Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible that I could be a suppressed ENFJ? When I was young, I was very outgoing and social and extroverted, until I was about 10 years old? Even now, in interpersonal relationships, I tend to be very ENFJish. I was at a party for work last night that I was absolutely dreading. I thought I would end up sitting in a corner or being a wallflower, standing awkwardly. But I fared well. I mean, I was definitely quite and more of a listener, but I definitely was more of a butterfly.

I went around to different groups of people, and it felt completely natural for me to introduce myself to a group of strangers, or even join a group where I just met someone. I am not much of a talker, but it felt strangely natural for me to be with a crowd of people I barely knew, and it felt very natural to be in a group of people, conversing and making small talk, just enjoying the atmosphere, and soaking up the good energy. Because I am quiet, I sensed some introverts "target"ing me lol. They would try to get into a really deep conversation, just the two of us, away from the crowd, and strangely I was turned off by this. Before going to the party, I thought I would end up finding a like-minded introvert and just stand in the sidelines, having a deep conversation with someone. But once I got there, I felt really comfortable and preferred the small talk with groups of new people, learning about different/new things about people, rather than being trapped in one conversation for more than ten minutes. I was still polite and related to the people that "targeted" me, so I would hold the conversation with them in an engaging way, and people would usually end up joining me, and the circle would get bigger, and then around that time, I'd excuse myself to get some more appetizers and join a new group on the way to the appetizers. It was really WEIRD how this came naturally for me, without me having to even think about it. Usually, with social things, I have to think and plan my actions, but with this crowd of people, everything came so naturally. Occasionally, I saw a person or two standing awkwardly on their own. I felt bad for them, so I would try to casually make my way to them to get them included in a group but if they found a group before I got to them, I felt a sense of relief for them.

So this is what made me think... I might be a suppressed ENFJ, due to some things that happened when I was younger. By the way, I didn't even have any alcohol to drink! They actually had a variety of fruit juices and cider... lol... so I just had those non-alcoholic beverages and snacks. There was also no music and craziness like a "college" party. It was for work, so it was mainly older students like myself, people from work, and guests. Before going, I told myself I was going to only stay for an hour as my back-up plan, but I ended up staying for almost the whole thing and I really didn't want to come home. It was weird. So could it be that I'm a suppressed ENFJ? What do you guys think? Feel free to analyze me. And btw, your advice on my other thread definitely helped prepped me to relax and have fun, so maybe it was a combination of everything? Everything still seems so strange to me, looking back on last night how natural I felt with a group of people

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another thing. I thought i would come back exhausted and drained and ready to crawl back into a hole for the next few days, but i felt extremely energized as if I drew a lot of energy from hanging out with people. I'm still feeling energized! and I'm looking forward to the next one!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I think you just want to be an ISTJ :happy:

But seriously, hard to tell by the things you say. I would think the only way to truely know is for you to judge how you feel about hanging out/being alone. You don't have to be 100% introvert or 100% extrovert. You can be an ambivert or have a split that's something like 60/40 or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts