Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed that the INFP is often reduced to a blubbering, blindly optimistic fool by others. I'm at the point where I expect to be disappointed by these two-dimensional, condescending "portraits" of the INFP on MBTI websites. As a response, I made a short post on my blog that's basically just "INFPs are not stupid." (I don't believe INFJs are stupid, either, but I'm not an INFJ, so I decided to speak on what I knew.)

Some people liked it, but then I received comments along the lines of "Yes, they are" and "Look at this INFP making a fe argument that still turns out to be fi" or something weird like that. I'm just now finding out that there are blogs whose main purpose is to mock and belittle INFP and INFJ identities.

I wasn't particularly offended, but disgusted, yes. I know myself, I know my mental and emotional capabilities. However, the INFP resources have in the past made me feel insecure, while I'm sure others struggle to accept their MBTI type because of how others love to simplify them. Poor INFJs are the rarest type. I made the post for other INFPs and to inform non-INFPs that, hey, I see what you're doing, and I don't appreciate it. I'm more worried about the INFPs who aren't allowed to have any kind of self-esteem. That was me once, before I came to terms with myself, and I hate the thought of other INFPs seeing this nonsense and internalizing it.

TL;DR: Why the hate? I just don't get it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What hate? I use resources that try and be factual and objective, and I see no hate whatsoever for the INFP, infact quite the opposite. We might be seen as naive, out of touch dreamers by some, but that's nothing bad unless you see it that way.
Don't look for opinions, because everybody has opinions to justify their own behavior and compare it to that of others, that is just human. If you're looking for something to be upset about, you'll always find it. The internet is good at providing things to be upset about just as it is good for providing you with pictures of kittens.
You really should not take it personally, as if INFPs are the only one's who are hated on by others. Even ESTJs can be offended by how monstrous they are depicted by many people.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Here is a piece of advice that I believe everyone can learn from: Do not base your self-esteem on the opinions of people from the internet. These people do not know you, your life, your values, or what you have been through. In your particular case, all they know about you is that you are an INFP, which means that absolutely nothing they say about you has any value or merit.

That being said, the issue of the internet hating INFPs as a whole is ridiculous. People like to single us out and make us out to be whiny, useless, cry-babies who can't take care of themselves. ESFJs have a similar issue. I daresay they get more hate than we do. The MBTI community likes to think that every terrible, controlling, social-status-obsessed bimbo on the planet just has to be an ESFJ. Neither one of these stereotypes are true, yet they are the ones I see the most of within this community. It's pathetic.

The reality is that a lot of INFPs are courageous, persevering individuals. When we set our minds to something, we do not give up. Just because we don't make a show of our determination does not mean that we aren't determined or that we don't care. Some of the most driven, strong-willed people I know are INFPs.

I don't understand all the hate, either. I know that INFPs struggle with taking things personally and getting our feelings hurt easily, but so do a lot of other types. We're not the only sensitive bunch out there. When I see someone hating on INFPs simply for being INFPs, do you want to know what my reaction is?

I ignore it and move on. Anyone who doesn't want to listen to you just because of 4 little letters is not someone you should listen to or pay attention to. Period.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
TL;DR: Why the hate? I just don't get it.
It's essentially type racism. One of things I really dislike about MBTI is how typism is actually a thing. Of course all INFPs aren't a bunch of blubbering cry babies. Of course INTx's aren't a bunch of robots incapable of feeling. Not all ENTJs are evil people who want to rule the world. Not all SJs are like Bill Lumburgh from Office Space. Not all ESFPs are slutty party girls. Intuivites are not by default smarter than sensors.

I think it says a lot about people who buy into these stereotypes, not about the people who happen to be these types.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
"INFx hate group".... you mean society?

Reactions: Suchi i Frutta

·
Registered
586 Posts
The entire point of MBTI is to realize the beautiful differences between us all, and how we can play to one another's strengths and find our place in society. So the hilarious irony is when people use this tool to emphasize division and ignorance; they essentially become no different than a racist or a sexist. This tool is used to gain knowledge and insight into general types of human natures. It is a jumping off point, it's not a conclusion and silly people shouldn't treat it as such.

Don't worry about typism, it's just close minded people masquerading as intelligent.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think I see what you mean but all you have to do is read the entire forum and see the "hate" is everywhere.
I think Endless is right. There is a lot of negativity towards ESFJ the most but INFPs get picked on a lot.
What have they ever done to deserve this contempt? I am not sure.

Don't take it to heart it's just an internet forum.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was recently browsing in the INTJ forum in a thread about INTJ controversial opinions. People were saying things like all pedophiles should be killed and there should be capital punishment in place for a slew of crimes if a perfect legal system were in place. I like INTJs on the forums because they are intellectually fearless, willing to let their contemplations take them anywhere, and this often leads to really innovative ways of looking at important issues. But when I was reading through that thread I thought to myself, "Oh yeah, that's why the world needs INFPs." Of course many other types would object to those particular opinions, but it really made it salient for me how important it is to have kind-hearted F types in the world whose ongoing primary priorities center around human well-being.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe you should stop caring so much. Many people on this site seem to be narcissists anyway. Just look at the "what's your IQ" thread and you'll understand. Don't take the opinions of people on this site too seriously. They're not professionals. Some people may be a bit more blunt about their opinions, but if you can't handle that this is not the right place for you to be.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
To be fair, I think INFPs hate INFPs most. The Si + Te weakness with Fi can relate to low selfesteem when unhealthy, and society doesn't help so the INFP can feel they are the odd one out or have the competency (idealizing Te) to fit in with society. I don't think it's necessary for a 'anti-hate club' I think we just need to all believe in ourselves a little more rather than making other people do it for us.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Who cares?
There are pathetic people of any type. Why internalize something that unknown people say and that you know isn't true??
The worst error of an INFP is to believe in every critic others throw at them.
I wouldn't waste my time thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I once read a thread in a forum titled: I hate INFP (if I am not wrong, it's INTJ forum). The one who made the thread was an unhealthy INTP. I summarize it's actually about a boy/man (idk about his age) who really hate his mom and he typed his mom as INFP. He made a generalization that all INFP was like his mom, that's why he hates INFP. The whole respond of this thread disagree with him. I feel it's pitiful too to see him attacked by most of all people in that thread.

So, I think the one who hates the certain types is basically an unhealthy that like generalization about the things. Whatever it is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just want to point out that I'm not worried about typism for my own health. Like I said, I know myself. Baseless internet hate doesn't bother me because I know it's just someone trying to rattle me. I'm worried about INFPs who are searching the web for INFP resources, trying to understand themselves, and are getting this rubbish instead. I want to discuss good, accurate resources, hopefully to send other INFPs on a better path.

Not everyone may connect with the same source, but some are obviously better than others.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hmm... I don't know about that. Maybe because I narcissitically tend to search for information that will please me and avoid all the rest.
Even if few people know about MBTI (at least in where I live), I surely have found my self and my 'kind' much more undervalued in real life than in the internet. Society in general, because of how the world works, doesn't tend to undertand us or to even make an effort sometimes. To the point you don't even want to try anymore and end up reclusive...
But the internet, if you know how to surf your way around it... is a pretty nice refuge.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
@flashbangideals

The Personality Page
Briggs Myers' 16 Personality Types: In-Depth Profiles & Free Quiz | Truity
INFP Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving

^
These are just a few sources. I also found that Pinterest has nice image boards about most MBTI types.

Websites like that always treat every single personality type with respect. But yes, if you read Tumblr blogs or Reddit pages then you will find a lot of shit. And. You find a lot of nonsensical information that won't help you at all with learning more about personalities in general and your own in particular (stuff like: Which type eats what candybar?)

Reactions: Zeta Neprok
1 - 16 of 16 Posts