Personality Cafe banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yup yup. Russia too. My best friend is ENFP, moved to SoCal from Moscow at the age of thirteen when her mother who'd been working in the US sent for her. She and I have a lot in common in a way... She joked, "The Japanese love Russian cartoons because they have the same 'Japanese Sadness.'"

I totally get what she meant by 'Japanese Sadness.' It's something I tend to go for and find done best in manga.

Examples: most of Osamu Tezuka's work, Kino's Journey, some of Naoki Urasawa's stuff... And for something more trippy, try Satoshi Kon (directed "Paprika," "Tokyo Godfathers," "Millennium Actress"...).

Paprika opening:

One quote by Mishima (who I sorta think was INFJ) that's stuck with me, something I read in a posthumous biography:

"The visitor will be able to choose just those Rivers that interest him and avoid being swept away into a River that he dislikes. I shall be grateful to those who follow all four Rivers of my life but I cannot believe there will be many such visitors."

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Welcome to Asia people!
THANK YOU. I get sick of people idealizing Japan. Its not any different than China. And when you really start thinking about it, you could find a lot of the same cool stuff as other places that are Asian, too. Being an Asian, overall, I can say there's nothing special about it - in fact, it'll probably be better for your ideals if you never go to Japan or China.

There is also a Japanese saying called 'Kuuki Yome', meaning one has to 'read the air' to assess a situation. Foreigners in Japan almost always commit that faux pas of not being able to read the air, including me. :confused:
Its a spiritual thing. When they say read the air, it also connects to the spiritual qi that binds us; in Chinese, qi = air, but qi also = internal energy force spirit thingy (does not translate).

Finally, I'd like to point out that across the water, there's 5 japan's worth of Asia in China and elsewhere on the mainland, if all you want are the 'shiny cities' with food you find tasty, a language you don't understand, and the same meritocratic background. Its the early philosophers that made all of Asia, and the Chinese influence spread through the region like wildfire...due to various wars.

Heck, let me slap the manga/anime upside the head. A lot of ideas come from *Chinese* mythology and legend. Just because they added big robots or stuff doesn't change that. *points at DBZ*. That's not 'Son Goku'. That's Sun Wukong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . And Inuyasha borrows heavily from the story as well to set up the demon-priestess thing. And Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a novel based on the same time period as the Records of the TK (which is actually historically correct), has been *heavily* used; resulting in an anime, a gundam-type anime, and countless videogames (dynasty warriors & ROTK series & others)

-Shanghai, Hong Kong, Macau, Beijing, Nanjing, Shenzhen, Bangkok, Tianjin, Wuhan, Guangzhou.....

Ok, I'm just sick of super-fans-of-japan. Be a super-fan of asia or nothing. =d

21 - 22 of 22 Posts