Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself enjoying anticipation a lot more than the actual event, whatever it may be. For example, if an album from an artist I like is coming out, I'll research everything I can about the album and what the artist's intent is. A lot of the time my excitement provided more entertainment than the music.

This isn't just with material things, of course. Sometimes I like to plan out how things are going to happen in my head, such as how a certain friend is going to react to some elaborate prank or gift.

What's your experience with anticipation and do you think this is related at all to functions or enneagram type?

Reactions: Ace Face

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It all goes back to the love of the journey more than the destination, for me. I hype things up rather easily, and also love to do endless research on anything I'm anticipating. (And I also plan out interactions / conversations / etc., though with little intention of seeing them come to fruition.) The fun, of course, comes simply from being occupied. Perhaps the event or book or movie or whatever won't live up to my expectations, or maybe it will. Either way, it certainly won't last as long as I had spent mulling it over. My ultimate goal is simply to be stimulated, and whatever I'm obsessing over is likely irrelevant.

If it matters, I'm a 974 and I think my answer has a lot of 7 in it. Also, the roller coaster of possibilities aspect seems so very Ne.

This is a little off topic, but I was reminded of the HIMYM episode where Ted met Victoria. She doesn't let him kiss her because the lead up was always her favorite part, rather than the culmination. She also (attempts to) makes sure they won't be in contact after their fun, as nothing can be tainted if their interactions end. Then it's only what ifs and unexplored possibilities, rather than let downs.
That episode resonated especially well with me, anyway. :)

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
Lol, I definitely have a tendency to do that, but I have found that it takes away from the actual moment sometimes. That's why I really try not to let my mind get that carried away. I mean, part of me really wants my mind to go there because it is so enjoyable, but to think that reality can never match up to my dreams is a disturbing thought. Those dreams become an expectation in a way, and that's not always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I am agreement with ace face. I try by to go there. I think it actually makes me anxious.

Immediately what came to mind was the song "anticipation" by Carly Simon. Now I will be singing it all day. :0

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know just what you mean, but often then not only am I often brought out of the enjoyment of the moment, but also often I build something up so much in my head that when it actually happens, I can't enjoy it enough. I set myself up for disappointment. So I make effort to caution my anticipation excitement, to keep myself content.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts