Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some questions for people who do believe in soulmates:

1. Have you been in love before?
2. Did you break up with your first love or are you married to them?
3. Did you believe they were your soulmate at the time?

See I do believe that there's a right person for everyone. Actually I believe there are several right persons for everyone. But I don't believe in some singular unique soulmate - http://www.infpblog.com/favorites/myth-of-the-soulmate

Here's my theory: INFPs believe in soulmates until the first time the break up with someone they love who they thought they would be with forever. After enough cycles of, I thought they were my soulmate and follow by breakups, INFPs start re-evaluating the notion of what soulmate.

Even though someone is your soulmate, it doesn't mean the two of you will live happily ever after. So if looking for a soulmate doesn't really guarantee you'll end up together or even continue talking to each other, what's the point of finding a soulmate again?

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I can't answer questions 2 or 3 because question 1 is a "No". Nearly 25 years on this rock and I have no idea what love feels like.

Woe, woe!

:wink:

Do I believe in soulmates? Yes, absolutely.

·
exploring space
9,698 Posts

1+3) Yes I fell in love when I was 14 with a guy 19 (INTJ) and it was wonderful really, such a powerful feeling. We weren't only lovers but also very very good friends, I did believe him to be my soulmate and we actually said it to each other (a bit jokingly but we believed it) mostly because we thought of the same things and we had a strange connection. Many random things happened so many times, like for example I decide to pick up my phone at the exact time he sent me an SMS and that was so common we thought it special and that it meant something.

2) We broke up after 3.5 years because I fell in love with another guy (INTP) and because our romantic relationship was a bit worn out, I guess that happens if you consider your lover to be your best friend.:unsure:
We did stop talking much after our break up until he was over it and actually we are again very good friends, he fell in love with a great girl (INTP) and I encouraged him to tell her even when the first time he got a no for an answer, now they are a happy couple and probably they are better couple than we were.

I think I agree with this part:

"Here's my theory: INFPs believe in soulmates until the first time the break up with someone they love who they thought they would be with forever. After enough cycles of, I thought they were my soulmate and follow by breakups, INFPs start re-evaluating the notion of what soulmate.

Even though someone is your soulmate, it doesn't mean the two of you will live happily ever after. So if looking for a soulmate doesn't really guarantee you'll end up together or even continue talking to each other, what's the point of finding a soulmate again?"

I am very hesitant to consider anyone my soulmate again because I don't really believe in it anymore but I feel ok with that, maybe that's not the point really. Or maybe that guy is my soulmate anyways, soulmates don't have to be lovers they can be friends.:happy::wink:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Here's some questions for people who do believe in soulmates:

1. Yes, once, to my first love. We have been married for 16 years.

2. I am married to them...but currently separated.

3. I believed this for years...now I think that was just co-dependency speaking... :unsure:

I do still believe in soul mates... Even though my husband and I have traveled down some really dysfunctional roads and may or may not remain married... We have been such a part of each others lives and will always be a part of each other even if the marriage ends. I think it would be impossible to spend that much time with a person and then just erase them from your mind... But I also believe new love is out there...sometime...somewhere....

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
1. Have you been in love before?: Yes

2. Did you break up with your first love or are you married to them?: I never got the chance to be with my first love.

3. Did you believe they were your soulmate at the time?: I felt like she was my soulmate. I still feel that she could be my soulmate because I still love her to this day. It's not a romantic kind of love. I've always felt it was something so much deeper than that. Anyway, it's a long story.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
#1 Virtually every girl I've dated (6) I've said the words. i feel guilty looking back, but at the time, in every relationship, we were so closely intertwined it was ridiculous.

2nd - yes, implied.

3rd: Yes, always wanted to make things worked and overlooked flaws by focusing mostly on good experiences together. ie: If one person was fun to be with, but lacked conversational depth then we'd just do the fun stuff.

I chronically dated from 15-> around 21 (dated around 4 girls in that timespan with very little breaks between them) and took a ONE YEAR BREAK from dating so I could truly figure out what I wanted. I turned down a few dates (some I even regret) during that timeframe. Eventually I got that itch to be in a relationship again and ended up having the shortest relationship I've ever had (6 months).

After that I realized that although I have a lot of -serious- dating experience and lots of self-reflection time, I still wasn't sure what I need in a relationship or should be looking for.

One of my own theories is that INFPs will always look for problems in a relationship. Eventually we end up finding something that we think warrants us to end the relationship. With that in mind, I've tried to try to "let things go" a bit more, but maintain core values.

·
Registered
409 Posts
1. Have you been in love before? Yes, I suppose, it seemed like it, a couple of times.
2. Did you break up with your first love or are you married to them? I loved them, they didn't love me.
3. Did you believe they were your soul mate at the time? Not at the time, I didn't even think about soul mates. I believe in soul mates now. And a soul mate does not have to be a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend. My soul mate is not any of those, and never could be due to life circumstances, but that doesn't matter. Our soul connection is in a whole different category.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Different kinds of love than I am ultimately seeking, but yes.
The first reciprocated love, I broke up with. Before that was an unrequited love, a girl I became pretty distant from.
To both, yes, and I still believe they were my soulmates, perfect for me in their ways.

However, I still haven't found the kind of love, the kind of soulmate that I ultimately want. That's okay, I know what I'm looking for is very rare, but not impossible, and I'm gonna try not to go hunting for anyone else, because I want someone who picks me first; I don't wanna be the one who makes the first move this time around, because it establishes a relationship dynamic I don't want.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
1. Have you been in love before? Yes

2. Did you break up with your first love or are you married to them? We broke up, it's a long story and there were too many unfavorable circumstances involved. I still love him until this day.

I do believe that I have had very powerful soulmate connections with my first love and second ex. I've had lots of guys enter my life before, but they are both unique to me.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
1. Have you been in love before? Yes but not requited.

2. Did you break up with your first love or are you married to them? We were never together. He was my best friend,it's a hard thing to take.We still talk but only online haven't seen him since high school graduation,didn't even get a hug from him I think we both knew it would of been to hard to have an actual official goodbye.I feel like he does still care about me as a friend and a person. I wish we could start over again without my feelings and jealousy getting in the way.

I don;t know. No I didn't feel like he was my soulmate I did however feel like fate wanted us to be friends wanted us to talk.It's funny actually in second grade he was my penpal then years later he became my best friend.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes I have been in love.
I broke up with my first love. But got back together with him 10 years later. I thought he was my soulmate when we got back together because we'd come together again. But right now I gotta say I'm not so sure. I think that's because deep down I believe my most recient ex who left me after three years really was my soulmate. I'm not sure what I beleive, if there is only one true mate for everyone or we have different soulmates, I hope it's the latter.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I agree with the idea that a person can have multiple soulmates.
I rarely think that people have one specific soulmate because then what if your soulmate is a bacteria or something?
Mainly, I like to think that the basic feeling between any two people (when you take away their places in this life and all of the specifics, such as occupation, views, likes, dislikes, organizations they are a part of, material possessions, other relationships...) stays the same, and that you can meet many people with whom you have a connection that will make you think that they're your soulmates.
But I think the most important thing is that you want to be with that person, regardless of whether or not that person turns out to be your soulmate. If you are constantly wondering if they are your soulmate, that might mean you wouldn't want to be with them if they weren't your soulmate...
Lol, I am confusing myself. Anyway, this is theoretical. I've never actually been in a relationship.

As for the questions:
1. I think I have been, but I am never completely sure about anything, and it would depend on your definition of 'being in love'.
2. Never together
3. It doesn't really matter to me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts