Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,

This would be my first thread in months. My previous threads would be quite long ago. But the thing I wanted to discuss today is called Highly Sensitive Person. I want to discuss this because I (and my peers) have diagnosed that I have HSP. As I wonder around on Personality Cafe to gain more insight in ISTP-ism (Hah), I couldn't stop but wonder if the two could be connected with each-other. With knowledge of the fact that I'm both HSP and ISTP, I learned a lot about myself in a relatively short time-span.

Therefore it would only be natural to share this knowledge about being an HSP, and see if there are others like me who have considered or heard of HSP in combination with ISTP. Now, for those of you who have never heard the term HSP:

A highly sensitive person (HSP) is a person having the innate trait of high sensory processing sensitivity (or innate sensitiveness as Carl Jung originally coined it). According to Elaine N. Aron and colleagues as well as other researchers, highly sensitive people, who comprise about a fifth of the population (equal numbers in men and women), may process sensory data much more deeply and thoroughly due to a biological difference in their nervous systems. This is a specific trait, with key consequences for how we view people, that in the past has often been confused with innate shyness, social anxiety problems, inhibitedness, social phobia and innate fearfulness, and introversion. The trait is measured using the HSP Scale, which has been demonstrated to have both internal and external validity. Although the term is primarily used to describe humans, something similar to the trait is present in over 100 other species.
Personally, I noticed that I was more sensitive than others. I usually pick up more information than others, even when insignificant. Constantly, I see people doing things that could be done more efficiently. I instant go over to them to tell them that, and they're usually annoyed by it. And the troubleshooting is a fundamental thing for ISTP's, hence why I wonder about a possible combination. I have more examples. But for now, I want to hear your opinion!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting. Do you just mean you notice more or do you also mean that you are generally more sensitive to what people say and do? i.e. Get upset easier or see/infer things that aren't there.

I'm a bit of the latter actually, so oddly enough, I'm not the robot that ISTPs seem to be. But I put this down to the fact that some part of me just wants acceptance, but acceptance of who I am, however I am. Ok, going off tangent.

Though I have also been told that I notice more than others. And yes, I often find myself suggesting to people how to do something better or faster or more efficiently, mostly because I spotted something they did not. And I always wonder how they could have missed it in the first place.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
...others like me who have considered or heard of HSP...
I've heard of it, and considered it. I dismissed it, because it seemed like just another way for introverts to justify their existence. If they understood introversion in the context of personality types, I don't think they'd need any extra labels.

I'm probably HSP because I have exceedingly adverse reactions to certain stimuli, which I go out of my way to avoid. But even if I do qualify, I don't see any advantage to it. Getting other people to see me as "special" is not something that ever crosses my mind.

Of course if you can enlighten me as to what I'm missing here, please go ahead. :)

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
There are a lot of things that typology type doesn't correlate with, or rather theres just no connection between it, and various other traits outside of typology, because we are looking at different things. In HSP the sensitivity isn't something explained by any of the functions; it seems to be physiological in origin.

In most cases, parents notice their child’s hypersensitivity from birth, so the root cause is probably physiological: highly reactive neural, hormonal, immune, and/or cardiovascular systems.
According to Elaine N. Aron and colleagues as well as other researchers, highly sensitive people, which would represent about a fifth of the population, process sensory data much more deeply and thoroughly due to a biological difference in their nervous systems. This is a specific trait with key consequences that in the past has often been confused with innate shyness, inhibitedness, innate fearfulness, introversion, and so on. The existence of the trait of innate sensitivity was demonstrated using a test that was shown to have both internal and external validity.
Could an istp be a hsp? Any type could; though I'd think HSP will seem introverted. Though even if one has an 'extroverted' leading function, we're talking about different types of introversion technically. Some Te, Se, Fe, Ne doms can seem much more subdued and quiet than other 'extroverts.' And getting slightly off topic, there are lots of Se Ti types who will test istp and relate more to the classic idea of introversion because they just aren't very extroverted extroverts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts