Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read a book of Jungian archetype psychology, He: Understanding Masculine Psychology. Amazon.com: He: Understanding Masculine Psychology (Perennial Library)… It was about man's quest for the "Holy Grail" and his relationship with his anima or inner woman. There were a couple of ideas that stood out to me. It said that if a man is to find the Grail he must never seduce nor be seduced by woman. What is meant by this is that a man should not succumb to his moods, positive or negative. But this idea of avoiding seduction with women has been falsely interpreted literally throughout history. According to this psychology, much of the historical hatred of women as well as men's problems with women can be attributed to man's problems with his own anima. The anima appears ugly and challenges him, and he is more than happy to project it onto the woman in his life. When a man's shadowy anima clashes with a woman's shadowy animus, things get ugly. I have found it to be true in my own relationship. He gets seduced by his bad moods and it makes me angry and combative.

Some men are easily in tune with their anima. The book said that for some men (introverted/feeler men), their path is different from most and that is perfectly legitimate. I think that the anima represents the Feeling function and the animus represents the Thinking function. As a T female, I identify with both the female gender and the animus. One thing that was confusing to me, it said that women are always in a mood and that is normal and natural. But I wish I could better follow the advice in the book of not getting seduced by my moods! It must refer to the feeling Achilles heel of the T and the superior feeling ability of the F. I have trouble understanding. But I would like to read the She and We books by the same author too; maybe that would help clarify it.

I would like to know other people's thoughts on the anima and animus.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
In man's dreams, says Jung, anima is most often represented by water and night. So if any guy here dreamed something unusual which involved water, night, moon that is it :tongue:. I had many dreams like that. Culmination being when I was floating on water, in the swamp and had to choose where to swim: towards an old man in white robes or a black woman with blue eyes. I chose the woman and woke up. From today's perspective I think that was the moment I started changing type and after 2 months or so turned from ESTJ to INFP. :crazy:

There were a couple of ideas that stood out to me. It said that if a man is to find the Grail he must never seduce nor be seduced by woman. What is meant by this is that a man should not succumb to his moods, positive or negative.

Hehe Buddhism influenced Jung greatly. Although unlike in buddhism he used pretty potent imagery to explain and get in touch with the rawness of the unconscious.

I think that the anima represents the Feeling function and the animus represents the Thinking function.

I think they actually stand for the whole of the uncouscious/conscious. Anima stands for male unconscious and animus for female unconscious. He does say that what he terms female/male are qualities " usually dominant" in the sexes but not exclusive. I see that whole theory as Jung's own way to self-discovery, which can be completely different for any given individual.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Hehe Buddhism influenced Jung greatly.
[citation needed] :tongue:

In the Daoist sense, one's base energies are the first that must be overcome if one seeks spiritual awakening (or Jung's individuation). If you want more than a snowball's chance in hell, you first need to become comfortable with sexual impulse. If you can psychologically situate yourself in such a way that is both aware yet unswayed by sexual energy, you can begin to cultivate chi. What is chi you ask? Overcome your sexual fascinations and this will become extremely evident. Call it "psycho-physical awareness" that is aware of all of the minute sensations of the body and mind. The mind-body is capable of a lot more in this state. But, as Jung was on to, this can only be achieved if our sexual compulsions can be more successfully recognized and incorporated.

Reactions: Nitou and Bote

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
[citation needed] :tongue:

In his book "Psychological types" Jung always adds citations from eastern philosophies and a short breakdown of the teachings to show how it relates to his theory. I also read about his fascination with Buddhism from his correspondence with Freud. Too lazy to translate the passages into English atm. :tongue:

·
Banned
24 Posts
i think it should be remembered that this is theory with no evidence. your experience is easily attributed to the forer effect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts