Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just observing people in everyday life, I've noticed something interesting about the way in which sensors and intuitives respond to controversial topics. If the issue relates to common problems such as child discipline, relationships, or anything else that is people-related, intuitives seem to respond in a calm and objective manner, usually being able to resolve the conflict easily. Sensors on the other hand respond almost violently, guided completely by their emotions during the heat of the moment, and they usually end up making the situation worse than it was before. But this works both ways. When it comes to humanity-related matters such as global-warming, philosophy, genocide, and historical debates, it is the sensors who remain calm and objective, while the intuitives can hardly keep their act together. I may be entirely wrong, but it's just based on personal observation. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is a logical conclusion to come to by me; S's think more about the here and now so they would bend over backwards trying to help someone dealing with something about it, and same thing about N's and broader, global terms. The problem would be when they are not open to dealing with it any other way (because they MUST be right, for they have thought about that specific issue for so long), and there is a factor (or many factors) that they did not account for. Darn emotions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting thread. I definitely see some truth in it. Not sure if it is completely universal, or effected by T and F as well. But I'd like to hear more opinions..

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
too much of this "theory" has to be forced for it to actually fit real-life. each opposing side of perception is grounded in it's opposite, is conscious to a varying degree, and for each argument that can be made to predict one's reactions in such a specific arena--a counter argument can be made that shows how ridiculous it is to try and pin a type down to it's pre-thought-out-behavior(/the premeditated behavior that is concocted in another's head).

i was actually going to say that this could be more about extroversion/introversion--but even then, are they overreacting because they're just so extroverted (or would their extroversion cause them to only overreact if those around them were also of the mind to do so--but then again, that in itself is starting to get into the realm of feeling really; so, could we say that in this specific case, it would be more of a lack of the "subjective factor", in which case this extrovert would be more a slave or reed that is blown in the direction of it's own environment, and it would be the environment itself that dictates the response-------but! even then, it would still depend on this person's level of awareness of that subjective factor to combat the familiar pull of the outer world...)

could the introversion make someone act "out of sorts" within their own environment? could their reaction just be "too passionate" (in regards to their normal demeanor--if they are usually pretty bland). could something in the outer world--a place they largely ignore, purely on accident i'm sure :p--put something in front of their face that causes "that other side" of them to come out?

eh, still bleary-eyed and this toxic coffee hasn't fully entered my system yet, but lets just say that we are all more fluid than those thoughts in the OP will allow for.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Meh, on the abortion thread, I saw some intuitives and sensors getting emotionally invested in the topic and some intuitives and some sensors with a more philosophical response. I'm a parent and I'm calm dealing with disciplining my kids. Although my husband says that's because I'm a big kid.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
To be honest, I think this might have more to do with our life-experience, even though our cognition affects what we pay most attention to. It's relatively easy for me to stay calm in a debate about abuse, for example, because I've never experienced it, but for someone who has, I can see why they would be more emotional because it hits so close to home.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Watch some N's complaining about SJ parents. Calm, rational thinking is null and void.

Reactions: Souvlaki and Calvin

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Watch some N's complaining about SJ parents. Calm, rational thinking is null and void.
This is not a sensor-bashing thread. It's just an observation about how both intuitives and sensors get over-excited when their area of interest is discussed.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
This is not a sensor-bashing thread. It's just an observation about how both intuitives and sensors get over-excited when their area of interest is discussed.
I didn't think you were bashing sensors. I'm disagreeing with you where the lines are drawn.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I don't think it's related. My ISTJ father gets excited and loud whenever it comes to the stuff you said in which S's remain calm.
Either way it has to do more with one's interests.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I'm always relatively calm in debates.
I have a few sore points. But then, I rarely enter debates on something I already know is a sore point if I don't think I'm in the mood to have a rational discussion about it.

Reactions: Bluity

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I don't claim to know how every function in the book works,but I think intuitives will just look at Congress, and have a sob fest,while Sensors will look at Congress,and see how to take advantage of principles in piecemeal, see how you can exploit divisions. Intuitives would never dream compromising on such moral issues as poverty. How could anyone do this,it's inhumane. I've read that intuitives are not the best at seeing the real world,while us Sensors are just in harmony with it. And when a Sensor says to an intuitive let's do it this way, an intuitive will get livid because there's no room for compromise. At least this is what I've noticed.

Just observing people in everyday life, I've noticed something interesting about the way in which sensors and intuitives respond to controversial topics. If the issue relates to common problems such as child discipline, relationships, or anything else that is people-related, intuitives seem to respond in a calm and objective manner, usually being able to resolve the conflict easily. Sensors on the other hand respond almost violently, guided completely by their emotions during the heat of the moment, and they usually end up making the situation worse than it was before. But this works both ways. When it comes to humanity-related matters such as global-warming, philosophy, genocide, and historical debates, it is the sensors who remain calm and objective, while the intuitives can hardly keep their act together. I may be entirely wrong, but it's just based on personal observation. Has anyone else noticed this?

Reactions: Calvin
1 - 13 of 13 Posts