Personality Cafe banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Also, MBTI is still used in work places. Socionics, as far as I'm aware, is almost universally derided as bullshit the few times I've tried bringing it up. People have the similar criticisms about MBTI as well, but there are companies that use it quite successfully. Something Socionics can't claim. ;)
MBTI is generally used in the workplace as some sort of tool to help people better deal with diverse tendencies. I don't know of the "typology" aspect being promoted, just that people all have their own preferences and the letters can explain some of the ways we differ. Like some people respond to bluntness better than others (T types) and you just sort of have to accept that universal approaches don't work. It's not pigeonholing people into 16 types and then saying "this is how they operate" with a rigid cognitive function map.

Reactions: Scoobyscoob

·
Registered
I Thimk INTP
14,111 Posts
MBTI is generally used in the workplace as some sort of tool to help people better deal with diverse tendencies. I don't know of the "typology" aspect being promoted, just that people all have their own preferences and the letters can explain some of the ways we differ. Like some people respond to bluntness better than others (T types) and you just sort of have to accept that universal approaches don't work. It's not pigeonholing people into 16 types and then saying "this is how they operate" with a rigid cognitive function map.
Not the workplace but I recently attended a Meetup group, the subject of which was Asian Art. There were eight attendees I recall only half of which were regulars to this Meetup. I almost always am quiet until something gets discussed that jogs my brain into saying something that will contribute. I don't naturally enter in. So what I do is try to listen.

The conversation interchange almost always reflects different personality types. That is, it is not just what they say that determines the dynamics, but how they say it, how emotional they are, how long they speak and whether they have to dominate.

Let me go around the room from memory starting from my left. The fellow just to my left is congenial, refined, and interactive never dominating. The next lady is quiet, unexpressive rarely speaking up. The next lady laughs a lot and tend to dominate once she gets the floor. Next to her is a guy who talks on and on waving his arms, highly expressive. Next is the woman leader. She is rather quiet, introduces a theme, doesn't elaborate but lets others respond. Next to her is a really nice well educated person who contributes but stops talking should she feel she might be monopolizing. On my right is a young "girl" whose profession is the theme but who mostly listens to learn from the more informed. Lastly is me who only speaks up when I hear the conversation is overlooking something that I like to know about or sees something outrageously funny.

What's the point? The point is the dynamics of the interactions seems highly responsive to what personality each is expressing. It seems to me the quality of the conversation and how predictive it will be depends a lot on knowing, how a personality behaves.

Which personality theory do we know? Which is best? I like the MBTI because even if I'm not skilled at judging, I might guess, this person is an introvert and that person is a judger. That helps me both to know how to interact with them and whether to be tolerant or angry when the person seems to be going too far. Before I will debunk the MBTI I have to ask does it help to refine what I just said?

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8
4,954 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you. Good post.

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8
4,954 Posts
Back to the top again and that's it for me for now. ;p

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is true that everything can be "debunked" but half of everything is "belief", nobody can disprove that you have your own "cookie cutter" in the MBTI-collection, except yourself... the other half is also when you start to disbelieve yourself (which I do much of the time), then I get into my "totally not a ghost in the machine"-mode, and look intensively for any clue that could disprove my current belief. I myself find it is good to put what I know on the stand, to be judged against any new suspicions of falsehood..., no wonder I myself believe that MBTI might be a pseudo-science, it might really be just a nothingburger, I am still ambivalent

101 - 110 of 110 Posts