourself to half an hour a day on discussion groups, and aim to answer one person's question and/or ask one question of your own. You can do this during one of your breaks from actual studying.

Decide whether you do better sticking with one assignment/project/test until it's done, or whether you'd rather jump around, e.g., spend half an hour on an assignment and then another half an hour studying for a test, and then back to the assignment for another half hour. When I had multiple projects in my job, I enjoyed leapfrogging two projects. (But no more than two, because then I'd forget some of the details.) And I didn't need to take so many breaks because I was doing something different. So maybe if you have three things you need to accomplish this week, try working on two of them until one is done, then continue on #2 and #3 for the rest of the week.

Play energetic music for the tedious/repetitious/mindless tasks, and try to have quiet for the work that requires concentration. I know this will vary from person to person, but this is what worked for me.

If you have build projects, think of ways to make them more colorful or funky in some way. Just don't spend too much time fooling around!

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The problem with motivation is that it's an over reaction to some gaining idea. By gaining ideas, I mean things that will save you from suffering, things that will enhance you in some way, etc. Over reaction clouds your view of reality, and anything that clouds reality will keep you trapped in a cycle of ups and downs.

How you do something matters significantly more than what you do. So, how would one study, or work, or do any activity? By being relaxed yet intensely focused, have no expectations (of success or failure), and do not allow the activity to consume you completely (i.e. space awareness). If these criteria are met, the practice itself is already the reward regardless of what you do. Just don't let the success that follows pull you out of practice.

I hope my words are not too abstract to decipher, and good luck.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Think of motivation as the myth it is.... yeah there may be days where you feel like getting shit done, but they are very rare exceptions. You just never will feel like doing it, so you might as well stop sabotaging yourself and grind through things.
Checklists can give you some positive reinforcement as you get things done
There are also gamifying apps like Habitica. I didn't last long in them but they might work for you.
Find ways to make your work fun, or to implement some form of positive reinforcement. In my case I try to insert things that make me laugh into my work, but I have an awesome line of work that lets me do this.
Remove distractors some way or another. Make them hard to reach. If motivation is lacking, then sometimes this is all you can do.

Discipline is basically the grit to do shit when you don't feel like it, and it's something you build, like a habit. Disciplined people aren't motivated, they just are accustomed to pushing themselves through shit they don't want to do on a regular basis.

That being said, if you don't enjoy your job, will you be okay doing it for the rest of your life after school is done? 8 hours a day is a long time to pour on something you don't enjoy.

Reactions: Erdos

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get a timer and a calendar, or some kind of computer-based tracker. Commit to doing a certain amount of studying or project work each day, and mark/track it.

Break up the time. Let's say you want to work for 2 hours a day. Experiment with what kind of time period works for you before your mind wanders, or before you get distracted by penguins, or before you find excuses for taking a break. For me, this was 30 minutes. For others it can be 15 minutes, 60 minutes, or longer.

Be realistic; if you break up the time, 2 hours of work might take up 4 hours of your evening (depending on how long your breaks are). But at least you won't be spending all night "working" and not really accomplishing anything.

Have a goal. Do you want to achieve high grades, or do you just want to pass? Each time you receive grades from an assignment or test, compare this to your goal. If you're not doing well in one course, devote more time to that course to make up for the discrepancy.

Try joining the online discussion groups (if they exist) for your classes. Discussing problems and helping others might help motivate you. But again, put a time limit on these and decide what your goal(s) are. For example, you might limit yourself to half an hour a day on discussion groups, and aim to answer one person's question and/or ask one question of your own. You can do this during one of your breaks from actual studying.

Decide whether you do better sticking with one assignment/project/test until it's done, or whether you'd rather jump around, e.g., spend half an hour on an assignment and then another half an hour studying for a test, and then back to the assignment for another half hour. When I had multiple projects in my job, I enjoyed leapfrogging two projects. (But no more than two, because then I'd forget some of the details.) And I didn't need to take so many breaks because I was doing something different. So maybe if you have three things you need to accomplish this week, try working on two of them until one is done, then continue on #2 and #3 for the rest of the week.

Play energetic music for the tedious/repetitious/mindless tasks, and try to have quiet for the work that requires concentration. I know this will vary from person to person, but this is what worked for me.

If you have build projects, think of ways to make them more colorful or funky in some way. Just don't spend too much time fooling around!

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck.

I'll see what I can do, even thought the problem is not that i don't know work methods, it's just that I can't stick to one, I get bored, or maybe I just can't be organazed.
Anyway, thank you so much for the advice, i really appreciate it <#

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Try to become a part of a study group. It's far easier to work on things together with other people, as long as they don't get distracted easily either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have struggled with motivation in the past. I dream big, sound like Trump, it's going to be "fantastic" and "YUUGE", then my follow through isn't always what I would like.
For me personally the first year of college was the worst. After I got over adjustment period and could focus my studies more on what I was passionate about then I enjoyed the experience. Not usually the way we INTPs think but networking and job opportunities that colleges can provide are also a big help for getting started in your career.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try to become a part of a study group. It's far easier to work on things together with other people, as long as they don't get distracted easily either.
actually, i prefer to work alone, i'm OK with helping others from time to time, but i can't stand studying in a groupe.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
actually, i prefer to work alone, i'm OK with helping others from time to time, but i can't stand studying in a groupe.
Maybe a study partner then. You don't even have to study in the same room, you could just discuss study related context online.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts