Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is loving animals a typical ISTP thing?

Personally, I've liked animals for as long as I can remember. My dog is probably my best friend. XD When it comes to wild animals I tend to lean towards liking the more badass-looking ones with sharp teeth and claws, like black panthers or wolves, or saber-toothed tigers (even though they're extinct.)

So yeah. Any other ISTP animal-lovers out there?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I grew up with cats. Never liked them. I like snakes. I wouldn't call myself an animal lover. I like wild animals but they belong in the wild. I'd hate to interfere with that. I prefer to admire from afar. I've always been uncomfortable with zoo's. It feels wrong. We're imprisoning them. Yeah, I understand some of them wouldn't survive in the wild. But isn't it better to die wild and free than live out your days in prison? I feel similar about keeping dogs even though they aren't wild anymore. Pets have my sympathy, so I don't keep any.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I like both domesticated and wild animals. I've had cats, dogs, fish, birds and rodents. I've also encountered most of the local wildlife which is always exciting.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I am, I love animals. Domesticated animals (mostly cats and dogs) are great companions and they are good company, and dogs are truly mans best friend as my dog is also probably my best friend.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I love animals. It's really nice going for a hike and spotting a moose, bear, or deer. There are fisher cats in my neighborhood and I think that's so cool although I do worry about neighbors's dogs. I've always had cats growing up, which is also cool, but they are quite boring. I'd like to get a dog--a good hiking dog. I'd rather hike with the dog than people.

Reactions: deadly_silence

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've had a couple dogs, we got along fine. At least their behavior makes sense, if you're around them enough, unlike all the irrational behavior people display regularly.

That said, I can't say I'm an animal lover. It's mostly the responsibility thing. I travel fairly often, and especially with dogs, getting up early to let them out can be annoying on days I go to bed late and want to sleep in. Similarly, they're pack animals, and sometimes I want to be alone, or do things (like working out) that make having a pet around a little precarious, or guilt-ridden, if I have to lock them out of the area while I'm working (welding, business calls, etc.).

Unfortunately, every woman I date seems to like pets (I can hear the peanut gallery snickering, knock it off), and usually multiple pets, so having them is a compromise I make from time to time.

Edit: As for wild animals, I'm fine with them, too. I think it helps that ISTPs are more empathetic that most people assume, so we're usually careful not to push our luck or do dumb things that cause us problems with larger wildlife. Also, I enjoy being in natural surroundings, so there are plenty of times I'll walk over to the state park, go off trail, and just relax and watch the birds and critters go about their day.

I don't know that I'd use the term "animal lover" for myself, but I like the serenity of relaxing in the woods, or floating on the lake, with nobody else around, just watching the nuances of the world around me.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I respect animals.

I am not an advocate of keeping animals as pets, however.

I especially dislike dogs, due to how needy and co-dependent they are.

I don't like the thought of being tied-down from pursuing my interests because of having to worry about what to do with a pet while I am gone.

My girlfriend's mother constantly complains about how she "Can't ever go on vacation because she doesn't trust anyone to watch her dogs."

Guess what? Owning those dogs is a voluntary decision on your part, you can get rid of them. So stop bitching about something you have control over.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I wanted my cat to be my companion, and my cat has reciprocated in turn, because i'm more bearable to be around with than the rest of my family. Follows me around everywhere, and enjoys my company.

love animals, and always have. I've also always been fascinated by them. it's fun to watch how they operate and interact with the world. I've wanted to interact with them, even wild ones, but i know the more wild ones are harder to deal with.

I love both dogs and cats, but I've leaned toward being more of a dog person because they're so receptive and responsive to humans. I also have a high affinity for snakes, and some birds. ( my father keeps a giant cage of Cocktail birds at the corner of my backyard )

who knows if I'm responsible enough to take care of one though, as they are obviously a lot of work to put in. The cat's responsibilities are not placed on me. I'll cross the bridge when i get there.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I love animals.

In terms of cat vs dog vs bird vs rodents vs fish vs lizards - I'm way more of a dog person. I'm also starting to like cats a bit more then I used to. I believe that eventually, instead of a girlfriend/fiance/wife that I'll just settle with dogs somewhere secluded. I don't believe I have the tolerance levels for it but a dog will love me unconditionally.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I love animals and based my degree on that (as well as a huge interest in science). I've had cats all my life growing up (probably my favourite domestic animal), had gerbils for a few years, looked after a friend's snake (which I loved, reptiles are amazing) and am hoping to have cats and reptiles when I move out after university. I enjoy being around nature a lot, and do bird watching a bit, as well as plant identification (very amateurish but I enjoy it). I also like invertebrates a lot (I was the only girl in my university lab group to want to work with spiders and hold a really big insect).

Reactions: Loaf

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I would say I am a closet animal lover in some regards. But not. Animals to me I put in the same place as most humans. I do not put animals on a pedestal and condemn all humans but in the same token most humans can keep my attention much like most animals. I attract animals and there fore end up noticing them when they flock to me. LMAO usually they are my different friends' pets running from their hovering 'master' I imagine they are thinking something of the lines "I am going to go to this lady she is not chasing me with a brush and baby talk". So yeah if they sit right on top of me or next to me and demand my attention they usually reach a soft spot, but otherwise not much more noticeable then most other living beings in a rooms at times.

I hate zoos and have always hated them. I respect when its to preserve a species but have never been into it otherwise even as a very young child. Most depresssing thing ever seeing a living being isolated on display.

Lol really funny thing so my friend as soon as we turned 30 got a cat and became a hyper pet owner, and sudden animal lover and advocate. She has really turned me off of pet owners. Its overly obnoxious statements. You know the parent that brags about their kid too much, well she has become that with pets. She engulfed herself in overly reading about pets and pet care and has become pretentious about pet ownership. Now she has two cats and treats them like kids literally interjecting herself in their petty cat fights lmao I am just sitting there like "let them be (I let my kids duke it out)" Its gotten really obnoxious to be around. She dresses the cats up, talks about them more then I talk about my kids, bitches about how others are with their pets. I have told her she has polarized pet ownership. She gets self righteous about it and spews modern animal propaganda-(please watch another fucking sarah mchchalan pet campaign mixed with a message from bob barker-yes you should quote that shit because we all havent heard it-we get it you like animals-make another statement about it.

Anyways I grew up in the home of an animal lover. My mom was obsessed with animals. Rabbits, dogs, cats, then when she insisted we move from the cities to a flippin farm she bought a bunch of hobby farm pets. I may have laughed when her german shepard ate the sheep (really, really your fuckn shocked crying by this mom?) She was obnoxious about pet ownership too.

My kids want pets, I really avoid it because like others mentioned the autonomy thing. I like to be able to just go with my kids free on a whim. Animals are like people in that they need alot of care, well I have kids I care for that are finally at self sufficient ages I do not want to revert back to caretaking in that high of requirement in this stage of my personal life.

Personally as far as from a campaign standpoint my preferred contribution to society is with the elderly, disabled, sick, weak, impaired, and starving humans. I am just saying that here tho, I do not chew off all my friends ears off about my personal causes for self importance. Yes OP I know you did not stand on that crutch, but so many animal owners and advocates dismiss people. I would rather be in hospice unit or an EMT then sponsor a dog or cat or act self righteous about it like so many pet owners and lovers I know of.

Probably get a dog when I am old and my kids are gone for a companion and being as active is not an option tho.

·
Banned
2,715 Posts
i respect animals.

I don't like the thought of being tied-down from pursuing my interests because of having to worry about what to do with a pet while i am gone.

My girlfriend's mother constantly complains about how she "can't ever go on vacation because she doesn't trust anyone to watch her dogs."

guess what? Owning those dogs is a voluntary decision on your part, you can get rid of them. So stop bitching about something you have control over.
IF YOU THINK DOGS ARE TOO CODEPENDENT YOU DIDN'T TRAIN YOURS RIGHT. YOU NEED TO PROPER WORKING DOG LIKE A GERMAN SHEPHERD. A CODEPENDENT DOG IS LIKE POORLY RAISED KId

·
Registered
14 Posts
I respect animals.

I don't like the thought of being tied-down from pursuing my interests because of having to worry about what to do with a pet while I am gone.

My girlfriend's mother constantly complains about how she "Can't ever go on vacation because she doesn't trust anyone to watch her dogs."

Guess what? Owning those dogs is a voluntary decision on your part, you can get rid of them. So stop bitching about something you have control over.
This guy gets it.

However, I like dogs. I just don't want one as a pet. And they annoy me after a while like any animal. It's too much work and investment for no tangible benefit.

BL: Animals get in my way more than they help me. The exception is when I'm eating them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts