Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
At the point where we begin to believe that we can move away from natural requirements for the body and find things in tubes and bottles.

In moderation, some occasional supplementation might be good. Not as a way of life though.

Reactions: Seaborg

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not really related but it made me think about how scientists can create these substances in labs and they are the same as the natural thing in every way but people think its bad for some reason. Like if scientists made and sold man-made water people would be super cautious about it even though its exactly the same as "normal" water.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I'm just annoyed that health nuts are pushing antioxidants as this NEW MIRACLE CURE FOR EVERY KNOWN DISEASE EVAR! No, it's just another healthy thing that you might want to add to your diet, that's it. I enjoy blueberries and other fruits just as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to be eating a blueberry salad everyday. People need to learn that a balanced diet is the most beneficial, don't just eat salad, that'll make you sick(of salad).

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
See the attached link:
The Antioxidant Craze: Do They Work? | Science-Based Life
(I know it's not a scientific article but it brings up some good points)

I don't think that the foods marketed as antioxidant-rich (eg: blueberries, blackberries) do any harm. Of course fruits and vegetables are good for you! But at what point do you think that misinformation becomes dangerous?
I don't feel like reading the whole thing. But I agree with you. I don't think foods rich in antioxidants are harmful. I think supplements could be at the very least worthless and even harmful.... only time will tell :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
The name "anti-oxidant" is misleading. That's not to say they're good for you, or that excessive anti-oxidants are bad for you: 1. That doesn't make sense, and 2. Nothing is good in excess.

They are poorly named though.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
So, basically keep ignoring everything those morning talk shows say about nutrition and health? You bet I will.

Seriously, those TV doctors will say anything, even contradict themselves in the same day, just to scare you and make you buy some dumb chalky pill. Just keep everything in moderation, listen to your stomach when it tells you "Listen bro, I can't take any more of this crap you're putting in me", and eat a bunch of fiber. The rest will figure itself out.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
This reminds me of the time I was drinking a free juice sample and the woman started blathering on about antioxidants. I was very tempted to ask her if she actually *knew* what the term meant.

@Armez AOs work by preventing the oxidation (removal of electrons) of molecules, leading to high-energy free radicals forming - the name merely states what they do on the tin. Reasearch has found carcinogenic free radicals react with DNA and have involvement in other illness, such as coronary heart disease and rheumatoid arthritis. I imagine food companies saw these data and decided to keep the term when peddling products, because it sounds all fancy pants sciencey and technical-like :rolleyes:

Sadly, there is little evidence to suggest the mere act of consuming foods rich in anti-oxidants has any benefit. It's snake-oil kids!

Reactions: Seaborg
1 - 8 of 8 Posts