Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm brand new, but I already have a question, and hopefully as fellow INTPs (or not, if you want to add in anything regardless of type), you guys can answer it for me. So I'm like 93% sure that I'm an INTP, and I do exhibit most of the trademark characteristics. Except one. I'm not shy. Emotionally, yes. The "real" me lives inside my head behind really cool steel walls and has only ever come out to play with one other person, my best friend. Actually, she sort of baited it out of my head. But I digress. Anyway, I can manipulate people and their emotions really easily. Putting on fake emotions designed to make them feel a certain way comes very easily, and its not hard to strike up a conversation with a stranger and make them like me. My reasoning for this is that I'm an INTP with a specialization in people. As INTPs, we all love complex puzzles, and what more accessible complex puzzle is there on a daily basis than interpersonal relations? So, I was just wondering if there were any more like me out there, and if so, any observations?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure if I've ever heard of an INTP who even desires to control another persons emotions, much less displays any adeptness at it (not knowing what other people are feeling is kind of the hallmark of being a Ti-dom).

The thought of being fake and making people dance to my tune... eurgh. I am seriously uncomfortable with that. And I can be plenty charming, by-and-large through my sense of humor, but it's not like I need to play pretend to do that - I might not put it all on the table at once, but that's definitely not the same thing as actively being something I'm not.

Type yourself as whatever you feel most comfortable with, but yeah, that is extremely unusual for an INTP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not quite so much that I enjoy manipulating people. In fact, manipulating might be the wrong word. It's more of a "Oh, if a person does this, that, that, that, and that happens". Also, I typically take myself out of the situation. Being a passive observer of a situation is what mainly interests me. But if someone is stopping me from getting what I want, or is requiring me to interact socially, its not difficult. Just like a very complex computer program with many inputs and outputs, if that makes sense. Thanks for the reply though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I can't really tell what they're feeling. Just actions and reactions between other people. I can't see inside their heads (although that would be really cool).

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey guys, I'm brand new, but I already have a question, and hopefully as fellow INTPs (or not, if you want to add in anything regardless of type), you guys can answer it for me. So I'm like 93% sure that I'm an INTP, and I do exhibit most of the trademark characteristics. Except one. I'm not shy. Emotionally, yes. The "real" me lives inside my head behind really cool steel walls and has only ever come out to play with one other person, my best friend. Actually, she sort of baited it out of my head. But I digress. Anyway, I can manipulate people and their emotions really easily. Putting on fake emotions designed to make them feel a certain way comes very easily, and its not hard to strike up a conversation with a stranger and make them like me. My reasoning for this is that I'm an INTP with a specialization in people. As INTPs, we all love complex puzzles, and what more accessible complex puzzle is there on a daily basis than interpersonal relations? So, I was just wondering if there were any more like me out there, and if so, any observations?
If I understand what you're saying...

I'm capable of doing this when I need to in certain social situations. Being engaging and 'charming' I guess you could say. However it's very draining and can't last, and probably a learned behavior.

I'm curious. Are you drained by acting that way, or does it just come naturally?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm pretty good at understanding what others feel and what they do; I've spent most of my life studying and experimenting with social situations to figure out how people react. Growing up I went about in a tactical way, if I could figure out and predict how others would react I could easily counter them. I don't necessarily manipulate them into doing anything just try to predict their behaviors.

That aside I rather sit back and observe people and body language than actually interacting and manipulating them; I probably could do so easily but have no desire for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It depends. If it's a social situation I don't want to actively be in (most of them), it is draining, which is why I usually don't do it for very long, and usually just to get people to leave me alone. But occasionally, I want to see how people react to certain things I do, so I add myself in as a variable to the experiment, and it's like a new and invigorating challenge. For a little while anyway, until I get bored of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty good at understanding what others feel and what they do; I've spent most of my life studying and experimenting with social situations to figure out how people react. Growing up I went about in a tactical way, if I could figure out and predict how others would react I could easily counter them. I don't necessarily manipulate them into doing anything just try to predict their behaviors.

That aside I rather sit back and observe people and body language than actually interacting and manipulating them; I probably could do so easily but have no desire for it.
^This, most of the time. I do enjoy interacting with them sometimes because occasionally someone will say something that might not actually be very smart, but sets me off on a new, fun tangent in my head.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
^This, most of the time. I do enjoy interacting with them sometimes because occasionally someone will say something that might not actually be very smart, but sets me off on a new, fun tangent in my head.
" They enjoy discovering what makes people tick—their motivations, interests, patterns, and propensities. This allows INTPs to further hone and refine their theories (Ti-Ne) of human nature (Fe)."
Source

Reactions: Haldir

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Hi I am new too.

Anyways I always get INTP and I never get it. N being my highest score I get that. I rank much lower on the I score. So anyways I would consider where you rank on percentages with each sub category.

I specialize in human resources, care, supervising, and I am a photographer on the side seasonal. My day to day job is to oversee resident care and coordinate facility needs. I lead staff & comfort and care for residents. I actually think tho that the part about almost pure child like affection is where I can relate to residents so well. I am not fond of leading or supervising tho as far as handling the part of baby sitting adult staff. I like creating, planning, and strategizing much more then leading the staff. But I make that work by just being practical with merit.

I can say that what my boss values is my objectivity and big picture thinking I am about as fair as it gets at work because I don't operate on pride, or politics, or emotions I operate on functionality and results and delegate tasks for efficiency. So that my human resource strength is that I lead by principle and weighing not by motivation to be well liked.

Anyways I am quite indifferent in most aspects of life I just happen to depend on a lively hood in an industry where I evolved, and I have kids to care for.

Anyways I think if you like socializing continually you might be ENTP.

I don't like socializing I like formulating and directing in the sense of making my visions realty. I have no interest in controlling others, just my own environment.

I would just consider that its a personality type its not a one size cookie cutter. I am not a scientist or genius.

And I am not shy I come off as a bitch to most people. Just a quite bitch. but not a scared one a self assured one.

You should take the sub categories into consideration as well as look at your enneagram and socionics results

·
Registered
18 Posts
" They enjoy discovering what makes people tick—their motivations, interests, patterns, and propensities. This allows INTPs to further hone and refine their theories (Ti-Ne) of human nature (Fe)."
I think this is it. I do the same, and I think that, while those social habilities could be seen as extroversion or feeling in other typings, in (some) INTPs are the result of Ti-Ne, indeed.
I don't know if you OP will relate to this, but I do study and manipulate people for fun (in the best of ways, l swear). Trying to understand other people's minds, guess their backgrounds and morals and predict their actions, it's like a game. In my case, I would go as far as to call it a hobby. In my mind, I keep a psychological profile of every person close to me, and some other people too (which I'm sure are biased by my own view of the world but that only makes me want to perfect them). Also, as an INTP, knowing how to act to make people like you or make social interaction with strangers less awkward really comes in handy. But if it doesn't amuse you it's terribly draining.
Also, maybe it could be that INTPs who enjoy doing this have a lower Ti? I guess it would be easier for a lower-Ti to be able to undertand Fe, but I'm just improvising a theory here.
* Apologies for any grammar mistakes or whatever, English is not my native language, but I found this topic really interesting.

N.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this is it. I do the same, and I think that, while those social habilities could be seen as extroversion or feeling in other typings, in (some) INTPs are the result of Ti-Ne, indeed.
I don't know if you OP will relate to this, but I do study and manipulate people for fun (in the best of ways, l swear). Trying to understand other people's minds, guess their backgrounds and morals and predict their actions, it's like a game. In my case, I would go as far as to call it a hobby. In my mind, I keep a psychological profile of every person close to me, and some other people too (which I'm sure are biased by my own view of the world but that only makes me want to perfect them). Also, as an INTP, knowing how to act to make people like you or make social interaction with strangers less awkward really comes in handy. But if it doesn't amuse you it's terribly draining.
Also, maybe it could be that INTPs who enjoy doing this have a lower Ti? I guess it would be easier for a lower-Ti to be able to undertand Fe, but I'm just improvising a theory here.
* Apologies for any grammar mistakes or whatever, English is not my native language, but I found this topic really interesting.

N.
Actually, I do relate to this. Almost perfectly. And what you said about the psychological profile is dead on. Sometimes I actually even visualize a classic manila folder in my head for each person. It's nice to know that other people like me are out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts