Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to notice that "and stuff" is a common phrase among the INFPs I know. Maybe this is frivolous, but how many of you say this? What other speech-isms do you use? XD

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think, in theory, we potentially use a great amount of "speechisms"... Possibly... Maybe. (Please note the purposeful redundancy.)

·
Registered
749 Posts
I dunno, like, I mean,

Just kidding.

That kind of stuff, and stuff, would probably piss me off and make me think you to be a moron, which would be a tragedy because I'm sure that's not true :proud:

PS Please post this in the INTJ thread. I wanna see some blood :crazy:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I use it on purpose to make what I'm saying less direct and thought out. Like, "Well, you could always place the ruler at a 90 degree angle instead of a 180 degree angle so it would be easier to read or something.".

I think if I didn't people would be a bit weirded out by my accurate speech and such.

P.S.- I usually have more information to tell, but that would be going a bit overboard in most peoples eyes' so I cut it off and add or something or and such to leave options open while still giving a suggestion.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I don't think they do this much.... it may even be more of an F thing. Even ST's do it.... NT's seem to not do it as much though..... like sarcastically implied above.... it's redundant and a bit useless... at least when communicating T like information.

I think we use it because we don't really care about the details or the information at hand. It's more like a way of making someone feel comfortable if you aren't sure if what you just said made them uncomfortable. Sometimes "and stuff" can be a sort of joke as well. " and stuff" can also imply that there is more going on than what you are saying but your mind is elsewhere and you don't really care to relay the information. It also can show that you are being somewhat submissive to what the person wants to talk about. It may underneath say something like " yea I'm talking .... but I know it's not very important..... and I realize you want to talk about something else..... so go ahead if you feel like it".

Although sometimes it really does have absolutely no purpose.... this usually is when it becomes a habit.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't know about INFPs and other INTPs, but I say "and so forth" a lot of times.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I don't know about INFPs and other INTPs, but I say "and so forth" a lot of times.
yea that sounds more sophisticated than "and stuff". Nice choice xD. I think I say etc. a lot. I don't think that really counts though.... and stuff.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
According to George Carlin, we consider our things as stuff and other people's stuff as shit, but when we like their shit, we will say, "that some good shit" or "check out that stuff."

Is that the kind of stuff you are talking about or are you speaking about other shit?

·
Registered
242 Posts
As pointed out, speech-isms are a powerful tool to smooth-out a conversation. Being creative in our wording is also very useful to add a refreshing or spicy tone to our conversations, especially because it allows us to further drive the Ti + Ne home by endearing people to figure out what we are saying, even though in principle it might seem straightforward and/or eccentric.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I won't explain the basics of the concepts that lead me to the conclusion I draw to someone who is not interested or would possibly be unwilling to change their ideas = "...whatever"

I personally like geezus. I crash my car = geezus. I walk into a room and everyone is passed out = geezus. I also like to emulate the Beverly Hillbillies sometimes. 'Well, I reckon you outta.'

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
A few of my INTP friends have picked up on the usage of DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH .....including my entj friend. But it's funny... cause you know they think things of that nature... but the fact that it's exaggerated makes it hilarious.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I admit i say like a lotttt
i use the pause in speech as a time to reanalyze and think about whats about to come out of my mouth
i also use it if i have an abstract idea in mind and i'm trying to relate it to someone in words i wave my hands a lot and say like

·
Registered
472 Posts
I say "and stuff" sometimes when I'm really tired and can't be bothered to say "and such" (which at this point I still have to consciously think about first), but usually I'll say that, "perhaps", or "or something".

·
Registered
153 Posts
another thing i tend to say a lot to avoid offending people with my confident assertions when i'm arguing is "I feel as though" or "the way i see it is" when we are debating something that cannot be objectively decided.

when someone presents me with a problem i say "interesting" as i think of the possible solutions/possibilities related to that problem.

also when extrapolating possibilities of a proposed action that someone presents i often use "but if ..." or "but then..."

Reactions: Fiddler

·
Registered
224 Posts
I use "I dunno" and "Wutevs" ironically. I don't know if the people I say it to realize I'm doing it ironically. I think this adds to the amusement factor. I really should stop making fun of people without them realizing it. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts