Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a majority of INFJ gets all worked up when it comes to japanese culture and way of life -or is it just me?
Once again I apologize as I do not speak perfect English -please feel free to correct my mistakes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was wondering if a majority of INFJ gets all worked up when it comes to japanese culture and way of life -or is it just me?
Once again I apologize as I do not speak perfect English -please feel free to correct my mistakes.
I find Japanese culture quite interesting.. I may have an opportunity to live in Tokyo for a couple years.. should that happen.. I'll be one happy guy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be there this summer and I really look forward to it. Somehow I feel it has something to do with our personality type, but I can't pinpoint the exact reason^^

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I also find Japanese culture somewhat interesting. I don't know, maybe I have an idealized image of what Japan is that makes me that way. When I see the cherry-blossoms, read about the samurais and of how the people communicate with each other, I get a feeling that I would fit-in really well.

I'm afraid that once I go there that my image of it might crumble however. But, there's only one way to find out haha

What about you Marine(or anyone else), what do you find interesting about Japan?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, japanese people are raised to become undemonstrative persons for it's indecorous to show one's feelings. I guess the result is a lack of affection. That's probably the reason why they don't really want to grow and enjoy childish games -and so do I. That's what I find really touching about them :laughing:
Every time I see japanese tourists I refrain from hugging and comforting them^^-there are laws against sexual harassment you know...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I dream of someday going out east, mostly going to Japan. If I were to go back to school now, it'd be for a teaching degree so I can be an English teacher out east. :p

I therefore jokingly refer to myself as a "Japanophile".

Reactions: Marine

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I love how epic and populated tokyo is. all those buildings and curvy freeways and lights. I bet it is really beautiful, plus the whole place is surrounded by water, feels so much like me I can't even comprehend.

I love city lights. I think they are some of the coolest things ever invented by mankind and I would love to see tokyo just a lit on the sea.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm also drawn to the place.. So many things to list. I love the use of language, the customs and etiquette. I wish we got to use those where I live (or Victorian manners) because it seems so much easier and cleaned up. There are lots of different kinds of people here, so there's almost too much of a mish-mash of different values and it gets chaotic at times. Lack of respect from one person but to them it's all they know...

I also like the Japanese sense of beauty and hard work. Whenever I watch Japanese films or shows about Japan, it's always beautiful to watch. The architecture, the gardens, everybody pays a lot of attention. And there's also a philosophical side to it, and many different takes depending on the person. It's all part of their history. Not to mention all the many varied subcultures, underground groups in the modern day: lolita, decora, mori, and the old ganguro XD For the same reason I am also drawn to Italy and France :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess every INFJ is an aesthete :proud:
I also feel comfortable around mannered people^^

·
Registered
303 Posts
I love Japan! I took my first Japanese class 17 years ago...I'm <ahem> still.. learning. :crazy: I have a well known obsession with Japan & India amongst my friends and family. In regards to Japan, I like how they make such efficient use of space in their living & work environment. Everything has a place & is neatly tucked away. Also, when working with our Japan branch at work...they are soooo efficient, organized, & runs smooth like butter. It's like a freaking dream to have things run so well with minimal effort.

However, I'm not particularly fond of the lack of affection, lack of individuality (less than here...not that it's non-existent), the 'never question authority' thing they have going on, etc. Kind of the, "I LOVE structure, but don't tell me what I *have* to do" conundrum INFJs can toss themselves around in.

I never thought to inquire whether type was related or not. Interesting.

Reactions: Marine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess you misunderstood what I wrote- my bad: it's hard for me to express myself in English:confused:.
It's because they lack affection that japanese people have such an adorable personality^^ They do not lack individuality: they know how to work but also how to have fun, as a reaction against social pressures:happy:

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I also find Japanese culture somewhat interesting. I don't know, maybe I have an idealized image of what Japan is that makes me that way. When I see the cherry-blossoms, read about the samurais and of how the people communicate with each other, I get a feeling that I would fit-in really well.

I'm afraid that once I go there that my image of it might crumble however. But, there's only one way to find out haha

What about you Marine(or anyone else), what do you find interesting about Japan?
Yes. I was big into anime when I was a teen, and I still enjoy Japanese cinema and parts of the culture. But I think much of what makes Japan so unique is being tempered by the desire to emulate the economic success of the States.

I'd love to visit the country one day, but I'm afraid that aside from the language barrier, there won't be much difference between there and here (the USA).

Reactions: Alaya and Marine

·
Registered
180 Posts
I feel like a black sheep.. I've never really gotten into Japanese culture. I think their customs are interesting and I love how they have lots of subways. I know a bit about their culture, but I'm sort of hesitant on exploring further. There are some really twisted things in Japan, as well as some really wonderful things.

I guess I'm sort of apathetic. I'm more interested in British culture. Not much into Asian cultures as much.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I guess you misunderstood what I wrote- my bad: it's hard for me to express myself in English:confused:.
It's because they lack affection that japanese people have such an adorable personality^^ They do not lack individuality: they know how to work but also how to have fun, as a reaction against social pressures:happy:
My comments weren't actually in reference to what you wrote. :happy: It was based on my personal understanding of their culture. Although, most of the literature regarding their culture I get wrapped up in and research is the older culture and not modern Japan. So to clarify, I'm completely fascinated with old Japan and not necessarily modern day Japan. Once Japan opened their borders to outsiders around the 1850s, I become uninterested in their history/culture for the most part.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I agree that most INFJs get absorbed in aesthetics as do the Japanese.

As you can tell I enjoy anime, I've watched a few videos and at times I'm somewhat jealous of how things are run over there. They are much more civil and sensible than more western cultures which I find admirable. They have a good public transport system there but as a result makes getting a car a huge hassle. Their food is quite nice and healthy as a result they have much less problems with obesity. Also they have a very low crime rate so you can get away with leaving your bike unchained or door unlocked.

Though the whole "big shame" thing they have going on is a bit iffy, they encourage intelligence yet slander the whole Otaku culture even worse than America does (to nerds). Also it's no surprise on how perverted they can be at times but I personally find it humorous. They're one of the few nations were Introverts seem to be the Majority.

I find European History (Excluding Christianity) more interesting however BUT I do enjoy their interpretations. Vinland Saga is a good manga on the Viking period. Samurai and Ninjas are bad ass there's no denying that but it seems rather stagnant and they have nothing like the Eddas.

I think more people should take a page out of their books, we can learn a bit from them. I don't think I'd live there but I'd love to visit one day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to Asia people! As someone living in Asia but who is exposed to alot of Western influences I think alot of people in the West have a romanticized idea of what Asia is. I've been to Japan a couple of times and have quite a number of Japanese friends. I'll give that Japanese culture is certainly curious if one is not attuned to the general East Asian/Confucian way of life. But if you grew up in that way of life then Japanese culture may not seem so alien.

Asians are generally more reserved people, simply because we believe in knowing about others first before letting others know us too much. Sun Tzu call it knowing your enemies in his Art of War. The Japanese call it 'Tatemae and Honne', or the two faces, where they show a stranger their Tatemae, which is like a facade, and only their loved ones their Honne, which is their true feelings. Sounds like two-faced Janus no? But it's more like what one shows in public vs what one shows at home or with closer friends. There is also a Japanese saying called 'Kuuki Yome', meaning one has to 'read the air' to assess a situation. Foreigners in Japan almost always commit that faux pas of not being able to read the air, including me. :confused:

I always believe that the reason why Japanese culture is so interesting to the rest of the world is because the Japanese are masters at preserving the traditions of old, yet incorporating Western influences without compromising their old customs. Unlike the rest of the East Asian countries, the Japanese simply do not just copy from the west, but they take it and make it unique, and often better, in their own kind of way.

There are certainly many other aspects of Japanese culture that fascinates yet frustrates me (like having to be always 5 mins late for an appointment/party/meeting etc). By just eating sushi, watching Anime or reading Manga will just cause one to have a very skewed idea of Japan. The best way to understand any complex society, especially one like Japan, is simply to visit the country for some time, keep one's mouth shut (sorry Americans but sometimes you are just too loud and it's very apparent in alot of countries, especially East Asian ones...) and observe how the people in the society behaves.

Hope I don't piss off too many people here. Just my two cents' worth.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
. By just eating sushi, watching Anime or reading Manga will just cause one to have a very skewed idea of Japan.
That made me LOL. You're absolutely right, we have so limited information about your culture that we are somewhat clueless of what it's about until we experience it.

However, we're not the loud, typical disrespectful Americans that you're talking about here, you're talking to INFJ's. We are masters of understanding other cultures, that's why we're interested in yours. We're not so close-minded to take our simplistic world-view of how other countries should be like, we are genuinely interested in getting to know more about the world.

Thomas Paine couldn't have said it better: "The world is my country, and my religion is to do good."
:happy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
That made me LOL. You're absolutely right, we have so limited information about your culture that we are somewhat clueless of what it's about until we experience it.

However, we're not the loud, typical disrespectful Americans that you're talking about here, you're talking to INFJ's. We are masters of understanding other cultures, that's why we're interested in yours. We're not so close-minded to take our simplistic world-view of how other countries should be like, we are genuinely interested in getting to know more about the world.
lol you're right...how I wished there were more INFJ Americans...didn't exactly met many of those when I was in the States. I got one too many "Oooh, you're Asian...do you eat lots of Tofu there?" from ignorant Americans. It's funny...if I don't know anything, I'll often keep my mouth shut at the risk of highlighting it for everyone to see. The few Americans whom I've met and respected have travelled or lived in other parts of the world.

sorry for digressing from the topic. for those who might be interested in getting a slightly less skewed idea of Japan, I find reading about the issues that concerns the Japanese in The Japan Times online news site useful. Beats the lonely planet guide anytime. :happy:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I lived in okinawa for almost four years and though Japanese mainlanders don't necessarily consider okinawans Japanese I learned a bit about japanese culture. I think part of the fascination is that traditional Japanese culture is very idealistic and community focused. There's a lot of sentiment and tradition and even if Japanese people aren't openly emotional I think emotions run deep in their ideas and personal motivations. Just watch anime and notice how passionate and flawed the hero usually is. They are far from robots. They just think very differently from people of a western individualistic culture.

I think infj's might just be attracted to some of the perfectionist/idealist parts of their culture and the sentiment and value placed on tradition. That's my suspicion anyways.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I lived in okinawa for almost four years and though Japanese mainlanders don't necessarily consider okinawans Japanese I learned a bit about japanese culture. I think part of the fascination is that traditional Japanese culture is very idealistic and community focused. There's a lot of sentiment and tradition and even if Japanese people aren't openly emotional I think emotions run deep in their ideas and personal motivations. Just watch anime and notice how passionate and flawed the hero usually is. They are far from robots. They just think very differently from people of a western individualistic culture.

I think infj's might just be attracted to some of the perfectionist/idealist parts of their culture and the sentiment and value placed on tradition. That's my suspicion anyways.
Partly true, at least with me.

The "Weeaboo" stuff is irritating though.

Also I've found a lot out from this guys videos which are worth checking out: YouTube - TheJapanChannelDcom's Channel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts