Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Overview of the Seven (pg 191-192)

It is no great difficulty to see why the life of diverse hedonism is unsatisfactory even in its own terms. Boredom, its ultimate enemy, is unavoidable....A life devoted to the collection of enjoyable or "interesting" experiences is an empty life. It is not a life of spirit, but one in which spirit disappears in the ultitude of diversions....When we think of it, we all know that those who are ina position to sample life's sweet diversions are no better off in any fundamental way than those who are not. We know that those who have thrown themselves into lives of self-indulgence are often racked with emptiness, loneliness, self=hatred, nostalgia, and yet are unwilling to change. Knowing all this, however, we would be reluctant ourselves to pass up the opportunity for such a life. Why is this so? Because we convince ourselves that we would be judicious in our use of pleasure. We would practice restraint....The life of superficial diversions has great attraction, as does the pastry table for the child. In the latter case it is, we know, because the child is not serious about his eating habits. So it is, also, with us....To throw oneself into indulgence is to say, "All I am is a potential for pleasure. The more pleasure that exists, the greater I am." No one can believe this in earnest, of course, and this is why such a life must rest upon self-deception. (John Douglas Mullen, Kierkegaard's Philosophy, 100-101.)

Some of those blessed with the sweetest pleasures of life are in fact not "racked with emptiness, loneliness, [and] self hatred." Some are truly happy and know how blessed they are. Then there are those who seem to be quite happy - at least, they think they are - but they are merely amused and distracted, grabbing after the pleasures of life rather than experiencing happiness on its deeper levels. Finally, there are those who, despite having everything, are bitter and disappointed. For some reason, the possession of wealth and all the good things of life has not been enough forthem. Why the differences among these three kinds of people?

All the personality types are faced with the issue of how to "use" the world to its best advantage, although the Seven is the type which most exemplifies this universal problem . How to enjoy pleasure without living for pleasure? How to possess the good things of life without being insensitive to the needs of others? How to live in the world without getting lost in it? For better or worse, the Seven lives out these questions.

The Major Subtypes of the Seven (pgs 213-216)

The Seven with a Six-Wing

The traits of the Seven and those of a Six-wing are in a certain amount of tension with each other: Sixes are oriented toward people, while Sevens are oriented toward things and experiences, quite capable of fulfilling their own needs themselves. In both types, however, there are dependencies; Sixes depend on finding approval and security from others, while Sevens depend on the environment to make them happy. People of this subtype will attempt to find satisfaction forthemselves, while looking to other people as additional sources of stimulation and happiness. Noteworthy examples of this subtype include John F. Kennedy, Arthur Rubinstein, Leonard Berstein, Mae West, Elizabeth Taylor, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bette Midler, Liza Minnelli, Robin Williams, Peter Ustinov, Carol Burnett, Shelly Winters, Liberace, Richard Simmons, Mickey Rooney, Bob Hope, Sid Caesar, Mell Brooks, Zero Mostel, John Belushi, and Miss Piggy.
Healthy people of this subtype are lovable and endearing. They can be extremely good company because light hearted playfulness, sillness, and wit characterize their sense of humor. While they are essentially aggressive, they also want others to like and accept them. If they have money, they tend to be generous with others, particularly in their socializing, party giving, and traveling. People of this subtype have a soft, sweet side which can be very appealing. They are a kaleidoscope of contrasting traits - ingratiating and sassy, vulnerable and resilient, spontaneous and dependable, adult and childlike.

Average people of this subtype are defensive and impulsive. They want approval and are afraid of being anxious or alone. They want to be loved and they fall in love easily. But they also fall out of love easily as soon as the romance has worn off. Being in love is a strong sensation, which average people of this subtype enjoy having. They can still be quite funny, but an underlying note of anxiety is closer to the surface. They are gregarious but insecure about what people think of them; impulsive but anxious about their decisions; materialistic yet anxious about money. As their anxieties increase, people of this subtype tend to become increasingly insensitive about others, without being aware of it. They also become self-centered, demanding that others help them through bouts of anxiety. Thus, for better or worse, while the Six-wing softens the Seven's aggressive nature, it also reinforces its anxiety.

Unhealthy people of this subtype tend to be insecure. They want to have the approval and affection of others and will likely experience acute problems with inferiorty and anxiety, traits which are problems for each of the component subtypes. They will turn to other people, tearfully but obnoxiously demanding that others solvetheir problems for them. If this does not work, people of this subtype become hysterical and helpless, alternately thrashing around and lashing out, driving away others and seeking to bring them back to their sides. This subtype is also highly prone to self-destructive behaviors and dramatic, masochistic episodes, such as suicide attempts.

The Seven with an Eight-Wing

The traits of the Seven and those of the Eight-wing produce a personailty combination which is very aggressive, since each component type is aggressive. Persons of this subtype are aggressive in two ways: in the demands they make on the environment and in the strength of their egos to enforce those demands. No one frustrates people of this subtype without hearing about it. Noteworthy examples of this subtype include Joan Collins, Barbra Streisand, Joan Rivers, the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Phyllis Diller, Helen Gurley Brown, Gorge Plimpton, Cary Grant, Noel Coward, Cole Porter, David Niven, Lauren Bacall, Judith Krantz, Jacqueline Susann, and Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Healthy people of this subtype are exuberant and enthusiastic, since they are fundamentally Sevens. The Eight-wing adds elements of self-confidence, will power, and self-assertion to help them overcome obstacles and endure whatever hardships might be in their paths. This subtype has a capacity for leadership. Persons of this subtype who are leaders are known for their quick minds and the brilliance of their personal style. They are typically extremely accomplished, since the Eight-wing's self-confidence enables Sevens to engage in the widest variety of activities, and their strong egos allow them to go after what they want until they succeed at what they have begun.

Average people of this subtype are more practical, worldly, and cosmopolitan than Sevens with a Six-wing. They make their desires known, and pursue them with less regard for the needs, desires, or feelings of others, and sometimes without regard for law or morality. The aggressive note added by the Eight-wing makes people of this subtype more forecful and egocentric in everything they do. They are interested in having a lot of money, and because they are willful, they do what they must to obtain it. They do not tryto avoid conflicts; indeed, the reverse is usually the case: they are stimulated by confrontations because of the excitement which conflictsproduce. In general, this is a harder, more willful, and more selfish subtype. These people care principally about themselves, and are much more materialistic and hedonistic than Sevens with a Six-wing.

Unhealthy people of this subtype mix the manic traits of the Seven with the antisocial, violent traits of the Eight. They can be cmopletely ruthless, particularly if someone has what they want, whether it is a person or a thing. Because unhealthy Sevens fly out of control and unhealthy Eights overestimate their power, unhealthy people of this subtype are extremely reckless and dangerous. They may become physically destructive when they act out, with possibly devastating effects for others.

Excerpts are taken from Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery by Don Richard Riso

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
that sounds like me

·
Registered
11 Posts
When we think of it, we all know that those who are ina position to sample life's sweet diversions are no better off in any fundamental way than those who are not. We know that those who have thrown themselves into lives of self-indulgence are often racked with emptiness, loneliness, self=hatred, nostalgia, and yet are unwilling to change

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Because unhealthy Sevens fly out of control and unhealthy Eights overestimate their power, unhealthy people of this subtype are extremely reckless and dangerous. They may become physically destructive when they act out, with possibly devastating effects for others.

Excerpts are taken from Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery by Don Richard Riso
LOL! I can kind of relate to this because I've been known to lash out when I get mad about something. I can control it, but when I'm really mad you better watch it cuz I don't discriminate. Likewise when I get seriously competitive be careful because you might feel pain. I hit my cousin in the stomach once because I lost a game of tug of war, and felt bad afterwards because he told everybody.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A blessing and curse of the Enneagram is how negative it is. On one hand, it's honest. On the other hand, it's depressing. :bored:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Obviously it's biased. I'm a 7 w8 for sure, but in some tests I got 7 w6, which also kinda describes me here. lol. maybe I'm just a seven with half of both wings or something. if that's even possible. hahaha

·
Registered
194 Posts
Me too although I'm trying to find some down time on this site cos well I can't always be in performer mode. Plus we're in the middle of winter in Australia :happy:
Haha well us entertainers need a break, we can't be on top performer mode all the time ;), oh dear it does get quite cold over there in Ausie, where about in Australia are you?? By the way, I know how you feel, it gets quite chilly here in New Zealand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Haha well us entertainers need a break, we can't be on top performer mode all the time ;), oh dear it does get quite cold over there in Ausie, where about in Australia are you?? By the way, I know how you feel, it gets quite chilly here in New Zealand.
On the outer coast part of Melbourne but we tend to get a lot of the 4 seasons in 1 day thing happening although today was winter at its classic best. As for being the entertainer, I'm learning to be more assertive with it like when I'm not in the mood I'll just be open and honest about it because I was starting to get the feeling I was a performing monkey at times! :bored:

·
Registered
194 Posts
On the outer coast part of Melbourne but we tend to get a lot of the 4 seasons in 1 day thing happening although today was winter at its classic best. As for being the entertainer, I'm learning to be more assertive with it like when I'm not in the mood I'll just be open and honest about it because I was starting to get the feeling I was a performing monkey at times! :bored:
Ah Melbourne such a busy place, yeah I've heard about the 4 seasons a day over there, we get about two right now, rainy, and cloudy, not to much fun. I beginning to believe that I may actually be in England lol.
Open and honest is the best way to be, I still sometimes feel like I need to put on a show for people, even when I can't honestly be bother, I believe it's abit like walking a tightrope , you just have to find the right balance of everything and it should work out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ah Melbourne such a busy place, yeah I've heard about the 4 seasons a day over there, we get about two right now, rainy, and cloudy, not to much fun. I beginning to believe that I may actually be in England lol.
Open and honest is the best way to be, I still sometimes feel like I need to put on a show for people, even when I can't honestly be bother, I believe it's abit like walking a tightrope , you just have to find the right balance of everything and it should work out.
So true :) Sorry to digress, but can I ask what inspired your avatar? It really drew me in :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
So true :) Sorry to digress, but can I ask what inspired your avatar? It really drew me in :p
Well I was on this internet site called stumble upon, and I stumbled upon this picture, and I stared at it for about 5 minutes because it just reminded me of freedom, peace, and tranquility, and it gave me this feeling that made me think that we don't have to be in a cage and if we wanted we could all break free. Funny what a simple picture can do ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I was on this internet site called stumble upon, and I stumbled upon this picture, and I stared at it for about 5 minutes because it just reminded me of freedom, peace, and tranquility, and it gave me this feeling that made me think that we don't have to be in a cage and if we wanted we could all break free. Funny what a simple picture can do ;)
Funny that you have just described my 2013 NY Resolutions. Any clue on how to actualize these goals? - Freedom, Peace, Tranquility? Breaking free from our cage? It almost sounds too good to be true from my perspective. I want to be that woman in your avi... I long to feel like she feels and to express this through nature. I agree, it evokes all them things in me too when I look at it. Plus I'm sort of obsessed with sunsets and my favourite time of the day/night is Twilight, just before the sun sets :)

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I had to double check the climate in Melborne on wikipedia to check what you're saying. you rarely drop below 0. LOL That's not chilly. My Canadian kids have followed their Canadian father outside in shorts in that weather. We get summers that exceed 40 celcius and winters that exceed -40 celcius. Now there's some seasons for you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had to double check the climate in Melborne on wikipedia to check what you're saying. you rarely drop below 0. LOL That's not chilly. My Canadian kids have followed their Canadian father outside in shorts in that weather. We get summers that exceed 40 celcius and winters that exceed -40 celcius. Now there's some seasons for you.
Your right - it's not chilly. 4 seasons in one day means we get a bit of sunshine, a bit of rain, a bit of cloud, a bit of wind, and a bit of all the seasons in one. The weather changes a lot in 1 day in Melbourne to the point where you're constantly needing to remove or put on clothing. Serious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.