Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
true? false?

I found myself undergoing this change some time ago. I once was extremely long-winded, obsessed with covering every aspect and complete internal logical correctness. Typcial, terse, NTJ posts, riled me, and I though I was extremely clever. Actually, I was just a student with too much free time.

Now I find NTJ posts much mroe readable than the typical NTP post. I don't care anymore about covering anything other than the carefully targetted "leverage point". and I don't care if my argument is imperfect, the logic is just a means to argue what I want, not an end in itself.

So: is there truth in my hypothesis?

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Nope.

Look at the cognitive functions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.

Look at the cognitive functions.
Depends what you mean. One view of MBTI is that you can test "function strengths", rank them, and get an MBTI type from that. So you can be, say, Te, Ne, Si, Ti, Fe, Se in function order.

Another view is to view function order holistically, with the functions not as tools, but as expressions of a personality, closely tied to one another, not possible to analyze in seperation from the personality as a whole, manifestations of a "philosophical orientation".

I prefer the 2nd approach. However, it leads onto the question: what happens to "function order" when the fundamental motivations of the personality change? And we're back to square 1. Hence my question.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Sounds like you just developped your Te better. Possibly. At any rate, your title is just....no.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you just developped your Te better

To the point where I prefer to use it?

At any rate, your title is just....no.
I'm a fan of "Simplify the rhyme just to amplify the noise". (Now which philosopher said that?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^ This is an interesting point above. It would suggest that you accept my statement has some validity assuming the person does said job properly.

·
Registered
749 Posts
No complaints and even some praise here and there. I'd say I'm doing a B+ job. I want to be a writer/stand up comic/cage fighting-revolutionary-political figure.. lol. I sorta just see my job as the safety net, most of my free time is spent writing right now.

Point I was trying to make is that I don't feel like I'm using differing cognitive functions and I still feel very INTP at work even if to the outside world I look ENTJ. When I'm at work I write stories and upon getting home I write them down; I don't remember the work itself, well, I do, if someone needs a file or to know about I client I can pull all that up, but it's like that happens automatically. Maybe I'm relying on shadow functions and I've put together some Frankenstein personality that does cromulent work without my oversight :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I'm relying on shadow functions and I've put together some Frankenstein personality that does cromulent work without my oversight :confused:
On second thoughts this could be me! Just call me Dr.

·
Banned
212 Posts
I'd say that is pretty much correct. If "9 to 5" means "developing a routine to achieve goals" (closure) then that holds. If, on the other hand, "9 to 5" means "just following orders" then no.

·
Banned
605 Posts
As an INTP working 9-5 its safe to say my Ti is still constantly going and I'm daydreaming. Only thing that keeps me sane at work.
Daydreaming makes everything easier to tolerate, especially a boring or frustrating job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd say that is pretty much correct. If "9 to 5" means "developing a routine to achieve goals" (closure) then that holds

Yes.

If, on the other hand, "9 to 5" means "just following orders" then no
No, I agree. Obviously a person can hold down a routine-based job without at all internalizing it, and in this case their personality doesn't change. But I was more referring to the phenomenon of people's personalities changing as they age and take on responsibility - an older and much more well known concept than MBTI.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think what I am experiencing is something similar to you.

I used to love all the random P stuff and coming up with silly ideas, but these days I find myself using my logic and intuition for a purpose. I love my intuition, but not for just coming up with wacky uses of logic (like stupid jokes)- which is what I used to love.
Now when I read certain posts, or hear certain things that seem to be silly just for the sake of being wacky, then I just think that the person who said it is a bit of a nob. Very J!
If someone else uses intuition for something that I consider useful, then its cool ;)

It is quite a well known thing that as people get older, they generally become more 'J'.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I'd say that is pretty much correct. If "9 to 5" means "developing a routine to achieve goals" (closure) then that holds. If, on the other hand, "9 to 5" means "just following orders" then no.
I think this one opinion here pretty much ended the point of the thread.
NTJ's are much more achievement-oriented.
NTP's are often rebellious and don't get along well with structured, routine jobs.
We're more offbeat.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
What, so INTJ are inherantly more mature than INTPs? :crazy:

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I still sleep with a teddy bear. Almost 26. :happy:

I think the parallel to becoming 'more J' and personal maturity is a bit nonsensical.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
look up dom-tert loops

What, so INTJ are inherantly more mature than INTPs? :crazy:
For me as a J type who lacks Ne, it seems that Ne users can at times be very childish... or very mature and intelligent. ESPECIALLY Ne-Fi types. So I don't really understand Ne, tbh. Its just all over the place.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts