Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, greetings. I'm new to MBTI - I've read about it in my spare time, and MBTI continues to intrigue me. Needless to say, I'm pretty hooked. I've taken multiple online tests (mostly preference test - which is anything but accurate) and gotten the following resulsts: ENFP/ENTP, ESFP and sometimes even ESTP, which is weird since I'm well aware of how Ne I am and you have Ne and Se in your main function set.

While I mostly relate to ENFP the most (I'm well-liked IRL, and I can be pretty charming) from what I've read, ENFP is too... feel-y for me. While I do sympathize with people, I feel like I'm too individualistic to jump in the fray and help them with their problems head-on, so usually I try my best to cheer them up and calm them down first, then offer them solutions.

I also have taken the enneagram tests and ended up with a 7w8... which doesn't really help in this situation. I couldn't decide whether I use Fi-Te of Ti-Fe. I'll... list more about me, I guess. Hope these will help:

1. I know for sure I'm Ne-dominant. I am very scatterbrained. I start more than I finish. I relate to ENFP's descriptions on the net.

2. I like befriending people, sure, but I'm really bad at making deep relations. I feel like I jump around too much to actually settle for just a group - I want to be liked by everyone because I feel like I need to. Having a wide connection is useful at times when I need something that I don't have.

3. I've read that Fi users dislike fakers. I find myself adapting to my environment so I can impress the people in there, make them like me, and make sure I get what I want from them - whether it's popularity, their support just in case I get into troubles later, or small things like leaked answers of an upcoming test.

4. I'm not sure whether I use feelings or rationality more often. I used to be very emotional, but these days I let my head rule my heart. Not saying that I am completely rational right now... but at times, and these days more often than not.

5. I like keeping files of people I've talked to in my head. This is where MBTI is useful for me - it makes categorizing people way easier.

6. I'm not sure whether this is relevant, but I like to stand out. I want people to remember me and make sure I make good impressions on them. I also like being in the dominance, especially in arguments.

7. While I do love knowledge, I'm not into those science-y stuffs. Blergh :rolleyes:

8. I use my alone time to explore my feelings. I figure things out and asks several 'why' and 'what' questions to myself, especially after making a decision. "Why did I do that?" "What is the benefit of choosing X over Y?"

9. I love saying things just to get a reaction out of people. I believe I'm quite good at reading others. I admit that sometimes I play with others' feelings for my amusement or to know how X kind of people react to stuffs.

If there's something you want to know, just ask away. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Stop focusing on behaviours. Seriously I'm going to start collecting those pennies, I really do think I'd be rich.

Fi- subjective feeling. The only law for value judgements is what you feel is right. You have some sense that value judgements are subjective, but it doesn't matter to you. Whether you are right or wrong you live and die by how you personally feel about things.
Ti- subjective thinking. Only what you consider to be right makes logical sense. Someone could show you Newton's law of gravity but if you thought it was wrong you'd disregard it (extreme example, obviously no-one would do that).

Fe- objective feeling. There is a right/wrong value judgement for every situation. Values seem linear and simpler compared to the mixed up values of Fi. Objective and decisive.
Te- objective thinking. There are linear encompassing logical rules for every situation.

Both ENFP-ENTP will likely feel stubborn and subjective at times- you have to ask yourself whether it comes from a logical or value based perspective for you as that will be your 2nd function. Both will sometimes feel people should be making choices in a certain way- this is the 3rd function.. Fe or Te?

I can't speak for ENTPs, but the following seems a very common growing up path for ENFPs:
- From ages 10-15- Fi develops, and ENFP becomes focused on subjective values. There is a regular strong stubbornness to stick to own values, even when most others around them disagree. They'll probably be aware that their values are different from others', but won't care a single jolt.
- From ages 15-20+- Te develops, and ENFP finds an alternative and opposing method which balances and conflicts with Fi. Particularly when this first emerges, there can be growing pains where Te comes into conflict with Fi and ENFP can't decide how to balance the two. Often ENFPs even overcompensate with Te, trying to be a "harder" or "more decisive/cold" individual through Te, although this hopefully balances out as ENFP matures.

It's funny- particularly with the Te-faze you can actually see younger ENFPs on this forum coping with the faze with the posts they make.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Stop focusing on behaviours. Seriously I'm going to start collecting those pennies, I really do think I'd be rich.

Fi- subjective feeling. The only law for value judgements is what you feel is right. You have some sense that value judgements are subjective, but it doesn't matter to you. Whether you are right or wrong you live and die by how you personally feel about things.
Ti- subjective thinking. Only what you consider to be right makes logical sense. Someone could show you Newton's law of gravity but if you thought it was wrong you'd disregard it (extreme example, obviously no-one would do that).

Fe- objective feeling. There is a right/wrong value judgement for every situation. Values seem linear and simpler compared to the mixed up values of Fi. Objective and decisive.
Te- objective thinking. There are linear encompassing logical rules for every situation.

Both ENFP-ENTP will likely feel stubborn and subjective at times- you have to ask yourself whether it comes from a logical or value based perspective for you as that will be your 2nd function. Both will sometimes feel people should be making choices in a certain way- this is the 3rd function.. Fe or Te?

I can't speak for ENTPs, but the following seems a very common growing up path for ENFPs:
- From ages 10-15- Fi develops, and ENFP becomes focused on subjective values. There is a regular strong stubbornness to stick to own values, even when most others around them disagree. They'll probably be aware that their values are different from others', but won't care a single jolt.
- From ages 15-20+- Te develops, and ENFP finds an alternative and opposing method which balances and conflicts with Fi. Particularly when this first emerges, there can be growing pains where Te comes into conflict with Fi and ENFP can't decide how to balance the two. Often ENFPs even overcompensate with Te, trying to be a "harder" or "more decisive/cold" individual through Te, although this hopefully balances out as ENFP matures.

It's funny- particularly with the Te-faze you can actually see younger ENFPs on this forum coping with the faze with the posts they make.
I may be high, but that was brilliant

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
@betadine I'm going to go ahead and declare you an ENFP. You don't have age listed on your profile, but I'm going to guess late teens or early 20s. Deep personal connections doesn't seem to be one of your priorities at the moment. I've observed though that as ENFPs get closer to mid 20s, they start to desire deep personal connections more, and start to have a much lesser desire to befriend and be liked by everybody.

Your point #4 sounds like an individual progressing from Fi to Te. You used to be very emotional and let your heart rule your head. Now that Fi is developed, you're balancing out and developing Te, becoming more rational and letting your head rule your heart.

#8 sounds like Fi. Wouldn't an ENTP use alone time to explore internal logic, and not their feelings?

Your whole post is actually rather Te-ish. ENFPs, myself included, like to organize our thoughts by numbering them out like that. I'm actually not sure if I've ever seen an ENTP do that. I'm going to have to keep an eye out.

Lastly, welcome to the forums!

Reactions: Doc Dangerstein

·
Registered
Beta Gang - EIE 3w4 - 368 sx/so
4,750 Posts
2. I like befriending people, sure, but I'm really bad at making deep relations. I feel like I jump around too much to actually settle for just a group - I want to be liked by everyone because I feel like I need to. Having a wide connection is useful at times when I need something that I don't have.
Funny you say that. Have you ever been called a gipsy ? because you have been welcomed in many places and made a really good impression, yet you re not stayin in it because you re chasin the place that is right regardin your very strong values ?

As in, your home is to have a lot of homes ? you come and go and the less developed eyes will say that you re goin with the wind ? if so, thats kinda very Fi behavior, and also pretty idealistic, hence well, Ne

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Read some of my posts. When I thought myself to be ENFP and spoke of values it was extremely logical and always using the external as a measuring stick. It is possible for an ENTP to declare himself independent of the cultural norm. It does not follow that he must position himself in conformity with the status quo because he uses Fe. It's enough an ENTP to be aware and decide accordingly.

I understand ethics in terms of consequence. Morality is something I trust if and only if it is consciously thought out and applicable to the situation and representative of something that can be defined as the common good regardless a person's history and background. Exception granted to the drooling, rabid homicidal crazy. Let's limit the sample base to people without many destructive tendencies that could land myself or others in the hospital, morgue or on the street stripped of all propriety and dignity. An ENTP will debate all these aspects to absurdity: trust me, I just did.

... a Ti user WOULD challenge Newton's law of gravity. Einstein was INTP and he did so with stunning virtuosity. Sometimes I like to deconstruct reality and reduce everything to self referential matter and energy and talk about it over coffee with random people. Because it's fun to mess with their heads.

The third function idea. I have my thoughts and my arguments but when I write, I write to entertain. Occasionally I choose to entertain myself and other times I entertain my audience and even the later is entertaining to me. Perhaps this is tertiary Fe. AdroElectro does make a valid point because I have never written in point form and my thoughts are certainly not organized and numbered.

I learned structured writing in English class: bullet point outlines are a waste of time and the five paragraph essay is a pathetic excuse for reasoning. It's rationalization and there is a difference.

... tl, dr. Yeah. I found out I have more in common with INTPs than INFPs. Try looking at the corresponding introvert.

Reactions: AdroElectro
1 - 6 of 6 Posts