Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine they would be rare...I mean, I know it sounds stereotypical but every one I have met has been into this stuff. But there are always exceptions. I'm curious: what is TiSe drawn to besides the typical shop/auto/wilderness stuff?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can repair and trouble shoot but I think I'm a bit more sports/athletics oriented. I enjoy mastering a skill. Presently I play pool quite often and have become pretty adept. I guess my tool mastery is a pool cue. I also enjoy golf and basketball - I always like a challenge..more so against myself than others.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I imagine they would be rare...I mean, I know it sounds stereotypical but every one I have met has been into this stuff. But there are always exceptions. I'm curious: what is TiSe drawn to besides the typical shop/auto/wilderness stuff?
Every ISTP sleeps in their garage, so they can keep an eye on the eight vehicles they're in the process of repairing. :happy:

Ti likes thinking about stuff (you should know that).

Se likes acting upon things, but also, using Ti, seeing how things could be acted upon, theoretically.

I've never been very auto minded; I don't own a car. As a kid I loved reading non-fiction and going to museums.

Why is every INTP a gamer nerd? I know it's a stereotype, but every INTP I've met has been a gamer nerd.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
You guys may want to comb through the threads because Caps is correct. It will be rare for you to find ISTPs who are mechanically inclined or have an interest as described. It's a stereotype and if people are choosing to be ISTP based on that fallacy, they may want to keep looking.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every ISTP sleeps in their garage, so they can keep an eye on the eight vehicles they're in the process of repairing. :happy:

Ti likes thinking about stuff (you should know that).

Se likes acting upon things, but also, using Ti, seeing how things could be acted upon, theoretically.

I've never been very auto minded; I don't own a car. As a kid I loved reading non-fiction and going to museums.

Why is every INTP a gamer nerd? I know it's a stereotype, but every INTP I've met has been a gamer nerd.
Hahaha, I feared I would get a response like that. But most ISTP's I've met really have been into the stereotypical stuff, and I wasn't typing them based on that. It goes both ways, too. I know you were trying to make a point, but I find the same thing about INTP's being gamer nerds; people who know me well (but not well enough) are always shocked when I tell them I'm not into computers/electronics. And as much as it's really terrible stereotyping, I don't blame them; almost every INTP I've ever met really has been into them. Nothing wrong with noticing patterns so long as you don't pidgeonhole people. Of course I know not every ISTP is into that sort of thing; that's why I asked the question!:tongue:

And I also have an ISTP cousin who loves reading non-fiction, going to museums and working on/racing cars. So it's not like you can't fit a stereotype and go beyond it...:wink:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Hahaha, I feared I would get a response like that. But most ISTP's I've met really have been into the stereotypical stuff, and I wasn't typing them based on that. It goes both ways, too. I know you were trying to make a point, but I find the same thing about INTP's being gamer nerds; people who know me well (but not well enough) are always shocked when I tell them I'm not into computers/electronics. And as much as it's really terrible stereotyping, I don't blame them; almost every INTP I've ever met really has been into them. Nothing wrong with noticing patterns so long as you don't pidgeonhole people. Of course I know not every ISTP is into that sort of thing; that's why I asked the question!:tongue:

And I also have an ISTP cousin who loves reading non-fiction, going to museums and working on/racing cars. So it's not like you can't fit a stereotype and go beyond it...:wink:
Not to state the obvious but did they test as ISTP or were these your opinions? If they tested as ISTP, did they confirm it? Get where I am going? If they stayed around to confirm, they have enough interest in the subject to be on the forums.

On the other hand if you infer they're ISTP because they are into mechanics, it's no different than saying you're INTP because you love math and chess.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nope, i wouldnt know what part does what in a car unless i had to spend time fixing one and then it would be hit up the wiki or google or just "guess" which would only make matters worse. My choice of tool is the pool cue also and id like to say im getting good at it aswell.

Even tho i can imagine how almost any technology / machine works, i wouldnt call myself mechanically inclined at all.

As for wilderness? Nothing beats a good old QUIET trip through the beautiful country side with a group of friends. Hiking in the mountains with only a few weeks worth of supplies with you... the serenity! i miss that :(

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to state the obvious but did they test as ISTP or were these your opinions? If they tested as ISTP, did they confirm it? Get where I am going? If they stayed around to confirm, they have enough interest in the subject to be on the forums.

On the other hand if you infer they're ISTP because they are into mechanics, it's no different than saying you're INTP because you love math and chess.
As I said earlier, I did see the point you were trying to make. It is certainly a very good one. There is a huge danger in doing that sort of thing. I am a flawed human being and I am sure I have...I don't really want to call them predudices except in the literal etymological sense of "pre-judging" but you know what I mean. It is certainly possible that this influenced my typing process, but it did not do so consciously.

No, I did not test them, but I did to these conclusions based on observing behaviour and watching the cognative functions in action. I actually made conscious effort to put aside interests because I don't have stereotypical INTP interests and understand the dangers of taking them into account. For that matter, behaviour is not everything, but I could not see them being anything but an I, S, T, and P respectively. There were people into these things who were not ISTP. I have typed people as INFP who hate English literature, people as ENFJ who are crazy about math, people as INTP who were sports fanatics, and come to think of it, an ISTP who was a visual artist and hated shop/auto. So I do not use interests alone. There are plenty of exceptions, but I have noticed trends, a great many of which I happen to break myself but are still undeniably there.

But my question wasn't really about stereotypes. It was actually more about ISTP interests in general to be honest, and I probably should have phrased it that way, it's just I didn't want people to give the "stereotypical" answers, because I knew that many ISTP's just so happen to be interested in those things. I hope I have not offended anyone by appearing to stereotype. I am resistant to the idea of being out in a box and I should have expected fellow Ti-doms to be the same way (or was I stereotyping there as well?:wink:)

So, let's try this again. What do ISTP's like to do in their spare time?

·
Banned
27 Posts
In my spare time:

Cycling (in which I hate to say that I do reinforce the stereotype because I do mechanical work on bikes), rock-climbing; campfires with close friends and relatives; yes, being out in nature; board games; spending time with my girlfriend; maybe read a good book... whatever is piquing my interest at the moment.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was never into working on cars until I paid $1600 to replace a transmission. I decided that I wasn't going to do that again, so I started with simple stuff and can now do pretty much everything other than bodywork. I failed both metal and wood shop my freshman year of high school because they just didn't interest me as much as I thought they would.

As for other things I enjoy, drumming, martial arts, weaponry, and violent video games.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I was never into mechanics or working on cars either. My school was so small that we didn't have shop, but there would be special classes sometimes, and I would love to take the crafts, one making bead jewelry and the other was glass cutting; I cut my fingers and burned them on the welding stuff several times that week, but it was really cool. I made a mutli-colored glass kaleidoscope, the kind that costs fifty dollars or more at festivals.

When I get in the mood, I also like to make cork boards. Sometimes, I'd buy the frame; other times, I'd build it myself with the help of my dad (he's really good at woodworking). Then I'd cut actual wine corks in half and lay them out in checkered patterns. These could cost up to $30-50. I've made three to date. Here's what it would look like:

I also like to draw, mostly landscapes and cityscapes, but I have tried my hand at people.

I live in a big city, so I don't get much chance to go nature walking or hiking, but I do love it. A good substitute for this is biking. There are tons of other things that I want to try, namely kayaking, rock climbing, and Krav Maga. But time and money are inhibiting factors. :frustrating:

I love playing board games, card games, and video games, juggling, watching movies and some TV, reading various fiction and non-fiction books, dabbling on my keyboard and trumpet, listening to music, studying whatever strikes my fancy, such linguistics and languages, personality typology, mythology and fairy tales, ancestry, history...I could go on, but I'll just say a lot of stuff interests me. Needless to say, Google is my friend. :crazy:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Meh. I don't work on cars or mechanical/electrical projects for fun. I learned it because it was a necessity and was intriguing. My mom always drove clunkers, car was always in the shop, we could never afford the repairs, so I took over. Same with home repairs - we were always poor, so if we wanted running water or heat, it was up to me to figure it out.

Don't get me wrong - working on things is fun, when I have to do it. But I won't start building a project car. I can't finish anything I start if it's not life or death anyway, so a project car would stay in pieces until I finally sold it off.

When I was a kid I also drew and painted, wrote poetry and short stories, stuff like that. I lost a lot of my creativity as I got older - I don't have much of an imagination anymore, which is fine by me. Sometimes I wish I could paint or write like I used to, but I appreciate being practical and using my skills for everyday living.

I don't have any hobbies to speak of. Right now, at this point in my life, it's been good enough for me that I can tackle anything that comes up without panicking. I'd like to get back into hiking and camping, spend more time outdoors and away from this computer. I'm kind of in a rut.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Personally, I think sports hold most of my interest. I'm more of a participant than a spectator, though. The only time I'm somewhat satisfied with spectating, would be if I'm actually AT the game. Couch spectating rarely holds my interest. Usually after watching a game, I'll go out and throw a football, shoot a few hoops etc. I mostly enjoy combat/contact sports (football, MMA, paintball, airsoft, hockey etc.), but I do want to try out snowboarding, maybe even base jumping(I don't think that's considered a sport, though).

Cars aren't that interesting to me. If they work and get me from point "A" to point "B," without any problems, I'm fine. The racing side of automobiles interests me, not the mechanical side. I think the only reason I'd pick up a toolbox and work on a car, is if there was an issue that was something I could fix on my own and it'd save me a pretty penny. I might be slightly, mechanically biased towards motorcycles, I'd be more apt to figure those out than cars, trucks etc.

Aside from sports, I usually play video games, watch T.V. (military[Special Ops Mission, Surviving the Cut], investigative[Criminal Minds, CSI], survival[Man vs. Wild, Man, Woman, Wild] etc.), movies, exercise, surf the web, listen to music, read informative books(Personality Type most recently). Believe it or not, I also elect to go to work as if it were recreation, so you can add that to the list. I work part-time for a security company that monitors events held at the Florida Citrus Bowl and the new Amway Center, so it can be pretty exciting.

I'd like to do more activities outside of my house, but money is a little tight right now.

P.S. The deepest I've gotten into mechanics was working on paintball guns(taking them apart, seeing how they worked, replacing parts etc.).

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I find INTJ's to be more interested in cars than I am. I do like cars, but they're not my life.
Interesting; I have found INTJ's tend to be interested in cars as well. I heard someone say that it was aspirational (towards Si). Apparently that also explains why so many INTP's are into the performing arts (aspirational Fe). I tind that interesting because that is also an interest of mine...I've put on plays and made movies (before the youtube days when everyone did it) for fun since I was a kid. Any ISTP's here into that as well? I have known a few in real life who were...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Meh. I don't work on cars or mechanical/electrical projects for fun. I learned it because it was a necessity and was intriguing. My mom always drove clunkers, car was always in the shop, we could never afford the repairs, so I took over. Same with home repairs - we were always poor, so if we wanted running water or heat, it was up to me to figure it out.

Don't get me wrong - working on things is fun, when I have to do it. But I won't start building a project car. I can't finish anything I start if it's not life or death anyway, so a project car would stay in pieces until I finally sold it off.

When I was a kid I also drew and painted, wrote poetry and short stories, stuff like that. I lost a lot of my creativity as I got older - I don't have much of an imagination anymore, which is fine by me. Sometimes I wish I could paint or write like I used to, but I appreciate being practical and using my skills for everyday living.

I don't have any hobbies to speak of. Right now, at this point in my life, it's been good enough for me that I can tackle anything that comes up without panicking. I'd like to get back into hiking and camping, spend more time outdoors and away from this computer. I'm kind of in a rut.
That's sort of funny. I still have the creativity, but I used to be able to write with feeling when I was a kid...now I've mostly lost it (although I do pull it off now and again). Writing is still an interest of mine, though from an emotional point of view my fiction ranges from (mostly) very bad to (very rarely) extremely good. At least in my opinion. But I keep being drawn to it...I started writing when I was 5 years old. I wonder if kids are more in touch with their other functions and they "lock in" as we get older? I noticed that happening to me...my brother (also INTP) says the same.

·
Registered
743 Posts
That's sort of funny. I still have the creativity, but I used to be able to write with feeling when I was a kid...now I've mostly lost it (although I do pull it off now and again). Writing is still an interest of mine, though from an emotional point of view my fiction ranges from (mostly) very bad to (very rarely) extremely good. At least in my opinion. But I keep being drawn to it...I started writing when I was 5 years old. I wonder if kids are more in touch with their other functions and they "lock in" as we get older? I noticed that happening to me...my brother (also INTP) says the same.
No, types are set pretty early on. There's a little bit of variation but not much. I read that somewhere but can't remember where.

Regards writing and type, a writer can be any type: Hemingway xSTP, Dickens ENFP, Shakespeare INFP, King INTJ (my theory, anyway), Vonnegut ENTP, Asimov INTP and so on.

Reactions: nevermore
1 - 20 of 33 Posts