Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INTP: What inspires you?

Explanations are not necessary, but would be interesting.

(Random objects include all types of digital objects, but if you could connect us random PerC users with a real object via the electronic medium, that would be particularly inspiring ;)

Perhaps some inspirations are better left unanalyzed, then again, post-analysis, the inspiration might maintain its inspirational qualities, or become even stronger for an INTP.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Einstein

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4uqPjKOMI

This video inspires me. It stirs up a forthright, purposeful emotion in me. It has become my mantra. And at every replay, there are chills.

Parts that are especially stimulating to me:

• "Start the music"
  • "I read somewhere how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once. To find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions. That's the way it is here."
  • "I'm going to be all the way out there.... in the wild.."
  • "Woooo hoooo hooo" :)
  • "If you want something in life, reach out and grab it"

Reactions: Audrey

·
Registered
903 Posts
A ton of things inspire me. Science, philosophy, collages, poetry, music, etc. Here is some poetry I find myself coming back to often...

I hate and I love. How can I do that, you might ask me perhaps?
I do not know. But that's what I feel and this is torture.
-Catullus LXXXV

I. You scare me
Into circles.
Into dimples I can’t trust.
Like a smile-automaton.
II. What if I told you, I’ve never seen soil like your soul before,
perfect for growing.
What if I told you,
Your heart was so pure it doesn’t beat;
it blooms.
I think there’s spring inside you.
But I vowed no more muses, no more dragon headed rose bushes
With beautiful faces and thorn fangs.
No more writing wishes
And farewell kisses urgent*
as words in boldface.
But in less than a stanza,
You wooed me into the room, like the first cries of a lone violinist
In an empty auditorium.
Plucking imperfections.
Saying if life is a tune
Then I just want to play it better.
How on God’s green earth am I back here, in the same field
With garden tools and orchid bruise still fresh
But your fruit is still fresher.
Believing in resurrection- that life rises from dirt.
Despite all the hurt,
I still know harvest when I see it.
III. I used to be a statue, transfixed stone
Staring at the pretty boy with snakes in his hair.
Come winter, when my skin turns to marble
You can still see his fingerprints there-
fissures and cracks
His handiwork.
But like I said before…
You garden you.
Tender farmer, unharden.
This pile of bricks. You are building me into butterfly hive.
Honey shrine. Stomach can’t sit still and stew no more.
Gotta break free.
Belly got wings. The heights are in my bowels.
Feeding me a smattering of stars.
Every constellation, I mean conversation with you
is like the dropping of bread crumbs-
The littlest bit draws the whole heaven.
So don’t be an angel quoting scripture one minute
And the next be a vulture talking with your mouth full.
Don’t follow me like a guardian and then follow me like a scavenger
I’ve been a skeleton before.
Please don’t scare me.
Be a laughing field of jasmine, opening my night.
Be gentle, be light, be feather, and float.
Can’t fly.
Only fall.
All I got is lungs
with air in them.
Don’t rob me
yet.

-Alysia Harris

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Venus Project

I really like his ideas and idealistic vision of a better sustainable society, regardless of it's practicality or lack thereof. I enjoy reading about these sort of ideas, and to muse about it for a while. It's inspiring to me, even though I'm nowhere near to being an activist in this field.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Interestingly, I don't find many things "inspiring"
At least, not by what most people seem to think it means.

I suppose songs would have to be my main source of "inspiration."
"But you're never really special, you just realise you're average instead.
And you try a wash away the crowd, play your music far too loud*
But everyone will just see that you're irritating people*hating"

Also, I really liked the Catcher in the Rye. It really shows how most teenagers feel alienated and such, it's not just you. I'm not sure if that's inspiration, but it's certainly eye-opening. :3

·
Banned
395 Posts
A good story (from any kind of media) always makes me want to improve in random personal areas of my life, usually my writing. Granted, this is short-lived as I lose momentum very quickly, but I get a little done sometimes.

And as far as music goes, some songs come across as a story to me, even if it wasn't quite written that way. Also, when I hear male singers that I like a lot, I tend to suddenly think I have tons of musical potential...

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,160 Posts
seems like the space could use some quotes, affirmations, and other clutter...

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." W. Somerset Maugham

"By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact, it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to invent." (R. Emerson)

Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious and immature. --- Tom Robbins

I am nothing and nobody; atoms that have learned to look at themselves; dirt that has learned to see the awe and the majesty of the universe. --- Geoffrey A. Landis, Winter Fire

Shun no toil to make yourself remarkable by some talent or other; yet do not devote yourself to one branch exclusively. Strive to get clear notions about all. Give up no science entirely; for science is but one. --- Seneca

As I let go of my feelings of guilt, I am in touch with my inner sociopath. I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia. - "Life Affirmations that are Attainable"

The only thing better than messing with somebody's sense of reality is messing with a whole LOTTA people's sense of reality.... ---J. Michael Straczynski

Paranoia is not a sign of irrationalism, but of an excessive rationalism, a fearful preoccupation with systems, a rage for order (and against it). --- Alexander Star

"One of the reasons I became an artist was that I didn't like interacting with other humans." - Lane Smith

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul. --- Mark Twain

The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success. --- Elliot Carver

The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but have only one course of action. --- Frank Herbert

Truth be told, to observe the future without altering it is a scientific impossibility. But if your views remain fluid, even a false vision is far more valuable than no vision at all. ---James L. Halperin

Since everything is in our heads, we had better not lose them. - - - Coco Chanel

"This I believe: That the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: The freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: Any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." ---John Steinbeck

Natural selection won't matter soon, not anywhere near as much as conscious selection. We will civilise and alter ourselves to suit our ideas of what we can be. Within one more human lifespan, we will have changed ourselves unrecognisably". --- David Brin

"Our ability to adapt and therefore to accept everything is one of our greatest dangers. Creatures that are completely flexible, changeable, can have no fixed morality." --- Stanislaw Lem, "His Master's Voice."

I'm all for treating others with respect. However, I don't think that should be extended to (for example) refraining from research into cognitive science just because the end result may offend someone who held a prejudiced view of what the result 'ought' to be. --- Jeff Dee

People who have lost their dreams no longer think that life is a grand adventure, as children see their lives, but instead they live something of a tired day-to-day existence, caught in duties and allegiances and baggage and they ask only very little of life. Dead dreams poison our psychological selves infecting every aspect of our lives. When our dreams are dead, no longer do we see the big picture. -- Amara Graps

It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well.--- Discours de la Méthode.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr

"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." -- Q

"Adrenaline means more than fear," said Fireweed. "And divine love is more then adrenaline and dopamine." "Certainly. There's phenylethylamine and oxcytocin. Love is a most complex and difficult probblem."-- Joan Slonczewski, Brian Plague

"The Universe is made up of the complex interactions of 3 diverse elements. Matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest." ---- G'kar, Babylon5

In every domain, when anything exceeds a certain measurement, it suddenly changes its aspect, condition, or nature. The curve doubles back, the surface contracts to a point, the solid disintegrates, the liquid boils, the germ cell divides, intuition suddenly bursts on the piled up facts... -- Teilhard de Chardin

I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells. --- Dr. Seuss

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." --- R.A. Heinlein

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

You can resist the invasion of armies, but you cannot resist the invasion of ideas.--- Robert Söderberg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Things that inspire me:

- Observing the night sky

- Losing myself in nature
- Pondering the grand complexity of the universe (macro and micro)
- Observing majestic scenery
- Visiting ancient historical sites
- Watching a child develop
- Contemplating deep time and deep space

Music, poetry, and objects do nothing for me. There is so much observable beauty in everyday life already that most people take for granted. Simply look around and realize the astounding nature of everything you see.

Reactions: Thu and RogueWave

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1 - 20 of 33 Posts