Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure if we glanced over test scores that wouldn't be the case, but in a general way do you find yourself usually making the right call on something?

My example,
I was just thinking over some of the girls I have dated, which are usually a little stubborn and defiant. We'll often butt heads (in a cute way) about something and predict the outcome. Well, according to them I'm "right" a disgusting amount of the time. Does that mean they listen to me more often? Helll noooo

If anything, I think they start to tune me out a little bit more. Part of me thinks it's because they want to prove me wrong on something while the other part says that maybe they prefer that unpredictability on certain things. I'll admit I like being wrong and I like being put in those unpredictable situations, maybe they do too.

With that in mind, I wonder if that can make us "annoyingly right most of the time?"

Any similar experiences?

Reactions: Riy

·
Registered
375 Posts
*Sigh*

Yes, I know what you mean. I often feel like I understand the dynamics of most given situations, and what the outcome will be, or what should be done. It becomes a burden sometimes, though, because people I get to know pick up on the fact that I usually believe I know causes, outcomes, and necessary actions, and they end up putting up a wall, usually in some form of defensiveness or defiance. And the more defiant others become, the harder I try to figure things out so that I can better prove my points, leaving no question.

Unfortunately, the next problem becomes pride. I begin to see how often I read things and understand them, and I feel like I can do so more than others, and my pride is vaulted. Then pride distorts my perception by making me try harder to justify my views, and as it stirs up emotions, my judgment in situations become increasingly emotionally-laced, causing distortions. At that point, others may point out my distorted perspective, leading to more defensiveness.

But among the pride, defensiveness of myself and others, I feel capable of discerning situations well, which is a boon to myself and others if handled with care, and above all, humility.

I keep trying to remind myself that it's okay to be wrong, and it's okay to be wrong in front of others.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Being right makes others feel stupid. It's hard to change the mind of somebody with an ego. I've had many conflicts in life where I almost certainly was right and yet lost the battle. One time I wrote a memorable rant about that to an intelligent, seemingly ordinary thinker (who strangely hardly reacted). Summarized to apply to INFPs: too smart and caring for our own good.

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm annoyingly right because when I am right they hardly pay it any mind and if they do they just accept it and be on their way no matter how common I am right. Sometimes they listen to me though, but they always fall back into what they want to do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
A couple of months back, i viewed myself as lucky. I would pretty consistently guess the time, what would happen, whatever. Of course, i was rarely 100%, but always had a 'knack' for knowing, sometimes i really KNEW, sometimes it was a subconscious feel.

Now, i attribute it to intuition (which i need to study more, as it certainly intrigues me).

F.ex: I do not have a higher chance of winning the lottery then someone else, but i do have a higher chance of guessing right (without consciously thinking, f.ex using logic) then others when it comes to topics where i have

some sort of insight, be it what will happen, how much a certain stock will go up or whatever, I'm trying to trust myself when it comes to these kind of things, to let it evolve, as i feel if i do, will get a shortcut to my goals.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
True, sometimes they'll subtly acknowledge you're right and then continue doing their own thing. That comes across as to dishonest to me and thus increases my ire.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of months back, i viewed myself as lucky. I would pretty consistently guess the time, what would happen, whatever. Of course, i was rarely 100%, but always had a 'knack' for knowing, sometimes i really KNEW, sometimes it was a subconscious feel.

Now, i attribute it to intuition (which i need to study more, as it certainly intrigues me).

F.ex: I do not have a higher chance of winning the lottery then someone else, but i do have a higher chance of guessing right (without consciously thinking, f.ex using logic) then others when it comes to topics where i have

some sort of insight, be it what will happen, how much a certain stock will go up or whatever, I'm trying to trust myself when it comes to these kind of things, to let it evolve, as i feel if i do, will get a shortcut to my goals.
Oh really? :D

I do stocks myself, the financial part never hurts, but I think it's sometimes just seeing if I'm right that really gets me all riled up.

What are you keeping an eye on?

------

Back to topic though,
Match-man, I used to always want to be right, but then I discovered that I learned soo much more by being wrong. When you're right so often it almost gets kind of boring.

Wisdom, if you have that rant still, post it up. Also, agreed on sentiments.

Nas, ha. That's a bit comical isn't it? p.s. Stop being depressed, put a pencil in your mouth. Evidently it results in you mimicking a smile and releases all sorts of little feel good hormones. ( I wonder how many people will try this right now...)

AvaAdore, I'm sure you and the other person both know it in your minds though. I don't know about you, but i'd walk around a little extra smug after being right on something.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm sorry if i gave you false hope, it was meant as an example of how 'I' work, i do not at the moment deal in day trading or such w:sad: (I will in the future though, will be fun to see how that goes :tongue:)

When it comes to subjects where i have some sort of knowledge, my guesses will 'usually' be 'correct'.
Let's say a occurrence has a 50% chance of occurring, i do NOT have a higher chance of it happening then anyone else, but if i have some sort of external knowledge (be it conscious, or unconscious), I think my intuition influences my chance of success.

if anything i wrote this date seems completely insane, i will refer to "Three hearts, strongest brew" (a 10% beer f.y.i :p, though I'm on the perfect intellectual border, in my opinion of course, which means i might actually make some sence for a change).

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm right a lot of the time, with friends, and people still don't listen to me,

well what can you say, you just have to silently let them get on with it they wont listen anyway,

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
INFP's use auxiliary Ne which deals in intuitively analyzing what exists around you and what WILL exist. It is the reading function whereas Ni, the other form of intuition, is a writing function that deals in not surveying your surroundings to predict what will happen but manipulating it to make what you want happen.

INFP's, among other Ne users, have the ability to look past a persons outer layer and look at who the person really is on the inside (whether they want you to or not. which is why some people don't like Ne users :p).

They read and judge things for what's inside the book, not just what's on the cover.
from another recent thread on the same topic. If it seems like you are right most of the time and that most people around you aren't as "thorough" in taking into account all the variables, you're right.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry if i gave you false hope, it was meant as an example of how 'I' work, i do not at the moment deal in day trading or such w:sad: (I will in the future though, will be fun to see how that goes :tongue:)

When it comes to subjects where i have some sort of knowledge, my guesses will 'usually' be 'correct'.
Let's say a occurrence has a 50% chance of occurring, i do NOT have a higher chance of it happening then anyone else, but if i have some sort of external knowledge (be it conscious, or unconscious), I think my intuition influences my chance of success.

if anything i wrote this date seems completely insane, i will refer to "Three hearts, strongest brew" (a 10% beer f.y.i :p, though I'm on the perfect intellectual border, in my opinion of course, which means i might actually make some sence for a change).
What!?! I gave you the first "thanks" you've ever had and now it's tainted! I feel so betrayed!

Jokes aside, it's not that bad of a time to get to know the markets. There's a few iPhone apps / online platforms that use realtime data, but not real money. So you can test predictions now. I think you start off with like $100-200k and see where it goes from there.

Also, I see what you mean.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm right a lot of the time, with friends, and people still don't listen to me,

well what can you say, you just have to silently let them get on with it they wont listen anyway,
That is one thing, i get a feel that tells me something like this: "Oh my god, stop her, just don't let her do it!". Then after giving up on convincing them: "Don't do it", "Run for your life", or something similar..

I just wish people give me a position as chief advisor or something similar, as a spiritual advisor, because, when i feel something is really, reallly going to hell, it usually does :crying:...

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
Oh yeah. Right a lot of the time. I keep it on the DL, tho. It raises husband's blood pressure if I mention how *right* I always am, too often. I know it, he knows it, why torture him w/constant "I TOLD YOU SOs".
:laughing:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah. Right a lot of the time. I keep it on the DL, tho. It raises husband's blood pressure if I mention how *right* I always am, too often. I know it, he knows it, why torture him w/constant "I TOLD YOU SOs".
:laughing:
You made me realize how dangerous being right can be if it's the woman.

I actually shivered a little bit inside. That's slightly horrifying.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm sure if we glanced over test scores that wouldn't be the case, but in a general way do you find yourself usually making the right call on something?

My example,
I was just thinking over some of the girls I have dated, which are usually a little stubborn and defiant. We'll often butt heads (in a cute way) about something and predict the outcome. Well, according to them I'm "right" a disgusting amount of the time. Does that mean they listen to me more often? Helll noooo

If anything, I think they start to tune me out a little bit more. Part of me thinks it's because they want to prove me wrong on something while the other part says that maybe they prefer that unpredictability on certain things. I'll admit I like being wrong and I like being put in those unpredictable situations, maybe they do too.

With that in mind, I wonder if that can make us "annoyingly right most of the time?"

Any similar experiences?
Yes.

Solution to the problem? (Might seem evil but how evil aren't people that ignore their conscience?)

Feign being inferior (i.e: self-critical/honest at your own perspective in as the obvious flaws of your own perspective and say it out (while do not say the strong points of your perspective) and say it in the most stupid-like way as possible) and now and then put out some baits just to encourage the arrogance of those that can't be honest with themselves and fight fire with fire.

Strike them where they least expect it when they least expected it. Know when you can fight and when you can not fight. Strike directly without delay at any opportunity in which you know that you can make no mistakes but closely anticipate the consequences. Avoid direct confrontation. Be extremely sarcastic (especially do this at your own perspective) at their expense while your being 100% yourself and just reverse the words.

Be passive aggressive. Use a lot of rhetoric + flowery language. Be as imprecise and ambiguous as you can possibly be and say words that you do not mean. Do this in an innocent as possible way and spread it out so that they do not find out your plan.

If the person is easy to irritate (usually is the case of people that can't be honest with themselves): find all manner of ways of irritating him or her while at the same time he or she is not aware that you are trying to irritate him or her: all in all don't make sure your opponent notices your plan -- because if that is the case it is time to retreat.

Make him or her think that you are on his or her side when you are not (if possible). Ignore their point that they are trying to make while focusing on the irrelevant details of their perspective instead and interrupt and acknowledge them while they are making their point.

Make a lot of logical fallacies just so that they can correct it for your automatically just to suck up their time and make sure that your mistakes really aren't mistakes. This further increases their arrogance. Patience is not the virtue of bullies so just draw everything out if you can. When opportunity arises: attack your opponent directly with all your force of your strongest perspective (which you hid unless he or she has already found it out) after a long time have passed when he or she is losing his or her patience (i.e don't give him or her any rest). Also obviously acknowledge all the bullshit that they speak while speaking that such bullshit to them.

Most of these people have crap integrity so make sure to spy on every little moral mistake they do (but do not directly point it out -- save it out to those *WHAM* opportunities instead). Find out their patterns and know their plans. Try to interrupt and destroy his or her strategy at any way possible. Don't get personal though at first though... that can trigger their ego... have restraint.

When you are doing all this have this in your mind as it is going to be as easy as possible: do not make it seem that you are overdoing it and are do not be subject to over-reacting: bullies thrive on your reactions so do not make them and thus remain as calm as possible if you can. Don't make it seem like you are making a fight.

Remember this:

"The softest things in the world overcome the hardest things in the world.
Through this I know the advantage of taking no action." -- Lao-tzu.

If you know the person's patterns well you can predict the person's next action so take advantage of that and try to break it (it requires no strategy really) -- I call this "counter-spell". Know that INFP's can be very unpredictable so your opponent will have a hard time to use this strategy against you (though definitely isn't impossible however) in case of such INFP rely on his or her intuition.

People that can't be honest with themselves are usually conformists and thus I think that their weakest point is when they do not have any allies around them... they are usually dependent on others to some degree. Divide and conquer.

Rely on your intuition if all else fails -- this is something that the other opponent that is not honest with him or herself usually does not have. Discard my advice and rely on personal tactics when necessarily.

Good luck.

(... what can I say... I am bored... and needless to say... annoyed...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts