Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had anxiety before in my life, I'm not the type to stress myself out over things and I've really never been really scared or worried about anything. I usually take a day at a time and just see what happens. I don't dwell too much on things and I deal with a problem only if it causes me a lot of stress.

A few months back though, everything changed. I started to worry about the smallest things, I thought way too much about the future, the past, myself and basically everything. I was scared and stressed out to the point that my body hurt everyday and I felt locked up in my own head 'cause I just couldn't stop thinking. It was like an on-going conversation in my head that just wouldn't end. I didn't trust my feelings anymore and I realized that I couldn't make any decisions at all unless I started thinking logically and rationally about an issue. I became so introverted and I couldn't have normal conversations with people 'cause my mind would wander off somewhere else. I couldn't pay attention in school and I developed some kind of social anxiety, people made me feel awkward and I started to think that eye contact was the worst thing ever. I usually stayed in my room and refused to go see anyone. Worst part is, I couldn't find a way out 'cause I thought if I just did what was expected of me then it would all go away.

I never thought this would happen to me 'cause it the total opposite from the way I usually see and deal with the world and I was so confused for such a long time I just wanted to kill myself. It's better now though and I'm starting to get back to myself again and it feels so good. It's been an eyeopener for me 'cause I realized that I am who I am for a reason and I don't need to change for anyone.

I was just wondering, has anyone here been through anything like this?

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I've never had anxiety before in my life, I'm not the type to stress myself out over things and I've really never been really scared or worried about anything. I usually take a day at a time and just see what happens. I don't dwell too much on things and I deal with a problem only if it causes me a lot of stress.

A few months back though, everything changed. I started to worry about the smallest things, I thought way too much about the future, the past, myself and basically everything. I was scared and stressed out to the point that my body hurt everyday and I felt locked up in my own head 'cause I just couldn't stop thinking. It was like an on-going conversation in my head that just wouldn't end. I didn't trust my feelings anymore and I realized that I couldn't make any decisions at all unless I started thinking logically and rationally about an issue. I became so introverted and I couldn't have normal conversations with people 'cause my mind would wander off somewhere else. I couldn't pay attention in school and I developed some kind of social anxiety, people made me feel awkward and I started to think that eye contact was the worst thing ever. I usually stayed in my room and refused to go see anyone. Worst part is, I couldn't find a way out 'cause I thought if I just did what was expected of me then it would all go away.

I never thought this would happen to me 'cause it the total opposite from the way I usually see and deal with the world and I was so confused for such a long time I just wanted to kill myself. It's better now though and I'm starting to get back to myself again and it feels so good. It's been an eyeopener for me 'cause I realized that I am who I am for a reason and I don't need to change for anyone.

I was just wondering, has anyone here been through anything like this?
Quite similar in fact from beginning to end. I was just wondering as I read the first paragraph if suppression of my dominant function could cause the same kind of future-based anxiety. If I don't go day by day the anxiety can come back so I try to not do so as much as possible. I had a few panic attacks too as well as chronic anxiety.

I was also wondering about the personalities that are forced on us from other people. When trying to figure out if I really was an extravert or an intravert, I found a thread about how society prefers extraverts so they are made to feel inferior. Well in my own life, it was the other way around and I realized I was made to suppress a whole hell of a lot of my personality by various people all along and I felt as if I was defective if I got in trouble and criticised repeatedly for just being myself. I even wonder if I suppressed my sensing now because of it's score below Fi in my tests and yet I still favour Se.

Reactions: Ryosuke93

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Take yourself out of the thought process. I know it is hard to do, sometimes I can make myself sick with anxiety. I have learnt a good way in to which to calm myself down. Listening to my Mp3, and dancing usually does the trick. Obviously you cannot do this at any given time, but if I have had a bad day this usually helps me feel better.

I'm not sure why to be honest, maybe it is keeping my body active that helps me. I would suggest to do it. It doesn't help my problems, of course but it helps me to calm down.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Old thread, but I agree with the OP. The Ni grip is powerful and makes us introverted/anxious, at least for a while. For me, I must have been in the grip for years. I always test as an IN** now.

Only way out for me was going back to Se stuff. Although, sometimes I think I do need to journal more and express my feelings that way which helps re-align me back to who I really am. I say Se and Fi save me from those Ni-fueled states...which on one hand is still incredibly helpful (like in developing our intuition and balancing us out as a person), but sometimes you just need to be who you really are, if you have not been feeling like yourself and spiraling out of control.

I guess for an ESTP, Se and Ti would do the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts