Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's cut to the chase. So, I found these intriguing article -which are broken down into 4 parts- (and also tests) about Analytical & Intuitive thinker. I got the Intuitive thinker, and also it looks like I rely heavily on my intuition (or, oh, whatsoever), since I utilize what those experts call "Intuitive Thinking" to answer the test.

I'm an INTP, and I think the description of the intuitive thinker written on the article quite suits me. But come to think of it, I guess INTP is a combination of both analytical & intuitive thinker, since INTPs do think in an "intuitive thinking"-like manner, but also use their Ti to be analytical and objective.

And now that I answered all of those question with intuitive answers, I begin to doubt my INTP-ness (for the 1679th time :tongue:). Because I think heavy intuitive thinkers are supposed to be ENTP or ENFP, because Ne is their primary function.

But enough of that. If you guys want to help me to figure out my type (every help will be really appreciated), click here

Alrighty, back to the topic; I guess the Analytical Thinker would be ISTJ or INTJ. But, looks like ISTJ suits the description more.

So, how do you think about those types of thinker? Which type suits you the best?

Anyway, here are the links:

The Article & test

Descriptions:
Analytical/Intuitive Thinking

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I thought that the article, the test, and the descriptions were crap. As an ENTP, I got every single analytical answer. Although I thought of the intuitive answer for 1 and 3 immediately, I quickly decided that this wasn't right and the next answer I got (which was still a matter of seconds) was the correct analytical answer. This has nothing to do with anything. It's like saying "if you were wrong, you are this type! If you are right, you are this type!"

Also, analytical vs intuitive seems like a bit of a misnomer when it comes to the descriptions. I don't think intuitive in the thinker description matches with the intuitive in the MBTI description.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Both because my first answer is intuitive and then I realise that it doesn't make sense. Took me time to get the last one though, I've never been good at mathematical problems though, when I told the right answer to my father he figured it out and it's true that it makes sense, you really have to read properly rather than wanting to answer quickly.

Reactions: ninjahitsawall

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I thought that the article, the test, and the descriptions were crap. As an ENTP, I got every single analytical answer. Although I thought of the intuitive answer for 1 and 3 immediately, I quickly decided that this wasn't right and the next answer I got (which was still a matter of seconds) was the correct analytical answer. This has nothing to do with anything. It's like saying "if you were wrong, you are this type! If you are right, you are this type!"

Also, analytical vs intuitive seems like a bit of a misnomer when it comes to the descriptions. I don't think intuitive in the thinker description matches with the intuitive in the MBTI description.
I agree. Not to mention the fact that the analytical answers for numbers 2 and 3 were more "obvious" than the "intuitive answers."

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
The tested dichotomy seems more like sufficiently mathematically educated thinker vs. marginally mathematically educated thinker to me. The intuitive answers are probably only intuitive to people who've learned math up to beginning algebra or so—most people who don't know more than arithmetic and fractions would probably have no idea how to even approach the questions.

And the investment questions need more context; otherwise answers are subject to class bias. I chose the "safe" option on both the $100 vs. $300 questions because I'm so poor.

Reactions: PiT

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
fast and slow thinking:

everyone does both

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The tested dichotomy seems more like sufficiently mathematically educated thinker vs. marginally mathematically educated thinker to me. The intuitive answers are probably only intuitive to people who've learned math up to beginning algebra or so—most people who don't know more than arithmetic and fractions would probably have no idea how to even approach the questions.

And the investment questions need more context; otherwise answers are subject to class bias. I chose the "safe" option on both the $100 vs. $300 questions because I'm so poor.
I guess these questions were selected because they trip people up easily, but it is true that you shouldn't be getting these wrong if you actually have a decent grasp of mathematics, whether you are an intuitive or analytical thinker. I do think I am an analytical thinker, but I don't think that getting all of those questions right proves anything.

·
Banned
21,040 Posts

the math involved is grade 5 level so everyone can do the simple arithmetic

what's tested is whether you jump to a conclusion or stop and think about the answer

the test could be devised without math using word puzzles and most people would probably still get the same results, viz, some are lazy thinkers, some are not so lazy

·
Registered
598 Posts
the math involved is grade 5 level so everyone can do the simple arithmetic
Mmm idk. It's pretty famously known that mathematicians (pure) aren't good at arithmetic or completely dislike doing it.

Reactions: ninjahitsawall

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I did this several years ago, I got all the "analytical" answers. It's pretty obvious though that they're trick questions going into it, because of the content of the article. So I don't know if someone just came up and asked me one of these, if I'd have put as much thought into it.

In a true "psychology test", this would be done in a way that you don't know beforehand what's being asked of you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts