Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember niss63's comment on a post from a while back saying that he loves his dog and people wonder how he can be so affectionate to his dog but not affectionate in the same way to friends, or something like that... And I had a funny moment last night at a party... the ISTJ guy I like walked past this friend's dog and I thought "He's an ISTJ, I bet he strokes the dog..", and sure enough he stroked the dog really affectionately and spoke to it, and I thought "LOL, I know you better than you think" and smiled at him delightedly. He looked pleased and smiled back. Was funny. Are you all like that with dogs? lol.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I love animals. I sometimes like them better than I like people! :crazy:

There is something very honest about pets that i find very attractive. They don't hold grudges, they don't think you could have done better on that interview, they don't care if you are fat or toothpick thin....they live in the moment and love you for who you are!

I have had pets my entire life. Right now I own a very spoiled cockatiel and a pampered Betta fish. I would eventually like to own a dog (probably a rescue animal from a shelter) and cats. :happy:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not a big dog fan, but could probably be easily persuaded.

I've grown up with cats. I admire their independence. The wife has even complained of me showing more affection towards the cat then her sometimes.

I agree with what CallSignOwl said about animals in general. It's that unconditional love they show.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Are you all like that with dogs? lol.
No, but I am like that with cats. As you all already know, I am very attached to my cats.
As the others have said already, pets are very affectionate, loving, and accepting while asking very little in return from their owners.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Pets live in the moment, taking their energy from their surroundings--A perfect trait for ISTJs.:cool:

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
217 Posts
I remember niss63's comment on a post from a while back saying that he loves his dog and people wonder how he can be so affectionate to his dog but not affectionate in the same way to friends, or something like that... And I had a funny moment last night at a party... the ISTJ guy I like walked past this friend's dog and I thought "He's an ISTJ, I bet he strokes the dog..", and sure enough he stroked the dog really affectionately and spoke to it, and I thought "LOL, I know you better than you think" and smiled at him delightedly. He looked pleased and smiled back. Was funny. Are you all like that with dogs? lol.
Not dogs, but I am definitely like that with cats, I have two cats.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My ISTJ father is definitely like that with his cats. I'd say it's fair to say that he prefers them to (most) people. He recently acquired a fluffy white persian that he enjoys showing pictures of to everyone. Her picture is his wallpaper on his phone. :laughing:

His father, my grandfather, whom I suspect is an ISTJ as well (he passed about 10 years ago so it's hard to say) was the same way with dogs and cats. He had little use for mst people but he saw the good in all animals and rescued abused animals and miraculously got them to trust again (at least him)

As for me, an ENFP, I have more need for people than they do, but I'm certainly passionate about animals. And while I'm uncharacteristically reserved for an ENFP in the way of physical contact with people, I see an animal and I have to shower it with affection. It's in our blood :happy:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I like dogs very much. My dog died in late 2008 and was I devastated. I miss him still a great deal - loved him to bits. His loyalty, happy disposition and raw enthusiasm I liked very much. As CallSignOWL stated "... they love you for who you are" and indeed he did :sad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you all like that with dogs?

yes, but not just dogs, all animals.
Once a garden snake died in my back yard. It got a burial and flowers on it's grave.
People tend to make me uneasy, i don't have this problem with animals. They're simple.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Absolutely, except I like my kitties more than dogs(like dogs too though). I love all three of my cats dearly ; they are like my children. My friends think I'm a bit of a wuss though, because I baby talk with my cats. :wink:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Absolutely, except I like my kitties more than dogs(like dogs too though). I love all three of my cats dearly ; they are like my children. My friends think I'm a bit of a wuss though, because I baby talk with my cats. :wink:
i am soooo guilty of "baby-talk"!!!! :crazy: when I take videos of my Cockateil, people always ask who the person in the background is. They don't recognize the baby voice...probably because I rarely ever use it in front of other people!

OWL

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I've always harboured a deep affection for cats.

Like Skygghet has said I admire their independence, the quiet poise and grace, and am strangely attracted by the fact that they'll continue to do just fine by themselves even without their human around.

Personally I've always been uncomfortable around dogs, because I never know quite what to do in response to their enthusiastic displays of affection. I feel obligated to return in kind, except that I'm painfully shy around them.

I wonder if I'm seeing a lot of fellow ISTJ cat admirers because of the fact that one can exchange 'unspoken affections' with those creatures.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Well, someone has to be different and so, here I come. :unsure:
Animals take my fancy in general. They are lovable and cute.
But I have never really owned a pet and so, I don't know how I would be around them.
With others' pets, I feel a kind of kindness towards them.
Despite this, I am a bit awkward around pets for I don't know how to behave with them.
Though, I do remember from my childhood that our neighbours owned a dog with whom I would spend majority of my time with. She was fun to be with. However, I don't know how much that counts for since my personality has changed a lot since then (I used to be an ESFP).

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out. I had a cat for years and never liked it really because it would jump on my mousepad when I was playing video games and it got hair all over the place, which I couldn't stand. It also tracked cat litter on the floor near my room. It always tried to come sleep on top of me while I was in bed and that was uncomfortable and when I shut my door and didn't let it in it would meow really loudly and claw at my door.

I also don't like dogs at all. They're too unpredictable and would require lots of time walking it and feeding it and it would get dog hair all over the place. I prefer to live pet-free.

I can only see myself considering owning a pet if I lived by myself and the pet would have to be a dog. The dog would have to be very well trained and clean. I would train it as a guard dog.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out. I had a cat for years and never liked it really because it would jump on my mousepad when I was playing video games and it got hair all over the place, which I couldn't stand. It also tracked cat litter on the floor near my room. It always tried to come sleep on top of me while I was in bed and that was uncomfortable and when I shut my door and didn't let it in it would meow really loudly and claw at my door.

I also don't like dogs at all. They're too unpredictable and would require lots of time walking it and feeding it and it would get dog hair all over the place. I prefer to live pet-free.

I can only see myself considering owning a pet if I lived by myself and the pet would have to be a dog. The dog would have to be very well trained and clean. I would train it as a guard dog.
Yeah!!!!!!
I guess I am not the only one who isn't a massive fan of pets then.
Phew!:mellow:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I also noticed that the majority here seems to prefer cats. As a preference, I would select a cat over a dog for many of the reasons cited, until about 9 months ago.

I decided I wanted a Border Collie some 5 years ago, and waited until the time was right so that I would be able to spend the necessary time and resources with it to train it properly. Chamberlain is a little over 9 months old, and is a pleasure to have as a companion. Incredibly smart, picking up new words and obedience behaviors almost as fast as I can think them up. The amazing things are the ones he picks up on his own. He is constantly studying me, waiting for my next move, anticipating--always anticipating. And all of this is with no formal training. I have trained him myself with the rest of the family pitching in when they are around.

So if you ISTJs do ever decide to try dogs, make sure you read up on dog training before you bring the little guy home. Then train him without fail and you will be so surprised and thrilled. He is a companion in a completely different manner than a cat. I still love cats, but I now have a best friend that goes with me almost everywhere. It's now to the point that when he isn't with me, I get comments.:tongue:

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
295 Posts
I love all animals, but I will admit that I prefer dogs over cats. I had a cat, but she preferred my mom, so now it's her cat. I have a beautiful Staffordshire Bull Terrier that I adopted from a shelter 4 years ago, and I couldn't ask for a better companion.

There are a lot of people out there who don't understand though, because to them he's "just a dog". To me, he's my little boy! :happy:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Dog's emotions are never emotionally fluctuating, never judging how well you are fitting into their norms, and they just love to be given attention. Dogs are great because they want to play and be given attention on a regular basis.

Cats will always effect my allergies and I will never be able to enjoy ones presence for that reason. My dog on the other hand is a Bichon Frise. They are the cutest little dogs(remind me of stuffed animals) and allergy friendly, so they have the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts