Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you believe it's at all possible to have Antisocial Personality Disorder, or be a Sociopath, if you can have empathy for certain animals? I've heard that sometimes people with no conscience form sentimental attachments, or an empathy switch, for certain things. That's not true is it? I mean, if you can care about something, there must be something inside. Something that's still in there. I also know that all of this is up for debate and different professionals have different ideas, some think there are different types of Sociopath, some don't. It's all up for debate really... I'd be interested in knowing what other people have to say on this issue.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Reactions: Notus Asphodelus

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Mair Maybe. It's an interesting subject. Being honest, it makes me wonder whether or not things like Sociopathy might be on some kind of spectrum we're all on, as opposed to something used to demonize others. I mean, people who say that those who don't give a shit about certain people are evil or empty, they're hypocrites. The type of hypocrites who would walk past a homeless person like they're litter on the streets or dog shit they want to avoid stepping in, something like that. Same people who say they're all about the community and helping people go psycho over things like dog shit not being picked up, and would more often than not even get an old person who probably happened to be oblivious of the whole thing or can't bend over to pick up dog shit, in deep shit. I read about an old woman being treated like a criminal for that-DOG SHIT. As if there's any GOOD people. THAT, Mair, is humanity.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Maybe these site could help answer your question:

What It's Like To Have Antisocial Personality Disorder - Business Insider

I have almost no ability to empathize with others, and even at the death of those close to me, I did not feel sorrow. Instead, I knew that I should be feeling sorrow, and so I exhibited the emotions that I knew I should be feeling. This was the training and treatment that I received. I was taught about my disorder, I was told that I was different from most of the world, but I was also taught that I should attempt to integrate.
Characteristics of a Sociopath

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Aspd or psychopathy and NPD are correlated to amygdala problems aka devoid of empathy.
1. Aspd 1 in 25 people, most likely correlated to causation and Hispanic.
2. Psychopathy 1 in 100 people.
3. NPD 1-2 percent of society. More prevelant amongst African American populations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts