Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it would be interesting to see if INTJ's have a tendency toward optimism or pessimism.

I myself tend to the negative before the positive. What about you guys?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Just thought it would be interesting to see if INTJ's have a tendency toward optimism or pessimism.

I myself tend to the negative before the positive. What about you guys?
I'm always possitive. You can't achieve nothing without optimism. But it's always with realism. Therefore I prefer to say I'm a realist. The idiotic "everything is beautiful" kind of optimism is not for me. That's just stupidity as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Always reality first, and then I make a conscious effort to frame in the positive. Positive framing being the only place where improvement can flow from and the enjoyment of problem-solving from optimism always trumps the self-pity of pessimism (I haven't yet mastered the whole enjoyment of cynicism from pessimism thing).

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
realistic. it usually entails being more of a pessimist.
You must be a pessimist then. Because from my optimist point of view, realistic people tend to be more positive. They tend to focus on what's possible and not on everything that could go wrong.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying to ignore the negative scenarios, just not to focus on them because there is a saying that is much more true than many people believe: "What you (want to) see, is what you get."

·
Registered
153 Posts
You must be a pessimist then. Because from my optimist point of view, realistic people tend to be more positive. They tend to focus on what's possible and not on everything that could go wrong.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying to ignore the negative scenarios, just not to focus on them because there is a saying that is much more true than many people believe: "What you (want to) see, is what you get."
no. if i wasn't a realist, i wouldn't have referred to myself a realist. i always consider various outcomes, i merely hound in on the negative. i do not expect much, get my hopes up or concoct grand illusions.. so i consider myself more negative. i also do not recall the last time something positive truly happened without an unwanted event following its trail. lovely negatives, they are~ this does not mean i do not consider the positives as well and it makes me no less a realistic person. i'm sure my situations differ than all of your realistic, positive folk anyway. besides, if positive people were more "realistic", depressive realism would have never been thought up!

i appreciate the insight, nonetheless.

i personally prefer this quote: “the pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I am generally an optimistic, happy, and content person. But I do have a tendency to take people down a peg with "a dose of reality" or playing devil's advocate. I don't like when people use meaningless clichés or aphorisms, and I can usually ignore it, but I have no trouble giving a negative-sounding piece of my mind when I feel warranted. Many people think of me as dark or pessimistic, and I don't blame them, but they don't know fuck-all about me.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
no. if i wasn't a realist, i wouldn't have referred to myself a realist. i always consider various outcomes, i merely hound in on the negative. i do not expect much, get my hopes up or concoct grand illusions.. so i consider myself more negative. i also do not recall the last time something positive truly happened without an unwanted event following its trail. lovely negatives, they are~ this does not mean i do not consider the positives as well and it makes me no less a realistic person. i'm sure my situations differ than all of your realistic, positive folk anyway. besides, if positive people were more "realistic", depressive realism would have never been thought up!

i appreciate the insight, nonetheless.

i personally prefer this quote: “the pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
I would like to add to that: "The optimistic realists knows where/when the good winds are."

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm the kind of person who asks for the bad news first and the good news later.

I take in the bad scenarios, then take in the good scenarios, making myself look on the brighter side.

It often goes like this:
r, s, t, w, x, and y suck, but hey, z is pretty neat!
(yes, there tends to be more bad than good in most situations...)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well...

Pessimistic and then optimistic. Let me see the roadblocks and challenges first, then I'll focus on what nuggets of yumminess there are as a later thought. This has seemed to be better than the flip where I'd look at the bright side and realize that I can be overly optimistic. For example, do I really want to believe that things can't go bad or do I want to prepare and if things don't get as bad as I thought, I could be happy for a moment.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I tend to be optimistic/realistic. But people think I'm negative because I always point out the bad things. Because I think it's a handy, useful, positive thing to do.... I also seek out problems - but it is because I want to solve them. I am not energised or inspired by a positive feeling, however the fuck that works, but by something to do. And to me, something to do generally means something to fix. I usually expect to fix it though, not to fail, which I suppose is optimistic, even as I see problems everywhere. Then again, it is also realistic, since I tend to succeed at what I do, and pick and choose strategic problems.... The world in general I admit is a shithole, sure, in many ways. But the capacity to improve it exists if people get off their damn asses and do something, which many people are doing.

I am not optimistic in the sense that I think things magically will get better on their own. I am not optimistic about things outside my control, really. But I trust in my own capabilities and I focus on what I am doing, which mostly means I am optimistic/realistic - though many people would laugh to hear it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to add to that: "The optimistic realists knows where/when the good winds are."
One could argue that the pessimist knows about potential bad winds and how to avoid them.

Great replies everyone, thanks.

Reactions: Keno

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
People who do not know me and assume to know me, would call me negative. People who know me and don't assume, would call me optimistic and realistic, so there you have it. I hate when people say, "You're so negative," I usually reply with, "Hey, I'm just being real/honest..." That never seems to go well, but tough shit. There are two kinds of pessimism to me, the complaining kind, which I cannot stand and the realistic kind, which I prefer.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
i prefer a challenge. you know, with my bad winds.
world is negative. i accept the world.
Yes, a lot of people are like that. They see a problem, throw all their energy on it and waste a huge amount of time and resources on it. That's caused by the focus on the negative. It really is true that you get a lot of what you focus on.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
One could argue that the pessimist knows about potential bad winds and how to avoid them.
Yes, this idea is what I always have to fight. I'm always for preventing problems. I just learned the hard way that people that focus on the potential bad things always end up saying: "See, if we wouldn't have prepared, we would have been fucked now."

Pessimist prepare for bad things, and thus they will happen.

Optimists prepare for good things, and thus they will happen.

This is really true. The problem is that "people don't change" and if you allow pessimists to do what they wanna do, you´re fucked. You´re much better of with an optimist because they also do see the bad, but they don't prepare for it, they avoid it.

I literally see people sometimes walk into a trap, not because they didn't see it, but because they prepared for it.

Preparing for the bad can be dangerous even because once you think you prepared, you´re not afraid of it anymore and thus run the risk you´re blind to it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts