Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, are you guys good with animals, pets and/or children?

Now, this isn't about whether or not you like them primarily, but if they like you instead. I for one seem to have a magic lap for male cats and am the most neat candy for dogs apparently. I definitely do like pets myself, as long as there's not that something about them that lets you live in constant fear of might being attacked at some point. I actually been bitten by a dog at some point after months of knowing him, he decided to chew on my hand for a bit as I walked by him out of the blue. Can't say I was too surprised given that there's always been something weird that dog in the first place. Mistreated by his previous owner I assume, and left some mental deformation.

Anyway, ever since I can think I had cats and dogs of various kinds around me. As I walked into my mothers' friends flat it didn't take even a minute for her cat to siege my lap and take a nap on it. I was always prioritized over everyone else in the room.

As for dogs, as long as they're good natured they seem to absolutely love me as well.

While I certainly aren't the biggest fan of children (nuisance, stupid (Yes, yes, I know they'll have to learn and stuff)) they, too, tend to like me for most part, though I'm not going out of my way to be particularly nice to them.

So I wonder, is it some sort of calming nature ISTPs bring along that gives animals the idea of becoming attached, or is it that they maybe see right through our exterior onto our calming core? Or perhaps it's that our personality type resonates well with instincts?

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I love animals, I usually would rather not deal with kids. Sometimes I like them. Takes a lot of energy to get in there and play with them. I used to be a summer camp counselor, and wondered why the kids don't really like to jump all over me like they did the other counselors. I'm just not a warm friendly looking guy I guess.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
So I wonder, is it some sort of calming nature ISTPs bring along that gives animals the idea of becoming attached, or is it that they maybe see right through our exterior onto our calming core? Or perhaps it's that our personality type resonates well with instincts?
I think out of all the types, xSTP's seem to be the most animalistic.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I like certain kinds of birds and cats but I don't love animals in general. And I have a soft spot for kids who behave (especially girls but some of you knew that) and the ones that don't behave really annoy me but I don't lash out at them or anything, I just leave the place. As for kids liking me, my 2 girl cousins like me, especially the younger one, and a little brother who's indifferent to me and another little brother not related to the other who lives in another state that hadn't learned to behave well last time I saw him and really annoyed me but I don't know how he feels about me now. And I don't really know any kids outside my family so I don't know if kids in general like me or not.:unsure:

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I think out of all the types, xSTP's seem to be the most animalistic.
Maybe you should take a second and look up the meaning of "Animalistic."
Not quite the same as loving your pets or fond of animals.

In the manner of an animal; savage; untamed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, animals and kids are drawn to me, but unfortunately I usually don't share the same fondness. Animals...meh, I can take them or leave them. I will pet them if they come near me but I probably wouldn't own one and I definitely wouldn't allow one in my home. My family seems to differ but I'm not really feeling it.

In regard to kids, I like most kids five and under. I'm not extra friendly but if they are pretty well behaved and friendly I will play with them most likely. I think this is because I am a mother to small children...I'll be honest I never liked kids, and I still kind of don't (I didn't have my first child until I was almost 30). I just like mine lol. Oh that sounds so terrible but it's the truth! :blushed:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Everytime i visit someplace the animals there seem to grow on me and aren't afraid of me and start trying to interact quite fast. Even some of them who are terrified of humans sometimes come up closer to me than the others to the point that i've gotten a few comments based on it. Shame that i am slightly allergic to cats tho. I'd love to have one again.

As for kids, im indifferent to them but since i dont talk so much, they get bored eventually but they still follow me around. If there is some activity to be done neabry, then they gladly join in.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I love animals, I usually would rather not deal with kids. Sometimes I like them. Takes a lot of energy to get in there and play with them. I used to be a summer camp counselor, and wondered why the kids don't really like to jump all over me like they did the other counselors. I'm just not a warm friendly looking guy I guess.
I can very much relate to that.

I actually quite like kids. But people are surprised to hear me say it, because I don't always know how to react to them. And i'm certainly not a babysitter.

Dog's i love. Cat's less so, but more out of personal prejudice.

To diverge a little...something in me as of late can relate to a wolf's character. Anyone else ever thought this?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would think that neither animals or kids like people who fuss a lot about them, throw bodyparts in their faces and so on. I never do that; I let the other one make the decision whether they come and say hi or not. At least the cats find me safe (I haven't asked other creepers yet).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yeah, animals rock. People around me are actually suprised because even if I don't appear very social/friendly to them, their animals still go nuts for me :D But children - children like me just when they're in the age from around 6 to 11. Before, they're all scared of me, after this age they go into puberty. I don't like them very much and I don't even know what to do with them so people suggested I should act with them the same way I do with dogs. ... I think this is why toddlers hate me :proud:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
In the manner of an animal; savage; untamed.
That's exactly what I meant. Maybe you shouldn't be rewriting the meaning of my post.

and I don't love animals. or children.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Isn't it customary to attempt to pinch kids' cheeks, pet animals' heads, lift the kids and kiss them in the face etc? I wouldn't like giant noses or hands in my face, and I can't think of anybody that would.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Isn't it customary to attempt to pinch kids' cheeks, pet animals' heads, lift the kids and kiss them in the face etc? I wouldn't like giant noses or hands in my face, and I can't think of anybody that would.
It is customary, it's just that you made it sound like people were actually throwing severed body parts at the kids. :tongue:

As for me, I'm much better with animals than kids... though by "animals" I mean small furry mammals and not, say, snakes.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I like animals. :happy:

I'm a kid magnet. :frustrating::dry:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like animals seem to keep them happy and calm them down if their agitated. Same for kids for some reason. There's always babies screaming their heads off but they seem to calm down if I look at them. Weird. But I still remember this kid who was shouting all the way round a shop I was just picking up my bag from the till and as I moved my elbow back I elbowed him in the head. I got as far as Oh I'm sor... I saw who it was and went on my merry way with an evil grin. :cool:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I have made a child's entire demeanor crumble with a look.

Kids gravitate to me, but they don't jump all over me like they would with some people. I usually don't want to be around kids that much since I work with them, but kids are like cats...they can tell when someone doesn't like them, and they will gravitate to that person, like a moth to a flame.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
That's exactly what I meant. Maybe you shouldn't be rewriting the meaning of my post.

and I don't love animals. or children.
Actually an "animalistic" person is the exact opposite of a "spiritual" person.

Animalistic people usually don't get very far in civilized society. They have a propensity for ending up in prison.

Anyway, a lot of animals show affection and care for their offspring, even if it is instinctual. I would expect even more from a human.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Actually an "animalistic" person is the exact opposite of a "spiritual" person.

Animalistic people usually don't get very far in civilized society. They have a propensity for ending up in prison.

Anyway, a lot of animals show affection and care for their offspring, even if it is instinctual. I would expect even more from a human.
maybe my original quote wasn't small enough.

Or perhaps it's that our personality type resonates well with instincts?
That's what I was calling animalistic.

It doesn't require so much over thinking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts