Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just occured to me how often I act very self-destructively when I'm in an overly introverted mood and risk falling into the trap of just digging myself deeper and deeper ruminating on my life or whatever it is that needs to get done but which I don't want to do so I just think about it instead of doing it working my way down in a sort of death spiral. What I mean is that when I end up simply thinking too much, without any interaction with the outside world and get stuck inside my own mind, what I would really need to get back to reality is often some very simple act of acknowledging the existence of things outside of my head.

I've made it a habit to make sure I get outside of the house at least once a day, for a short walk, because I know how much difference it makes. I didn't feel like it today, so I almost didn't go out, but luckily managed to convince myself that the time wasted on my 10 mins walk would not be put to very good use if I stayed inside either. And, of course, as soon as I had gotten a few minutes of fresh air, I realized that I would probably enjoy going down to the grocery store to buy some things I needed anyway. Well at the store, I reminded myself of one of the things from the thread on negativity here, and decided to buy a bottle of juice I hadn't tried before, thinking that just sitting down and very mindfully drinking it, would again help balance out my rampant introversion. So I buy the drink, go home, put it in the fridge, and as I sit down, hear me saying to myself, "Now what's the point in drinking it...". Crazy! I wanted to drink it, but some other part of me obviously didn't think that simply wanting it was enough, as I couldn't put forward any logical argument as for why I should—drinking it obviously wouldn't have any life-changing impact on the world.

Now, why is it that it is so hard to just accept the need for living life!? Why do I feel the need to fit everything into a strictly rational logic? Why do I keep defeating myself by denying myself the exact external stimuli (social and solitary) that I need to function properly? Why can't I just drink a glass of juice when I feel like it, without it being part of the grand scheme of things? Why do I constantly manage to convince myself that nothing in the outer world counts, when it is exactly then that I more than anything need to acknowledge the world outside of my mind?

Thanks for taking the time to read this...

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
It just occured to me how often I act very self-destructively when I'm in an overly introverted mood and risk falling into the trap of just digging myself deeper and deeper ruminating on my life or whatever it is that needs to get done but which I don't want to do so I just think about it instead of doing it working my way down in a sort of death spiral. What I mean is that when I end up simply thinking too much, without any interaction with the outside world and get stuck inside my own mind, what I would really need to get back to reality is often some very simple act of acknowledging the existence of things outside of my head.

I've made it a habit to make sure I get outside of the house at least once a day, for a short walk, because I know how much difference it makes. I didn't feel like it today, so I almost didn't go out, but luckily managed to convince myself that the time wasted on my 10 mins walk would not be put to very good use if I stayed inside either. And, of course, as soon as I had gotten a few minutes of fresh air, I realized that I would probably enjoy going down to the grocery store to buy some things I needed anyway. Well at the store, I reminded myself of one of the things from the thread on negativity here, and decided to buy a bottle of juice I hadn't tried before, thinking that just sitting down and very mindfully drinking it, would again help balance out my rampant introversion. So I buy the drink, go home, put it in the fridge, and as I sit down, hear me saying to myself, "Now what's the point in drinking it...". Crazy! I wanted to drink it, but some other part of me obviously didn't think that simply wanting it was enough, as I couldn't put forward any logical argument as for why I should—drinking it obviously wouldn't have any life-changing impact on the world.

Now, why is it that it is so hard to just accept the need for living life!? Why do I feel the need to fit everything into a strictly rational logic? Why do I keep defeating myself by denying myself the exact external stimuli (social and solitary) that I need to function properly? Why can't I just drink a glass of juice when I feel like it, without it being part of the grand scheme of things? Why do I constantly manage to convince myself that nothing in the outer world counts, when it is exactly then that I more than anything need to acknowledge the world outside of my mind?

Thanks for taking the time to read this...
I know exactly what you mean.

I went bowling for the first time in years last night. A friend that I had not seen in a while invited me. I was very greatful, even though I must say that I am rather bad at bowling. :blushed:

I should probably do stuff like that a little more often than I do, and it doesn't help manners that I don't have a job right now. I will spend too much time on the internet.

The only way for me to stop overthinking is to dope myself up on Fe. I'm usually either extremely nice to other people or goofing off in some manner in this state. I cannot be too serious without being all analytical and stuff and being stuck in my head. :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
When I am in this mode, I write what is in my head; even if, I have to force myself. Works for me...don't know if it would for you or anyone else. May be worth a shot. :wink:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I hear you. Very loudly as it happens :frustrating:

Making myself do anything that is outside my little comfort zone of habitual, often self-defeating routines is so damned difficult without an external kcik up the arse. It is so refreshing when the initiation to act comes from within, but it so rarely does these days.

Never mind, I expect that a baby needing constant attention will be just the cure for it. 2.5 months to go till I won't be able to ignore the outside world anymore!

·
Banned
1,039 Posts

Making myself do anything that is outside my little comfort zone of habitual, often self-defeating routines is so damned difficult without an external kcik up the arse. It is so refreshing when the initiation to act comes from within, but it so rarely does these days.

Never mind, I expect that a baby needing constant attention will be just the cure for it. 2.5 months to go till I won't be able to ignore the outside world anymore!
Congrats! :happy:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I am in this mode, I write what is in my head; even if, I have to force myself. Works for me...don't know if it would for you or anyone else. May be worth a shot. :wink:
Well, that is kind of what he did here.
Thanks! Both of you! *tries to stop laughing*

Reactions: Dalien

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you!

I keep thinking, "small steps, small steps". Just a five minute walk. Just a cup of tea. And then slowly, slowly... Until I have a relapse and start over again. "small steps"... But, really, I could use more proverbial kicks timely administered.

So people say... :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Well, that is kind of what he did here.
Yes, you are right Daveman, but there may be more in his head than he shared here. I don't honestly know if there was more or not...that is why I threw out what I did. I tend not to share everything in my head. Isn't this one of the INFJ type traits? I am not saying all INFJs have that tendency or not. Some have it stronger than others, but I do believe because we are introverted this trait is there. I sometimes find it easier to write about my thoughts, ecspecially the ones that are not completely formed, than to tell others about them even here on this forum. Writing on this forum is a form of talking with others.

Reactions: penchant

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts

Congratulations...lucky you! Ahhh...such a blessing! :happy:

Reactions: penchant

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you are right Daveman, but there may be more in his head than he shared here. I don't honestly know if there was more or not...that is why I threw out what I did. I tend not to share everything in my head. Isn't this one of the INFJ type traits? I am not saying all INFJs have that tendency or not. Some have it stronger than others, but I do believe because we are introverted this trait is there. I sometimes find it easier to write about my thoughts, ecspecially the ones that are not completely formed, than to tell others about them even here on this forum. Writing on this forum is a form of talking with others.
Yes. Thank you for your posts! I hope I wasn't to flippant earlier. You are perfectly right. And it was an interesting experience just writing and posting this. I don't think just writing it down without letting anyone read would do it for me. But I know I need to open up more and talk to people I trust about how I feel more often.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
You gave good advice.

I was mostly kidding around.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Yes. Thank you for your posts! I hope I wasn't to flippant earlier. You are perfectly right. And it was an interesting experience just writing and posting this. I don't think just writing it down without letting anyone read would do it for me. But I know I need to open up more and talk to people I trust about how I feel more often.
I usually feel the need to share my thoughts as well.

Go ahead and open up more. I think it'll be good for you. Your Fe will be pleased with you.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I usually feel the need to share my thoughts as well.

Go ahead and open up more. I think it'll be good for you. Your Fe will be pelased with you.
[rant] To bad it's a lot harder to find good friends offline than here... :sad: [end rant]

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
You gave good advice.

I was mostly kidding around.
Geez...I am not serious when I should be, and I am serious when I shouldn't be!:laughing:
You two ganging up on me?!?! :laughing:
For that, you both get to write 100 times...I shall not gang up on Dalien! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Reactions: Daveman

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You asked for it..... :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

(I hope the Admins don't get me for wasting their electrons or something....)

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!I shall not gang up on Dalien!

Is copying/pasting something cheating? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Penchant and Daveman...:tongue:

ROFLMAO

Reactions: Daveman
1 - 20 of 28 Posts