Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the term and have experienced it many times in our lives.

My question is: What do you do to to confront/solve the analysis-paralysis situation?

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Research. and coffee.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean by that?

Do you mean when we're unable to analyse things in certain situations because we're not equipped with the right knowledge? Or, do you mean when we're at a some sort of mental block?

I guess it could be either, but mostly has to do with stress or paranoia (due to overthinking/analyzing) that comes when we either can't understand something, are unsure of which route to take, or just get that sense of impending failure and that all our plans will not work out or be futile. Not like everyday matters, but more on the lines of major life-altering decisions.

Hopefully that makes sense...

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
This would get me into a heap of trouble:

Before I would start on a problem or an assignment I would game for a while....one of my exes was a gamer so it was cool....but the other....man he would hit the roof! How can you say you are studying when you are gaming he would spit at me...LOL

It clears my head. I never game for hours on end or become obsessive...but I guess that could be a part of the paralysis? The ex would certainly inadvertently want to game more...so I could clear my head...ha

·
Registered
69 Posts
I eventually decide to just go do research, ask around, and if i can't do those things, i try tackling the situation with different approaches...

It's in this way that i fixed a friend's relationship. It was a huge ego boost to me, because althought my friend was doing nothing that could be seen as wrong, it was his actions in reaction to her doing something wrong that caused their relationship to suffer.

I want to laugh with an evil laugh but i seem to have done some good for the world...

·
Registered
11 Posts
All you can do is research the options until you are comfortable with a decision. If you have a hard time deciding, it's probably a coinflip anyways. And I like to remember how little I think about a decision once I make it anyways, at least in the case of buying one thing or another. This helps me just make the decision and move on.

·
Registered
652 Posts
do you have a specific problem or is this just a general question

We all know the term and have experienced it many times in our lives. My question is: What do you do to to confront/solve the analysis-paralysis situation?
i've never heard the term but i do think i have experienced it often, i thought that was just a bit of procrastination...but i guess it is probably overanalysis of the problem that is facing me...what usually helps me overcome my tendency to overanalyse and then not get anywhere it is a deadline, or other crisis of some kind; if its important and the deadline isnt set for you by others or by circumstances, then you have to set your own deadline and decide at the outset that its better to make any decision at all, than risk making the wrong one.

i guess it depends on the situation that you are analysing really...is this about a particular circumstance you are currently paralysed in, or just a general question?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I guess it could be either, but mostly has to do with stress or paranoia (due to overthinking/analyzing) that comes when we either can't understand something, are unsure of which route to take, or just get that sense of impending failure and that all our plans will not work out or be futile. Not like everyday matters, but more on the lines of major life-altering decisions. Hopefully that makes sense...
is it cos you would rather not make a decision which might turn out to be wrong and therefore run the risk of appearing to fail in front of others
is there a particular major life altering decision you are actually struggling with right now?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the responses everyone! :laughing:

is it cos you would rather not make a decision which might turn out to be wrong and therefore run the risk of appearing to fail in front of others
is there a particular major life altering decision you are actually struggling with right now?

So I guess it was more of a general question. I mostly wanted to know how other people handled similar situations and what their solutions were.
I think what I was describing is primarily the anxiety that comes from not wanting to make a mistake and not wanting other people to know that I did.

I'm kind of in a transition period in my life and find myself having to make more decisions for my future as I'm working towards being independent from my parents.
Overall, I just want to be as prepared as I can for my future...:proud:

Thanks for your input!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts