Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I just wanted to share my thoughts on arguments, and how they should be held. I'm not sure what this post is going to be but, we'll see as I write. Btw I'm not a native speaker, so you're a legend if you read through this without getting confused.

People think that because I am arguing with you, I have something against you. This isn't true because, if I really had something against you I would brush it off casually and subtly remove you from my life. Anyway, I am not arguing with you because I don't like you as a person. It's got nothing to do with personal matters.

An argument has 2 points of view, one from you and one from your adversary. (I shall refer to the opposing party as adversary from this point on). Your goal is to, firstly defuse any arguments your adversary puts on the table, and secondly, after having defused their arguments, to convince them of your point. An argument is a measurement of argumentation skill and knowledge of facts. Facts that are relevant to the topic that can help you in your convincing. Someone with a larger storehouse of these will naturally have an edge.

An argument is not an extreme conflict, and it should be the goal of both parties to refrain the argument from escalating into one. If it was an extreme conflict, we would be refering to the opposing party using the term "enemy".

An enemy is someone you have to destroy. An adversary is someone you want to defeat. With adversaries, compromise is honorable: Today’s adversary could be tomorrow’s ally. With enemies, on the other hand, compromise is appeasement. Between adversaries, trust is possible. They will beat you if they can, but they will accept the verdict of a fair fight.

Between enemies, trust is impossible. They do not play by the rules (or if they do, only as a means to an end) and if they win, they will try to rewrite the rules, so that they can never be beaten again.

While not an extreme conflict, one could classify an argument as another type of lighter conflict, possibly a competition: an event or contest in which people take part in order to establish superiority or supremacy in a particular area. However, this isn't entirely accurate, because an argument is not an organised event/contest.

Some people see arguments as horrible things, that should be avoided at all times. The truth is; conflict and competition drives innovation. History has proven this countless of times. In the 20th century, humanity has advanced technologically more than ever. The first half of this century was the stage for 2 world wars, and the second half a stage for the Cold War, that if gone hot, could have wiped out humanity.

The orgins of GPS is a perfect example for this:
The GPS project was launched in the United States in 1973 to overcome the limitations of previous navigation systems, integrating ideas from several predecessors, including classified engineering design studies from the 1960s. The U.S. Department of Defense developed the system, which originally used 24 satellites. It was initially developed for use by the United States military and became fully operational in 1995. Civilian use was allowed from the 1980s. Although there were wide needs for accurate navigation in military and civilian sectors, almost none of those was seen as justification for the billions of dollars it would cost in research, development, deployment, and operation of a constellation of navigation satellites. During the Cold War arms race, the nuclear threat to the existence of the United States was the one need that did justify this cost in the view of the United States Congress. This deterrent effect is why GPS was funded. It is also the reason for the ultra-secrecy at that time. The nuclear triad consisted of the United States Navy's submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs) along with United States Air Force (USAF) strategic bombers and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs). Considered vital to the nuclear deterrence posture, accurate determination of the SLBM launch position was a force multiplier.

Precise navigation would enable United States ballistic missile submarines to get an accurate fix of their positions before they launched their SLBMs. The USAF, with two thirds of the nuclear triad, also had requirements for a more accurate and reliable navigation system. The Navy and Air Force were developing their own technologies in parallel to solve what was essentially the same problem.
Conflict is a necessity for innovation, and allows all parties involved to grow and benefit:
GPS has become a widely deployed and useful tool for commerce, scientific uses, tracking, and surveillance. GPS's accurate time facilitates everyday activities such as banking, mobile phone operations, and even the control of power grids by allowing well synchronized hand-off switching.
Had it not been for the arms race, GPS would have never become as big as it is today. So, there you are. Because conflict is necessary, arguments are as well.

BUT THERE'S ONLY BENEFIT WHEN DONE PROPERLY!

The two parties should respect each other at all times! That's what this post boils down to. I do not mind having a proper argument with someone, presenting facts and using logic. There's beauty to be found in every skill, and argumentational skill is no exception, I am truly impressed when someone outplays and outsmarts me. Unfortunately people commonly think of an argument as interpersonal conflict and get emotional. This makes them irrational and sometimes (ridiculous) threats are issued: "I am going to demote you" or "I am literally going to throw this chair onto you". This really pisses me off, because this party is not doing their part in trying to refrain the argument turning into "extreme conflict". Usually I respond to this by saying "I'll hold you to that". Lol. Sometimes, people refer to their rank/role to assert domninance and superiority instead of taking on the challenge. I don't like this either because people actively avoid the challenge. I believe these people possess no skill or intregity whatsoever. If they did, they wouldn't be afraid to use and display it.

I know it might have been messy, but I just typed out what was on my mind. Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts