Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I used to watch a lot of anime. Since, I've kind of fallen out of it, but I've been pretty bored lately so I'm looking for some new good ones. A lot of the big robot battles bore me. Naruto drove me nuts with its three-episode-long battles. Some fighting is okay if it's essential to the plot, but I much prefer character-centric shows. I am looking for some new good shows to start. Some of my favorites were Ouran, Melancholy of Haruhi, Fruits Basket, Mushishi, Naruto (still read the manga on that.. the anime got way too slow for my taste), Dennou Coil, Lucky Star, Spice and Wolf... There's a lot more, I'm sure, but I can't remember. I liked the first season of Code Geass but halfway through the second season I stopped liking it. I watched half of Darker than Black and liked that, but stopped because my life got busy and I forgot about it.

Any good shows I'm missing in my life? Tell me their names and a little about them.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I'd say Manabi straight! is one of the most underrated animes out there.... it's my favourite and has so much charm and cuteness :p
It's very straight forward and easy to follow... basically about an all girls school school council and their ups and downs of school life, making friends and organising the school fate.
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Manabi Straight, anime, english subtitle, dvdrip, japan, japanes (download torrent) - TPB

it says no seeds but I'm seeding it.. along with a few others every now and then!

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you like stuff like Lucky Star then Azumanga Daiou is a much watch, it basically inspired that generation of anime (though its gotten a little over the top) starting a lot of gags and influencing such.

Welcome to the NHK! is great, cheesy at times but I've been in a similar situation so I can really relate to it. Probably one of my favourites of all time it explores the life of Satou who is basically a shut in that's scared to leave his apartment so he does nothing all day but day dream, obsess over his situation and smoke. Then one day a girl comes down seeing him and wants to help him overcome his state. She can be a bit of a bitch at times but she really cares him. In the mean time he finds he lives next door to an Otaku obsessed with Eroge (hentai games) who convinces him to help make a game together. Also he comes across his old sensei from the Literacy club as she's struggling with her depression. A very good show.

Gintama I'm currently watching is but it has 200 episodes and can be quite episodic. At times it can get a little boring and stale then other times its absolutely hilarious. It follows Gintoki who is a lazy ass ex-Samurai obsessed with manga, has a natural perm and who has a shop where he will do pretty much anything for money. Joining him is Shinpachi a 16 year old nerd frustrated geek and Kagura a young girl from a warrior clan who often imitates Gintokis bad behavior. The world has been taken over by aliens banning the Samurai and Gintoki has gets caught up in all sorts of stupid situations. Its a self aware anime which has a lot of references to other anime and parodies it at times.

Others worth checking out:
Baccano!
Angel Beats!
Clannad/Clannad ~After Story~
Cowboy Bebop.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mushishi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost In The Shell, Excel Saga, Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Full Metal Panic!, Hetalia, Trigun, Captain Harlock, Slayers, Loveless

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
All of these are either OVA's or short series.

Time of eve

FLCL

Voices of Distant Star

Haibane Renmei

Pale Cocoon

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Quick and painfree anime's with an ending:

- Death Note (37 episodes)
- Berserk (25 episodes / par ending)
- Elfen Lied (13 episodes)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (61 episodes)

Long and painful anime's with no end:

- Naruto (200+ episodes)
- Bleach (200+ episodes)

These are the ones I've seen / am seeing.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
One Piece :cool:

Though, I really enjoyed Kaiji and Akagi.

Rainbow was superb as well.

EDIT: For a beat 'em up Anime that has't gone to utter crap yet, with the exception of One Piece, you might want to dip into Fairy Tail.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Death note didn't have a pain free ending it was one big anti-climatic let down of a mess >____< ...maybe... depending on expectations!
..still great though. :p

Ima add Lovely Complex (2007) - which is about a short guy and a tall girl that become unexpected best friends and help each other out with life and relationships. but end up falling for each other. Made of mucho win.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Welcome to the NHK! is great, cheesy at times but I've been in a similar situation so I can really relate to it. Probably one of my favourites of all time it explores the life of Satou who is basically a shut in that's scared to leave his apartment so he does nothing all day but day dream, obsess over his situation and smoke. Then one day a girl comes down seeing him and wants to help him overcome his state. She can be a bit of a bitch at times but she really cares him. In the mean time he finds he lives next door to an Otaku obsessed with Eroge (hentai games) who convinces him to help make a game together. Also he comes across his old sensei from the Literacy club as she's struggling with her depression. A very good show.
Hmm I was gonna say that one too, I really enjoyed this one. It's mostly serious but has some levity in the right spots.

·
Registered
INTP / LII
1,311 Posts
Trigun
Juuni Kokuki
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Maria†Holic
Kannagi
K-ON!
Attack No.1
Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin
Raimuiro Senkitan
Spice and Wolf
Trinity Blood
D.Gray-man
Kyou kara Maou!
Hellsing Ultimate
Sora no Otoshimono
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Dogs: Bullets & Carnage
Guin Saga
Bokurano
Amagami SS
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Cobra the Animation
E's Otherwise
Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
Shounen Onmyouji
Hayate no Gotoku!
Maburaho
The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo
Ghost Hunt
Scrapped Princess
Koihime†Musou
Princess Resurrection
World Destruction
Seikai no Monshou
Seikai no Senki
Seikai no Senki III
Sola
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
Utawarerumono
Tears to Tiara
Shakugan no Shana
Shakugan no Shana II
Shakugan no Shana Movie
Air (Movie)
Elfen Lied
Elfen Lied Special
Death Note
Detroit Metal City
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Geneshaft
Heroic Age
Kanon
Love Love?
Noir
Madlax
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Natsuiro no Sunadokei
Psychic Academy
Shuffle!
School Rumble
Najica Blitz Tactics
Ghost in the Shell (Movie)
Dragon Knight 4 ever
X/1999
K-ON!
Genshiken
Cossette no Shouzou
Clannad: Another World, Kyou Chapter
Clannad: Another World, Tomoyo Chapter
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Angel Beats!
Yumeria
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid OVA
Golden Boy
Claymore
AIKa R-16: Virgin Mission
Ar Tonelico
Devil May Cry
Hanaukyou Maid-tai: La Verite
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Happiness!
Ice
Izumo: Takeki Tsurugi no Senki
Lost Universe
Midori no Hibi
Green Green
Mizuiro (2003)
Moetan
Munto
Onegai Twins
Sky Girls
Stratos 4
Tokko
Tokyo Underground
Zero no Tsukaima
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Samurai Champloo
Clannad
Gantz
Escaflowne
Spice and Wolf
Solty Rei
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka
BALDR FORCE EXE Resolution
Fate/stay night
Nurse Witch Komugi-chan
Murder Princess
REC
Star Ocean EX
11eyes
Kara no Kyoukai
Starship Operators
Break Blade
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2
Agent Aika
Battle Programmer Shirase
Shining Tears X Wind
Texhnolyze
X
He is My Master
Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Witch Hunter Robin
Berserk
Kenkou Zenrakei Suieibu Umishou
Prétear
Welcome to the NHK!
.hack//Sign
Blood+
Ah! My Goddess
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Cat Shit One
Nagasarete Airantou
Rosario + Vampire
Black Blood Brothers
Kyou no Go no Ni
Chrno Crusade
Negima!?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I liked Nana and Blood: The Last Vampire but I think it was because I watched the movies first. Maybe it's something for you, too, watching movies based on manga and anime. Blood: The Last Vampire has Jeon Ji-hyeon playing the main character!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Ah My Goddess (Anime and manga are great)

Ah! My Goddess Episode 1 English Dub Video

Eureka Seven (Only watch the anime with English subs. English dub has the most annoying voice I've ever heard.)

Watch Eureka Seven Episode 1 Online - AnimeTip

Claymore (Anime and manga are fine)

Watch Claymore Episode 1 Online English Subbed | Shotaz.com

Mahou Sensei Negma (Just read the manga and don't even bother with the anime or live action. At about chapter 40, it stops pretending to be a romance series and goes straight into 1337 action.)

Mahou Sensei Negima! chapter 1 - Page 1 of 72

Rosario + Vampire (Just read the manga again. The Witch Hill arc is where it gets good. Just be warned, there is a lot of fanservice.)

Rosario to Vampire manga - Last chapter: Rosario to Vampire 40 - Read Rosario to Vampire online for free

Library War (W00t)

Lovely Complex (Shojo)

Bokusatsu Tenchi Dokuro Chan (LOL! "piru piru piru piru pippiru pi")

Neon Genesis Evangelion (1/2 epic robot show and 1/2 disturbing mecha character deconstruction)

Full Metal Panic (Fumoffu is funny, but the rest is fairly serious. It's good though).

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Not a huge anime fan, but I enjoyed the three Robotech series from the 80's (especially the last), and I think Cowboy Bebop is fantastic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts