Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in MBTI for years but I've flip-flopped around different types because they either don't seem like a 100% accurate fit or I can make an arguable case for another one. I've even studied the cognitive functions, but I think it's just gotten to a point where I can't look at myself objectively with confidence... So I'm asking you! I filled out two of those questionnaire things. Read one or both, some of each, or neither... I don't care.

1. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favorite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
I’d initially find humor in the situation, but would soon become sad or angry. I love my favorite bands a lot and I can just imagine how upset I would be about not being able to see them after getting excited for it... However, I would be outwardly calm, as I don’t see the point in expressing frustration as it won’t help anything and I don’t want to project anger and negativity onto the people I’m with.

2. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I think going to the afterparty would be fun. Somehow I would feel more comfortable if there were a lot of people going rather than a small group, however, so that I can disappear in a crowd while still reveling in a lively and feel-good atmosphere. I would probably stay with the people I knew, but certainly be open to conversation with others. I wouldn’t want to party all night however. I would just want to get the experience for a while and go home.

3. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
My reaction would be dependent on whether the belief I hold is a logical one or a moral one. If it is logical, I am open to reception as, though I strive for logical awareness and accuracy, I am always learning things that shift my perspective. If it were an ethical issue (which I’m assuming this question was about, just wanted to make sure) I would be more affected as I try to put a lot of thought into the things I consider to be ‘right’ and fair. In both scenarios, however, I would approach the discussion from a rational perspective while keeping things calm and being understanding of my friend’s perspective.

4. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
This is sort of too broad to answer, it seems, but I think, in general, if something clashes with my beliefs I don’t really care until it seems to have an outward effect on the environment or what is happening. In such scenario I would be inclined to take action and do whatever is required to ‘fix’ the situation and give my input on how it should be handled.

5. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
I think what’s most important to me is developing an excellent understanding of the world (in every context), authenticity, kindness, and humility. I don’t really know how I determined them. I think that over the course of my life I have tried to figure out what makes me happy and what will lead to inner and outer peace. I also strive to make sure I am treating others in a way I would like to be treated. I feel like I do not always live up to the expectations of my values but they are generally consistent. I’m willing to compromise them if it means I will be helping someone without risking my safety or security.

6. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
A) I have an extremely poor understanding of my personality, so this is going to be hard. I don’t really know what distinguishes me other than my independence, kindness, and detachment. I think I am very good at reading people as well, and I can easily make people feel understood by sharing what I have observed about them. I would say I generally put other people before myself. I doubt most people notice anything about me, however, because I am so inhibited and shy. B) If I could change one thing about my personality, it would definitely be my shyness. I just wish I could fearlessly ask questions in class or start a conversation with a stranger without fear of judgement or rejection. Simple things like that.

7. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I think a lot about my instincts, and hold them to high regard, but I don’t have complete confidence them and require a cohesive logical background before accepting them. However, I like sharing my hunches because I enjoy bouncing my ideas off of people to see if they hold any truth. I think it’s a combination of what I notice about my external environment and the history I have with something that leads me to make a judgement about a situation to come. I get hunches about how people feel about me, how people feel in general, despite not being outwardly emotional myself at all (a lot stirring inside though, I assure). I mean, I can turn it on to be polite and respectful, I’m really good at that, but I can’t be personable for some reason. Ever since I was little I’ve been coming to conclusions about my family that make them ask, “How did you know that?”, as if I was in on some secret or something. I tend to only rely on gut instinct entirely when I am pushed for a time restraint.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
I definitely require more time alone to sort my thoughts before I recharge and formulate more, but I also really enjoy by one-on-one or small group activities with people I feel close to or appreciate the company of. I can’t really be happy without either of them in my life in some facet. I love learning new things. I enjoy riding along in a car or driving, listening to music, playing music... I tend to daydream and live out random fantasies in my head. Whenever I’m depressed sometimes I just lay out in my driveway with my headphones on. For some reason being outside and online with myself, restraining thought, makes me feel really nice. B) I feel most drained when I get absolutely no validation from myself or others (which is frequent), when I feel misunderstood and left out (yet don’t know how to fix it), and when I’m still for too long or doing the same task for too long When doing the same things over and over in the same environment I just feel like a life-wasting machine and I need to get new experiences, whether it be a walk in the woods or a trip to the city. Just something new. Additionally draining, of course, is any traditional work-related task that seems mindless and time-consuming, regardless of how easy it is, such as much of my English homework.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I repress in almost every form the expression of myself when around people I don’t know well. I’m not the type to share unless asked. I try to repress my outward judgements as I think they make others uncomfortable, and I’m not entirely sure how to explain my judgements in a way that would be useful. However, I continually surprise myself with my interest and ability to talk to people. I have noticed I can relate to people (at first, at least) through empathy, logical ideas and questions, or humor. When with close friends, I reckon I am not really repressed but still somewhat quiet. I come across very polite and formal to strangers, according to my friends, almost in a way that makes me unapproachable. I don’t really have any filter when it comes to my internal thought process, with or without the presence of others. After all, no one else can hear them.

————————————————————

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
There’s a lot... I don’t know if I’m too empathetic and supportive to be a thinker, or too detached and logical to be a feeler. I enjoy outside experiences but at the same time I live almost entirely in my head and I communicate through my ideas. I’ve read up on the cognitive functions but somehow I can’t assure myself that I'm a specific type. I enjoy spending time with people I like and am generally energized by it, but I definitely require a lot of time alone before I become a very boring blob of silence and misery.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I don’t really know what I want out of life. It bothers me so much but I feel like I just can’t come to a clear understanding of who I am and what I desire. I just want to be happy. There’s also a part of me that has a deep desire to be admired, loved, and remembered, which deep down I know is unhealthy. I get anxious a lot about the thought of disappearing in history. I guess most simply I just want to be in a state of mind where I love what I do occupationally and I have accumulated a lot of knowledge about the world. I want to be really smart and also musically skilled.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I had a friend living with me for a while. I had met her at school and she was in a situation in which she didn’t like where she was living, so I offered to host her for the next few months she’d be living in the area. Anyways, we bonded over the fact that we both played guitar and we had similar senses of humor. I had never felt so connected to a person in my life. We did only a couple of shows together but we practiced almost every night in my garage. I just felt that by spending time with someone that I could relate to well, all while expressing myself, I was on cloud nine. I finally felt understood and she validated a lot of the thoughts I was having that were making me feel alienated before.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
I guess just the fact that I’m never approached and struggle to connect with people. But I also often feel intellectually inferior and that bothers me a lot. It takes me longer to come to terms with a concept but at the same time I have an aching need to know everything and it's just frustrating. I feel that everyone else is smarter.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
All of the above. I think about my choices a lot. I always consider pros-cons but they rarely end up being the main thing that influences my decision. If I can’t make a decision (which is frequent) I’ll leave it to someone else or flip a coin or something. I try to make decisions that will benefit the majority without sacrificing my morality or logic.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
When working on a project, I want to have somewhat of an idea and then just work as I go and follow the pattern I first set. Of course I like to have control over the outcome. I like to feel like I have a role in what is happening.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I learn best when I am presented with the theory first and then able to use hands on experience to support or disprove that theory.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I pretty organized mentally, good with birthdays and stuff, but not so much outwardly. I just don’t find it important, unless a point of filth is being reached.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
The first. I do not at all feel fulfilled or like I’m actually learning anything if I do the second thing. Once you have the framework you can start coming to your own conclusions to validate or refute something based on your notion.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
The latter, I think. Nah, both. I don’t know. I’m very concerned about the people in my life, but because of my own insecurities about the care they have or me, as well as my awkwardness of expression, I don’t know how to deal with it. And if I do get someone to like me, I can suddenly become inwardly judgmental toward them and push them away... I am the type to ask someone individually if they are ok, but I just can’t force myself into a friendship based on pity alone. I think authenticity is important, but it is also important to not get to a point at which you are too stubborn to evaluate other ideas. I hate the feeling of not belonging and I feel a responsibility to defend other people.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I think before I speak. I have to sort through what the other person said as well as what I am going to say before I share it. Group discussions can be great in that they allow the conversation to have a continual flow while I am still thinking things through and coming to my own conclusions and creating a framework, but at the same time I appreciate the one-on-one conversations I have with people a lot because I am more comfortable expressing the more vulnerable parts of myself.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
The latter for sure. I hold off on my decisions pretty much as long as possible. Actions do speak louder than words, of course in theory, but sometimes I don’t check to see if people are actually holding themselves to this standard.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Ah, this one’s so tough. Really depends on my mood at that very particular time. If I’m not tired or already winded down, and I don’t have any work to do, then I’d go out.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I sort of just shut down and get kind of detached, irritable, and depressed. I tend to make everyone I love think I hate them all in some sort of weird projection of my own self-loathing. I develop a mentality that the world is against me and I don’t care about anything.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I’m irritated by those who have no self-awareness or humility, and people always try to assert intellectual superiority. I am also frustrated by people who hold personal accountability for their actions. I hate complaining and blatant insensitivity.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I love talking about music, ethics, and science. Mostly I just like banter. I enjoy listening to anything other than the mundane details of someone’s life or shit-talking about someone else’s. Kind of any conversation in general in which I’m learning or joking and the other person isn’t being condescending. But with an interesting person who just brings up a lot of random topics, anything goes and the conversation is great. I love hearing people's’ stories and impressions.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life
Homework, deadlines, daily responsibilities, relationships (despite the itching need for intimacy)...

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
I’ve been told I’m awkward, funny, intelligent, and kind. I think my friends read me okay but I can’t help still feeling misunderstood. I think it’s probably mostly because I haven’t figured out how to express myself outwardly when everything is internal. The people who don’t know me well do even worse. I come across as judgemental, timid, and boring. My friends would never say that I am attention-seeking, flamboyant, or superficial.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Honestly, I’d probably just spend the whole day on my computer. But I would feel most fulfilled if I practiced guitar or hung out with a friend. I like going downtown and just walking around the city too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are these the types you've considered for yourself in the past?: INTP, ISTP, INFP

Seems you might feel conflicted about the idea of getting typed as anything xxTx because of seeing yourself as warmer on the inside than on the outside and seeing a "T" labeling you doesn't feel like an accurate representation?

You seem like a fairly balanced person, just a bit insecure.

My first impression from this was INTP, btw.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts