Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I always test xNTP. I posted this in the INTP forum already, but I'd like to hear some ENTP responses. I've been wondering if any other ENTPs experience this.

At the risk of sounding somewhat shallow, basically I've come to realize that anything I do ultimately has the goal of external recognition or of other people seeing me as the best. I'm not really concerned with learning something for it's own sake unless I can find a way to directly apply it to my life or a situation (but I can be pretty creative on finding a way for the information to be useful/applicable, which drives me to constantly learn new things).

For the last 4-5 years I've had a desire to start my own business. I've had a few that failed to take off, but over the last 6 months I have built something that has been having some great success. And the money is there, but it's kinda behind the scenes and I always have an urge to "show it off" when I'm doing something well.

Sometimes it makes me think I am an ENTP, but most people that know me and MBTI well are convinced I'm an INTP. (and I'm not an S, definitely full blown Ne and Ti).

I definitely have other drives like wanting to understand how things work and always wanting to see the big picture, but those seem secondary to wanting to make an impact and be recognized.

So I was just wondering if any other ENTPs can relate to this.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the line between INTP/ENTP is kind of ambiguous.. I tested INTP for a long time. I would say (and it lines up with my way of thinking), that your INTP is going to care a lot less about whether or not their systems of ideas have any real application. So it's inferior Fe v. tertiary, your ENTP is going to have a greater control of how to wield their feelings, and that should lead them to care more about the possible after effects of their words and actions. Or as you said, feel a need to have some sort of external purpose.

I also found it hard to differentiate dominant Ne v. Ti. Since I'm fairly quiet unless engaged, I always assumed I was introverted. Then I read a lot about how ENTPs are probably the most introverted extrovert, so I tried to find times when I was engaging Ti, realized that when trying to get an idea across online, I have to consistently write and re-write sentences in order to get my message across. Like instead of having a complete system of ideas already built, I add to it and formulate it while expressing my ideas to other people. Or if no one else is around, I have to sit down and sort of slow my brain down in order to build logical connections between all the possibilities.

That to me is alternating between Ne-Ti, to Ti-Ne. Another possible way to say it is, I like to make things happen, rather than sit and observe things happen.

Anyway, it'd be nice to hear from an INTP :tongue:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts